DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro - Fuzzy Out-of-Focus Videos

JoHarley

Reactions
Flew today using 3 batteries creating like 10 video files. The first two video files were totally fuzzy and out of focus. The next 5-6 videos are crystal clear and beautiful. Then the last couple videos were again fuzzy and out of focus??
After watching the out of focus videos, I think I figured it out and need advice. I normally start off a flight by immediately starting the video recording before takeoff. Here’s what I think the problem was. I started by placing the Mavic on the street, very close to and with the camera pointed to a red curb. My guess is the Mavic focused on this red curb. I started the recording before lifting off the ground. The Mavic kept the focus that it started on the red curb. It never re-focused after taking off. Thus the entire video was out of focus.
So now my question is this, why didn't the Mavic’s camera re-focus as the drone rose above the red curb? OR - how can I have the Mavic’s camera be refocused while in flight?

Last edited:
Is AF enabled?
You can assign C1/2 to center focus.
Just a thought not an expert.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely have a look.
I'm going out today to see if I can recreate the problem so as to verify what I 'think' happened. I'll post the results later today.

More food for thought... One thing that I'm not thrilled with the Mavic compared to my Phantom 3 Pro is that I'm back to using the SMALL screen of the iPhone verses my iPad Mini. For example, yesterday while flying over the ocean I saw a couple of whales spouting with my naked eye, but for the life of me I could not find them on my screen; at any altitude. When I viewed the videos, at one point I saw both whales, just as I flew over and away from them. Got to figure a way to use the iPad Mini or even my iPad Air.
Would like to try the DJI goggles or other FPV goggles. Does anybody know of anyone renting FPV goggles that can be connected to the Mavic? Would be fun to test before investing almost $400.

Thanks for the tip. I was able to reproduce the fuzziness/out-of-focus this morning. The camera locked in on the curb and after take off it never readjusted it's focus. But again, it's SO hard to see it the image is even in focus on the iPhone screen...

Thanks so much for you input.
Jerry

More food for thought... One thing that I'm not thrilled with the Mavic compared to my Phantom 3 Pro is that I'm back to using the SMALL screen of the iPhone verses my iPad Mini. For example, yesterday while flying over the ocean I saw a couple of whales spouting with my naked eye, but for the life of me I could not find them on my screen; at any altitude. When I viewed the videos, at one point I saw both whales, just as I flew over and away from them. Got to figure a way to use the iPad Mini or even my iPad Air.
Would like to try the DJI goggles or other FPV goggles. Does anybody know of anyone renting FPV goggles that can be connected to the Mavic? Would be fun to test before investing almost $400.

Thanks for the tip. I was able to reproduce the fuzziness/out-of-focus this morning. The camera locked in on the curb and after take off it never readjusted it's focus. But again, it's SO hard to see it the image is even in focus on the iPhone screen...

Thanks so much for you input.
Jerry
I am brand new to drone piloting, but I noticed a place in the menu tree where you could alter the resolution of the image sent to the phone. Do you have yours setup at the highest resolution?

Paul

I find the constant focus hunting a bit annoying so when it's in the air, I tap the something distant to auto focus then switch to manual.

Sometimes, it just won't auto focus unless I reboot the drone and/or controller. If it's already in the air and the focus won't seem to set right, I just use manual focus.

I forget details due to not flying a lot for the last few months, but one thing I do always remember is to take off, get a little height and then press my C1 for center focus before hitting record button. I get perfect focus from there on.

I used to just have auto record on, but it wouldn't stay focused. If it was recording and I hit my C1, it would momentarily focus, but then go out of focus.

I fly mainly Litchi waypoint missions so I pretty much only use Litchi. Because of that, I can't remember if i have to do the same procedure if I want to use DJI Go 4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer