DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro FPV Starlight/Night Vision Camera Options

Ratfink11

Reactions
I have a new Mavic 2 Pro with the Hasselblad camera and will be used primarily for nightime security patrol on a large commercial property.

From my research I have found DJI may have released further updates that allow for better nightime flying and video. IE: Dolly... As well as filter options. If I can solve my need for night vision by adding 850nm leds and or filters then im set.

If not second option:

Is there a Starlight FPV Camera that I can attach such as the Foxeer Micro Cat?
Im also looking for small 850nm led illuminators. They are easy enough to build but prefer to purchase if available.

Third option and prefer this option depending on resolution.

Thermal sensor. Again I can build or cannabilize one together. But if there is an affordable ready made solution that would be best.

I dont wish to get into the legalities of night flying on private property or otherwise. If anyone who owns a business and deals with loser drug addict homeless thieves on a daily basis should understand my position. I will do what is needed to protect my business at any cost since politicians/ law enforcement are useless. Its not my intention to be disrespectful to anyone, pilots, or Johnny Law. However I care not about legal repercutions, excuses or opinions.

Again my appologies in advance. Thankyou for your help and knowledge.

Ratfink

For your application, the M2 Enterprise Dual (with thermal imaging sensor along with a regular camera) would seem like a better, albeit expensive) option. There was a used one in the classifieds here just yesterday.

Thanks... I looked into that option but anything with flir on it is insanely priced. I found Tony at Suas, Looks like he developed a lepton version around 600.00. I only need something to detect basic heat signatures and shapes at distance. Basically being able to hover over a drugged out thief hiding in pitch black in a Blackberry Jungle, trees, train tracks, and under bridges, buildings, etc... So I can direct law enforcement to apprehend them. Still surprised law enforcement doesnt have cheap basic starlight digital night vision monoculars for cops working nights.

Ok... So it looks like I will be building something with ir illumination (ir leds) drag city....

Solution for inexpensive night vision does exist. Here is how I am implementing it.
1. This type of night vision is considered "Digital Night Vision" Basically all digital camera sensors, even the ones for the Mavic 2 Pro can see in the full UV Sprectrum as well as visible light sprectrums.

2. All these camera sensors have a small clear UV filter glued to the front of the camera sensor. Dissasembling camera, and removing this UV Filter allows anyone to view in UV Spectrum from the camera sensor. UV filter is replaced with a clear piece of Quartz glass to protect sensor.

3. Adding 2 high power IR LEDs or a small IR Illuminator in 850nm range to drone will allow anyone to view in pitch black out to about 600 feet.

4. You will need to do the full spectrum modification and purchase filters from Kolari Vision. They are very helpful and can also do conversion for you.

Reactions: Gator9329
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada