DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro antenna upgrade

Timothypugh151

Reactions
Distance is not an issue, however I live in the Appalachian Mountains and often times run into interference from trees'/mountain tops. Yeah I could probably drive to the closest mountain top and take off from there but I like flying from home. Hell 5 mile radius 360 degree is pretty dang good but i'm looking for an extra edge. Signal that will penetrate lightly dense tree cover and things like that. ideally I want to take off from the valley I am in fly over the mountain and DOWN into the next valley and be able to land (never happen but sounds cool as ****)

Distance is not an issue, however I live in the Appalachian Mountains and often times run into interference from trees'/mountain tops. Yeah I could probably drive to the closest mountain top and take off from there but I like flying from home. Hell 5 mile radius 360 degree is pretty dang good but i'm looking for an extra edge. Signal that will penetrate lightly dense tree cover and things like that. ideally I want to take off from the valley I am in fly over the mountain and DOWN into the next valley and be able to land (never happen but sounds cool as ****)
you are asking a bit to much from your equipment,the signal from the trans will not go over the mountain and down the other side if you lost signal the mav would do a RTH and trees take a lot of signal and cause disconnects

Yea that's asking a little much. But would the circular antenna's or an alientech or any others help penetrate through tree's?

You can't bend radio waves. You can reflect them which is hard to do over a mountain, maybe on a cloudy day. A repeater on the top of the mountain would work but due to cost and regulations is probably not feasible. Best of luck. Remember to set the RTH altitude high enough to clear the trees.

Reactions: maven4336
signal boosters that you mention could give you a more stable signal as long as they were pointing directly at the mav as they are omni directional,but even then you would still get some signal loss in trees, more so when they are in leaf, its the moisture in the leaves that tend to absorb the signal

Reactions: hactick
You can't bend radio waves. You can reflect them which is hard to do over a mountain, maybe on a cloudy day. A repeater on the top of the mountain would work but due to cost and regulations is probably not feasible. Best of luck. Remember to set the RTH altitude high enough to clear the trees.
Do clouds reflect the M2 radio waves? If that were true, wouldn't we lose signal in clouds? That has not been my experience.

You'd need Litchi for that, where the mission continues even when signal is lost.
For an edge, you are better off getting on top of your roof to penetrate dense tree cover than trying to increase signal blocked by LOS. Also, try a $17 Mavic windsurfer to focus the signal direction.

Reactions: Mavic 2 Pro Pilot
That was tongue in cheek. In the SW and AM bands you can bounce off the ionosphere. Not so much in the 2.4 ghz range
Thanks for clarifying. I assume the same is true of the 5.8Ghz range, too, in that it will penetrate, and not be reflected?

Thanks for clarifying. I assume the same is true of the 5.8Ghz range, too, in that it will penetrate, and not be reflected?
Yeah. Once your in the ghz range you have pretty good penetration. You give up range though. That’s why 5G cellular needs way more towers

Okay, I'll be the one to bring up the Line of Sight legal aspect of flying here, since no one else has. You are flying illegally if you are experiencing a loss of signal. If the drone can't pick up a signal, you surely can not see it and that type of flying causes the rest of us some concern. Because actions like that mean an irresponsible pilot which means more restrictions for the rest of us down the road, as and when such flyers cause problems. Yes most have probably lost sight at some point while flying, but it is not something a responsible flyer wants to do, every flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54