DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro lost

Droneshot

Reactions
Last week I was flying at sunset on a mountain top over a hour away. The drone was only about 545 feet away and in clear sight of me. I was just moving around a little taking pictures, the last few just looking straight down. There are no homes or power lines for miles from where I was and the top of the mountain top where I was didn't have any trees around and was the highest point in the area. I had two warnings pop up and only was able to read one that said something about not blocking the antenna when I was in plane view of the drone. I heard the sound of the drone rpm speed up then go silent and then got a disconnect on the controller. At that point I tried to reconnect and figured the drone would return to home and it never did. It was getting to dark and late to go far to look very much for it. I went back three times looking for it with the find my drone on the DJI app. I was way above anything in the area. I have given up and now shopping for another Mavic 2 Pro drone. I had over thirty hours of flying time on that drone without any issues. I have a Phantom 4 Pro so at least I'm not grounded completely but really loved the Mavic. I'm not sure if this is what someone needs to maybe give me a idea of what happened DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com . Thanks for any help or ideas

• Wow
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Last week I was flying at sunset on a mountain top over a hour away. The drone was only about 545 feet away and in clear sight of me. I was just moving around a little taking pictures, the last few just looking straight down. There are no homes or power lines for miles from where I was and the top of the mountain top where I was didn't have any trees around and was the highest point in the area. I had two warnings pop up and only was able to read one that said something about not blocking the antenna when I was in plane view of the drone. I heard the sound of the drone rpm speed up then go silent and then got a disconnect on the controller. At that point I tried to reconnect and figured the drone would return to home and it never did. It was getting to dark and late to go far to look very much for it. I went back three times looking for it with the find my drone on the DJI app. I was way above anything in the area. I have given up and now shopping for another Mavic 2 Pro drone. I had over thirty hours of flying time on that drone without any issues. I have a Phantom 4 Pro so at least I'm not grounded completely but really loved the Mavic. I'm not sure if this is what someone needs to maybe give me a idea of what happened DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com . Thanks for any help or ideas
The flight data shows the drone 375 feet up and 550 feet south of the home point.
It is facing east and flying south at full speed when the data just stops.
The pitch, roll and yaw data shows no sudden change that would indicate a collision.
This suggests a sudden complete loss of power.
I heard the sound of the drone rpm speed up then go silent and then got a disconnect on the controller.
The most likely explanation for this is that you pushed the right stick fully towards the right at 10:11.2.
The last line of recorded data shows the right stick suddenly centred.
Did you do that?
It was getting to dark and late to go far to look very much for it. I went back three times looking for it with the find my drone on the DJI app
Find my Drone can only show where the drone was last recorded - not where it crashed after a loss of power.
Where it was last recorded, it was 375 feet higher than the launch point and moving south at 27 mph.
It will have continued moving further south as it fell to the ground.
@sar104 might be able to calculate a likely crash site location from the data.

I see battery voltage drop as it should during a flight. However, why does the battery percentage not change at all? It shows 84% from power up through the entire 10 minute flight.

I see battery voltage drop as it should during a flight. However, why does the battery percentage not change at all? It shows 84% from power up through the entire 10 minute flight.

Which data are you looking at? The smart battery remaining percentage (blue trace) is dropping appropriately. It ends up around 50%:

Battery.png

First I would like to thank those who have looked at my data and given input on what happened. I walked a grid for three or four hours all around the area where it was suppose to be with no luck. More than likely it's up in one of the large pine trees. We had a early winter storm yesterday and probably buried in snow on the mountains right now and not even able to get back to the area.. The last input that I remember giving the drone was moving sideways to get a straight down shot of the trees. There was no wind or birds as it was just about to get dark when I lost it. Do you think the battery could have popped out to just loose all data while in air. I always recharge after batt is cooled when I get home and have never noticed swelling of any of my batteries. Thanks again

The flight data shows the drone 375 feet up and 550 feet south of the home point.
It is facing east and flying south at full speed when the data just stops.
The pitch, roll and yaw data shows no sudden change that would indicate a collision.
This suggests a sudden complete loss of power.

The most likely explanation for this is that you pushed the right stick fully towards the right at 10:11.2.
The last line of recorded data shows the right stick suddenly centred.
Did you do that?

Find my Drone can only show where the drone was last recorded - not where it crashed after a loss of power.
Where it was last recorded, it was 375 feet higher than the launch point and moving south at 27 mph.
It will have continued moving further south as it fell to the ground.
@sar104 might be able to calculate a likely crash site location from the data.
Last I remember I was moving sideways to get a picture looking straight down into the trees when it disconnected. There is no way that I ran into anything as I was way above the trees from the home point and the mountain dropped off from where I was flying so would have been even higher where I lost it. The air was calm and not a bird in sight as it was almost dark. Thanks for your input.

Which data are you looking at? The smart battery remaining percentage (blue trace) is dropping appropriately. It ends up around 50%:

View attachment 82627
My apologies. I did not look at the raw data, but went to the table presented at PhantomHelp. The column for "Battery" shows 84% from start to finish. I guess it was just a problem with PhantomHelp interpreting the logs?

My apologies. I did not look at the raw data, but went to the table presented at PhantomHelp. The column for "Battery" shows 84% from start to finish. I guess it was just a problem with PhantomHelp interpreting the logs?

Probably. @msinger's converter is pretty robust, but occasionally I've noticed odd artifacts in the tabular data.

What was the temperature at the time of loss? Lithium cells do not like really cold temps.

What was the temperature at the time of loss? Lithium cells do not like really cold temps.
It was in the mid 70's but we just had a big cold front that dumped snow and freezing rain. It was beautiful out when it happened and I was in a t shirt.

I saw exactly that in another topic (also 84%):

Which is pretty much why I was saying cold wasn't a factor. It was already running long enough that battery was at normal operating temp.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+