DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro help

Bo Beck

Reactions
Hi fellow pilots,
I am new to the Mavic experience. I have a new Mavic 2 Pro and flying for only 2 weeks. Question: when I make a Yaw turn right or left while filming, the picture is a little jerky. Is there a fix for this. I have tried to make extremely slow turns but it’s still jerky. I would love to get some advise from you pros out there.
Bo

Reactions: Radpyppy
Hi fellow pilots,
I am new to the Mavic experience. I have a new Mavic 2 Pro and flying for only 2 weeks. Question: when I make a Yaw turn right or left while filming, the picture is a little jerky. Is there a fix for this. I have tried to make extremely slow turns but it’s still jerky. I would love to get some advise from you pros out there.
Bo

To get the more smooth recording you need to use ND filters and follow the 180 -rule.
ND filters are used to help reduce your shutter speed in order to follow the 180-degree rule while maintaining proper exposure. The 180 degree refers to the shutter angle used with film cameras, a 180-degree shutter will equal to double the frame rate (e.g., 24fps @ 1/48)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots !!

Hi Bo Beck Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Is your SD card fast enough ? You want something like a San Disk Extreme with the symbols V30 = video speed & U3 = minimum write speed.
Like zeusfl says you want a shutter speed twice the frame rate eg 30 fps – 1/60 shutter, Neutral Density filters will help to get the desired shutter speed.

Reactions: Thomas B and zeusfl
Is your SD card fast enough ? You want something like a San Disk Extreme with the symbols V30 = video speed & U3 = minimum write speed.
Like zeusfl says you want a shutter speed twice the frame rate eg 30 fps – 1/60 shutter, Neutral Density filters will help to get the desired shutter speed.

True. I forget the SD card.

To get the more smooth recording you need to use ND filters and follow the 180 -rule.
ND filters are used to help reduce your shutter speed in order to follow the 180-degree rule while maintaining proper exposure. The 180 degree refers to the shutter angle used with film cameras, a 180-degree shutter will equal to double the frame rate (e.g., 24fps @ 1/48)

Yes, I always try and shoot (PAL) 25fps @ 1/50th. Works every time. From the world of FILM!!

Reactions: zeusfl
I did get a Scan disc extreme 128 V30 with my purchase. I’m new to the film world so the shutter speeds are new to me. I did get several filters with my purchase of the Mav 2 but I had no idea that they could effect my shutter speeds.

Yes, I always try and shoot (PAL) 25fps @ 1/50th. Works every time. From the world of FILM!!
Thank you for the advise. I will try these settings and the filters. Not really sure how to get to these settings in my mav 2. Is there a really good training video on the mav 2 camera. By the way, I also have the smart controller if that makes any difference.

I did get a Scan disc extreme 128 V30 with my purchase. I’m new to the film world so the shutter speeds are new to me. I did get several filters with my purchase of the Mav 2 but I had no idea that they could effect my shutter speeds.

Here is what happen. When you set for example the recording rate of 30fps and 60 shutter speed in a sunny day ISO 100 that is what you want to reduce the noise, everything will look overexposure= too much light. Then to compensate the excess of light you use an ND filter that will decreases the light that the sensor is receiving. The shutter speed is for how long will be the sensor eye open in photography or angle in video.

When you select 60, refer a 60 of a second 1/60. The longer the sensor is open, the more light will receive.

When you shoot 60 fps following the 180 rule you need to set the shutter speed at 120 what make it easier to archive with no ND filter or may be ND8 or ND16 filter. Again all depends how sunny is.

Check this video.

Last edited:
Here is what happen. When you set for example the recording rate of 30fps and 60 shutter speed in a sunny day ISO 100 that is what you want to reduce the noise, everything will look overexposure= too much light. Then to compensate the excess of light you use an ND filter that will decreases the light that the sensor is receiving. The shutter speed is for how long will be the sensor eye open in photography or angle in video.

When you select 60, refer a 60 of a second 1/60. The longer the sensor is open, the more light will receive.

When you shoot 60 fps following the 180 rule you need to set the shutter speed at 120 what make it easier to archive with no ND filter or may be ND8 or ND16 filter. Again all depends how sunny is.

Check this video.
Great advice Z. I will watch video. Thank you so much. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Reactions: zeusfl
No problem.

Hi fellow pilots,
Bo
There's simply no way to eradicate the panning (yawing) stutter completely. It's a very basic principle of every moving picture compiled with a sequence of STILLS exposed at specific rate (fps). More frames per second recorded and played back may create the illusion of a panning smoothness, i.e. standard 60, 120 or even 240 fps. Stutter will be still there, but is less noticeable. Motion blur introduced by 180 rule will camouflage this annoyance, but only to a degree. Camera panning is a big No-No in film art, unless the intention is to track a moving object. Try to avoid this, master point of interest approach instead when making turns ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU