DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro gimbal noise and problems

shpongl3d

Reactions
Hello everyone!
Last week for a trip on a boat I took my Mavic 2 Pro and 2 batteries. A bit salty and sandy enviorment, but I was careful not to get any dirt or water inside the drone. The first flight was without any problems, but when I tried taking off after changing battery, during initialization gimbal began making high pitched noise and I got the message "Gimbal motor overloaded. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed"
Since then it have never completed initialization, I am always getting "gimbal overload" message, so I did not fly it again.
I have aleready tried moving the gimbal in all rotations, it moves freely without any resistance, and also blowing compressed air into all the gimbal motors, but it din't not help.

short video of gimbal's behaviour

What else can I try? And in what order I should I start changing internal parts?
The scratches on the gimbal are from a crash 2 years ago and are not connected in any way to the current problem
I was really hoping I won't need not to buy a new drone until new Air is out :)

Reactions: Hossam Tawfol
It stops most often like in the video, with gimbal yaw motor as far left as possible, but not always. Sometimes it stops nearly centered, but it never completes calibration.

It may just be a coincidence that the gimbal issue started when it did and could still be related to your initial crash.

It looks as though the horizontal gimbal motor can drive ok to the left but not to the right. Very gently, when stuck in the left position, do you feel any resistance moving the gimbal to the right?

Check the gimbal ribbon cable carefully by making sure it is fully seated and with a magnifying glass check for hairline cracks.

So under windy conditions , the Gimbal ribbon is likely to tear, and most likely you should just replace gimbal ribbon I had this happen to the Mavic 2 in some wicked conditions over the lake . It can also tear from leaving the Gimbal Cover on . From my research the Mavic 2 has a weak spot when getting hit with a side wind and thus tear the gimbal ribbon even pull it out.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

Reactions: sir_ian
I had the SAME EXACT issue, where it would work but it took me talking the battery out 5-10 times in a row and just constantly waiting for that noise to stop finally...I flew like this for maybe 5-6 months before taking it in.. I would just bite the bullet and keep waiting until it would calibrate WITHOUT the noise.I took it in and it was the gimbal ribbon that was damaged. it was so annoying on all levels.

Thanks for replies everyone!
I tried "turning it off and on again" 10 times more, but it didn't help. Also I tried moving the gimbal from position it was stopping in, but there was no mechanical resistance, just magnetic, like the motors were trying to hold it in that exact place. After moving the gimbal a little bit it moved some more, but did not complete calibration anyway.

I wonder if by the gimbal ribbon you mean this cable?

20221102_091855.jpg

I unplugged it and plugged again, it did not help, but it looks like it may be damaged, so I ordered a replacement, hope it arrives soon.

Hi,
I have a Mavic air 2.
I have an issue, when i turn on the drone, the gimble doesn’t move(also doesn’t do the noise when turn on the drone) the Elice move, is ok. but the gimble nothing.
not recognize with the application. its look like i turn on but doesn’t recognize the drone and the gimble is stuck or something like that.

I send it to an official dji store. They told me that

“The cardan shaft arm module is not working properly. The motherboard module

the aircraft is not working properly”

The problem is that they told me is 500 Dollars repair. I buy a new one with that money

What can I do with this problem? Anyone can give me any recommendation?

Hi,
I have a Mavic air 2.
I have an issue, when i turn on the drone, the gimble doesn’t move(also doesn’t do the noise when turn on the drone) the Elice move, is ok. but the gimble nothing.
not recognize with the application. its look like i turn on but doesn’t recognize the drone and the gimble is stuck or something like that.

I send it to an official dji store. They told me that

“The cardan shaft arm module is not working properly. The motherboard module

the aircraft is not working properly”

The problem is that they told me is 500 Dollars repair. I buy a new one with that money

What can I do with this problem? Anyone can give me any recommendation?
Has the aircraft had an accident/crash before the gimbal problem occurred?

Do you get any video image from the camera?

Thanks for replies everyone!
I tried "turning it off and on again" 10 times more, but it didn't help. Also I tried moving the gimbal from position it was stopping in, but there was no mechanical resistance, just magnetic, like the motors were trying to hold it in that exact place. After moving the gimbal a little bit it moved some more, but did not complete calibration anyway.

I wonder if by the gimbal ribbon you mean this cable?

View attachment 156630

I unplugged it and plugged again, it did not help, but it looks like it may be damaged, so I ordered a replacement, hope it arrives soon.
Could you fix it?

Could you fix it?
I changed the "gimbal ribbon" and unfortunately that did not fix the problem, so now I have ordered the "gimbal flex cable", hopefully changing that will help. Unfortunately changing this other cable is quite complicated, but there are some good video tutorials on youtube so I think I can manage ;).
This is the cable I have ordered now:
Screenshot_20221127_070339.png

I changed the "gimbal ribbon" and unfortunately that did not fix the problem, so now I have ordered the "gimbal flex cable", hopefully changing that will help. Unfortunately changing this other cable is quite complicated, but there are some good video tutorials on youtube so I think I can manage ;).
This is the cable I have ordered now:
View attachment 157605
Sorry my english
I hva some solution. I have found the same drone which gimbal work perfectly. i removed "broken" gimbal and have instaled on new drone. Gimbal worked as well. on old drone instaled new gimbal(from new drone) , which didnt work:
I decidid to install also gps module from new drone to old drone , and flex cable: After that gimbal started work. And i returned old drone parts. And gimbal on both drone started work withut an issues.

Hello everyone!
Last week for a trip on a boat I took my Mavic 2 Pro and 2 batteries. A bit salty and sandy enviorment, but I was careful not to get any dirt or water inside the drone. The first flight was without any problems, but when I tried taking off after changing battery, during initialization gimbal began making high pitched noise and I got the message "Gimbal motor overloaded. Check whether gimbal clamp is removed"
Since then it have never completed initialization, I am always getting "gimbal overload" message, so I did not fly it again.
I have aleready tried moving the gimbal in all rotations, it moves freely without any resistance, and also blowing compressed air into all the gimbal motors, but it din't not help.

What else can I try? And in what order I should I start changing internal parts?
The scratches on the gimbal are from a crash 2 years ago and are not connected in any way to the current problem
I was really hoping I won't need not to buy a new drone until new Air is outHello

Hello everyone!

Hello,
I’m facing exactly exactly the same problem you had with my mavic pro2 even the I had the same sound coming from the gimbal with can hear in your Vedio .

I ordered used complete gimbal housing without camera from china which coast me 350 $ . I installed but the exact problem and sound still existing.

I didn’t replace the ribbon

I will highly appreciate if you can tell me how you over come this problem or it still existing with your drone
Thanks
Hello everyone!

Hello,
I’m facing exactly exactly the same problem you had with my mavic pro2 even the I had the same sound coming from the gimbal with can hear in your Vedio .

I ordered used complete gimbal housing without camera from china which coast me 350 $ . I installed but the exact problem and sound still existing.

I will highly appreciate if you can tell me how you over come this problem or it still existing with your drone
Thanks
Unfortunately I did not manage to fix this problem, even though I replaced both the "Gimbal Flat Ribbon Flex Cable" which was pretty easy, and also "Gimbal Video Signal Transmission Line Flex Cable" which was pretty hardcore.
I was thinking about replacing the whole gimbal, but was not sure it would help, so in the end I sold my Mavic 2 Pro "as it is" was for about 350$, and bought Mini 3 Pro, which I like a bit more (although it has some drawbacks). So unfortunately I can't help you solve this problem.
Here is a video showing how to replace both cables, if you want to try it:

Hello,

Thanks
Shpongl3d's reply demonstrates the problem with DIY repairs, even if physical damage if evident often we are guessing about the source or sources of the problem, especially where gimbal/camera combinations are concerned.
Since the ribbon cable is comparatively cheap when compared to the $350 you have already spent, it might be worth replacing that just to see it it is the problem but I would not spend any more money beyond that on DIY repair attempts. I would probably work out cheaper and better, to send the drone into DJI for repair.

Shpongl3d's reply demonstrates the problem with DIY repairs, even if physical damage if evident often we are guessing about the source or sources of the problem, especially where gimbal/camera combinations are concerned.
Since the ribbon cable is comparatively cheap when compared to the $350 you have already spent, it might be worth replacing that just to see it it is the problem but I would not spend any more money beyond that on DIY repair attempts. I would probably work out cheaper and better, to send the drone into DJI for repair.
Thanks for your replay. I will ordered the ribbon cable and give it a try. Unfortunately I'm forcing to go for DIY because I'm living in Egypt and there is no authorized DJI service in Egypt.
I think the problem coming from receiving defective part from china since I notice that the yaw motors are different as you can see in the attached picture. but the seller mentioned that this is the new version but I'm not sure if what he saying is true.

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Unfortunately I did not manage to fix this problem, even though I replaced both the "Gimbal Flat Ribbon Flex Cable" which was pretty easy, and also "Gimbal Video Signal Transmission Line Flex Cable" which was pretty hardcore.
I was thinking about replacing the whole gimbal, but was not sure it would help, so in the end I sold my Mavic 2 Pro "as it is" was for about 350$, and bought Mini 3 Pro, which I like a bit more (although it has some drawbacks). So unfortunately I can't help you solve this problem.
Here is a video showing how to replace both cables, if you want to try it:

Thanks for your replay. I'm trying with the seller to solve the problem since I believe he sent me defective part. I notice that the yaw motor is different from the original one. what on left side is the original DJI one

Attachments

• IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada