DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro battery swelling

Paulis

Reactions
So over the past week, I noticed two of my five batteries developed a slight swell. They rocked slightly. I contacted DJI to investigate options. The tech I was chatting with asked for videos of each battery serial number, and the rock test. When I uploaded them for review, it took a few moments and I was then instructed to do something very very odd. Send video of each battery, including the serial number being dipped in 5% saline and water. Once completed, I was told I would be provided a voucher to purchase new ones from the DJI store. I have never heard of anything like this. Anyone else?

** She told me I could just pour table salt in a container of water.

@Paulis putting a lipo in a saline solution for a couple of days ,causes the battery to discharge, down to a very low level ,and renders it safe for disposal ,at a battery disposal facility
the video they asked for, is to prove that you have basically destroyed the battery, by putting it in the saline solution ,and are not just saying that it is swollen ,to get a free replacement

@Paulis putting a lipo in a saline solution for a couple of days ,causes the battery to discharge, down to a very low level ,and renders it safe for disposal ,at a battery disposal facility
Thanks. I learn something new every day...

Reactions: old man mavic
I did not know either

I just pitch 5 batteries and purchase 5 more from DJi

How old were your batteries when they started swelling?
I purchase my MP3 within days of DJI releasing the Drone. The batteries I replace was the original batteries when I purchase the drone I purchase 6.
and I replace all of them, except one, right last September 2021. six(6) new ones. I have seven(7) total for my MP2. one of my original ones still hanging in there.

I cannot remember when DJI first release the MP3...right of the top of my head. I am still using the drone for work. I also have purchase a MP3 Cine.
Kind of using it part time for work, where I can. I need the SDK release from DJI, so that I can use Drone deploy, Pix4D capture, and litchi for work.

the video they asked for, is to prove that you have basically destroyed the battery, by putting it in the saline solution ,and are not just saying that it is swollen ,to get a free replacement
Thank you for this. I had no idea at all.

Reactions: old man mavic
How old were your batteries when they started swelling?
I have only had the drone for one year. I bought it from Adorama. It came with the fly more kit. One was manufactured 26-Sep-2018 and the other 16-Oct-2018.

So over the past week, I noticed two of my five batteries developed a slight swell. They rocked slightly. I contacted DJI to investigate options. The tech I was chatting with asked for videos of each battery serial number, and the rock test. When I uploaded them for review, it took a few moments and I was then instructed to do something very very odd. Send video of each battery, including the serial number being dipped in 5% saline and water. Once completed, I was told I would be provided a voucher to purchase new ones from the DJI store. I have never heard of anything like this. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Yes,
I just went through this, I had a 5 replaced.
I will admit was a little nervous n the batteries and salt water part, however it was nothing a few bubble and thats it.
Funny thing happened, while videoing them going it one of the batteries just started to split in my hand.
I did not get a voucher , I got an email from support stating, 5 batteries with serial numbers are on their way.
Just amazing , they did this. I cam here to post this but found this thread instead. lol
I am glad its out there 150 per battery is a lot. I did however buy 3 batteries before hand to finish a job before new ones came. So I will have plenty of batteries lol.

Reactions: Paulis
Similar experience for me. 3 of 3 batteries on my Mavic Air 2 swelled, after 2 years of having this bird. One was pretty bad, but the other 2 were just starting to show signs. I drowned one and got it replaced, and did a couple more flights with the other 2 but used a strong velcro strap around the drone just in case. I'm actually amazed that DJI is replacing batteries like this, but I'm guessing it's a pretty big liability for them if a battery ever "pops." I'm hoping (and I'm sure DJI is too) that the replacement batteries are built differently to avoid swelling in the future?

Similar experience for me. 3 of 3 batteries on my Mavic Air 2 swelled, after 2 years of having this bird. One was pretty bad, but the other 2 were just starting to show signs. I drowned one and got it replaced, and did a couple more flights with the other 2 but used a strong velcro strap around the drone just in case. I'm actually amazed that DJI is replacing batteries like this, but I'm guessing it's a pretty big liability for them if a battery ever "pops." I'm hoping (and I'm sure DJI is too) that the replacement batteries are built differently to avoid swelling in the future?

Swelling is a SYMPTOM if the battery deteriorating. The danger isn't merely the battery popping out but the battery is telling you it is GOING to fail in the near future. Once you see ANY sign of swelling, even if minor, that battery should no longer be considered a Flight Battery every again. Swelling is your first (and usually only) indicator to a pending failure.

Swelling is a SYMPTOM if the battery deteriorating. The danger isn't merely the battery popping out but the battery is telling you it is GOING to fail in the near future. Once you see ANY sign of swelling, even if minor, that battery should no longer be considered a Flight Battery every again. Swelling is your first (and usually only) indicator to a pending failure.
You are preaching to the choir, my friend! There are many things that can go wrong with a drone aside from the battery, but this particular issue seems different to DJI as they are seemingly replacing them well beyond the warranty period.

I am having the same problem with 4 of my 5 batteries.
I want to contact DJI the same way you did:
When contacting DJI Support to do a chat, you are prompted to select Inquiry Type: DJI Store Sales, Technical Suppprt, DJI Care services, and Repair & Replacement Progress.
Which did you choose?
Also did you do an online chat or call on phone?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to the best route to contact DJI on this issue. Thanks

I am having the same problem with 4 of my 5 batteries.
I want to contact DJI the same way you did:
When contacting DJI Support to do a chat, you are prompted to select Inquiry Type: DJI Store Sales, Technical Suppprt, DJI Care services, and Repair & Replacement Progress.
Which did you choose?
Also did you do an online chat or call on phone?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to the best route to contact DJI on this issue. Thanks
Technical support by way of chat. Amazing experience.

Thanks.
I'll try Chat / Technical Support then.
I hope I get the same luck you did.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661