DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro maximum recorded data per 1 flight

lomposlapos

Reactions
What is the absolute maximum amount of data - videos and/or photos (in GB) - that one (1) flight with fully charged battery can generate?
With all the image specs cranked up to the maximum (4K, continuous shooting, max resolution, etc.)

I need to know what is the smallest memory card that can accommodate any and all recordings of videos and photos at max specs.

What is the absolute maximum amount of data - videos and/or photos (in GB) - that one (1) flight with fully charged battery can generate?
With all the image specs cranked up to the maximum (4K, continuous shooting, max resolution, etc.)

I need to know what is the smallest memory card that can accommodate any and all recordings of videos and photos at max specs.
A 32Gb should work fine for several videos. They will be in 4GB increments.

Thank you.
I am looking for the number of GB that max specs (max resolution, burst/continuous setting photo, etc.) video or photo can generate during 1 full flight.

My first MP4 files in full resolution took roughly 1GB/Min. Last friday, I flew about 23 minutes, a little less video in MOV, ISO 100 4K/25fps Shutter 50/sec and got little over 20 GB videofootage. (using 1,5 Bateries in a Mavic Air)

Considering the fact that SD-Cards today are relativly cheap, I use the 32 GB card.

Just be aware, files will be separated into 4GB chunks. On the DJI Go 4 app, it should display how much recording time available on the SD card.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hyperlapse will exceed that if you have the "Save DNG" setting on. It creates a video file at the end, but also retains the RAW files.

Are you sure? I thought it could only record RAW at a maximum 5s interval? And is it a full resolution DNG in hyperlapse?
Hyperlapse will record at Avery 2 to 10 seconds. Hovering for the shots, I find that at a photo every 8 seconds x 125 photos uses a battery down to 10-15% if there’s n/little wind. This synthesizes into about a 30sec hyperlapse on completion of the shots. It’s not Raw in the end, but looks great on my 80” TV.

Hyperlapse will record at Avery 2 to 10 seconds. Hovering for the shots, I find that at a photo every 8 seconds x 125 photos uses a battery down to 10-15% if there’s n/little wind. This synthesizes into about a 30sec hyperlapse on completion of the shots. It’s not Raw in the end, but looks great on my 80” TV.
Will it save full resolution RAWs to the SD card every 2s though? Or only JPEG? Since the specs for the camera say the maximum RAW interval rate is 5s I guess I thought that if you have the “save to SD card” option enabled for “RAW” it would only give you the option for 5s in the hyperlapse settings? Or maybe it only saves them to 4K size?

I was just going off the specs from DJI 75823

I don't know why, but that 5-second spec doesn't apply to hyperlapse.

And yes, they're full size (5568x3648) and about 40MB each (depending).

Hyperlapse aside: Another reason to have a larger cards is if on do not, for whatever reason, change the card with each battery. You might forget and then take off with the next battery; and even if you then remember, would not want to bring it back down simply for a card swap. Or you might see something you need to capture right away and want to get back up in the air pronto after the battery change.

My 128GB cards are probably an overkill, but considering the price difference between 32GB and 64GB, I would definitely get the larger of those two sizes.

Chris

Last edited:
PS: I just checked a hyperlapse project that creates a 12 second video and the DNGs total about 13.5B. So it's fair to say that a 15 second hyperlapse, with the generated video and the DNGs produced, would take about 1/2 of a 32GB card.

PS: I just checked a hyperlapse project that creates a 12 second video and the DNGs total about 13.5B. So it's fair to say that a 15 second hyperlapse, with the generated video and the DNGs produced, would take about 1/2 of a 32GB card.
So just so I can redeem myself here how many .DNGs will it take in 1 minute? Seems like a dumb question but will it take a photo every other second(30/minute) or wait two seconds and take a photo on the third second(20/minute)?

So just so I can redeem myself here how many .DNGs will it take in 1 minute? Seems like a dumb question but will it take a photo every other second(30/minute) or wait two seconds and take a photo on the third second(20/minute)?

Good question. In the DSLR world, the interval is exposure inclusive — the 2 seconds is from shutter open to shutter open, so the exposure time plus the write-to-media time must all happen in that interval before the next interval. But some interval meters have an option to "Add exposure to interval". I've never used that option, but since I've noticed it in the past, it occurs to me reading your question that it's possible that the Mavic does this.

So I loaded that same hyperlapse set of DNGs into LRTimelapse (a tool for exposure ramping / smoothing of images for timelapses) because it has an interval field that gives the actual amount of time between exposures, rounded. Below is a screen capture of the first several. As you can see in the "Interval" column, it's pretty much 2 down the line, so the answer is that it's actually a 2 second interval all inclusive. There's the occasional off exposure where rounding brings it to 3, but the next number compensates with a 1 (I'm not going to track down the microsecond differences that caused that) -- that happened only a few times in the total group.

(I must not have had an ND filter on for that one, with the 1/640 shutter speed — time to go reshoot.)

Chris

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: brett8883
It will take a photo every 2 to 10 seconds with 125 photos as default. It stitched them together in a movie when done. At 8 seconds between shot and wind < 10mph this will take my battery to 25-35 %.

Good question. In the DSLR world, the interval is exposure inclusive — the 2 seconds is from shutter open to shutter open, so the exposure time plus the write-to-media time must all happen in that interval before the next interval. But some interval meters have an option to "Add exposure to interval". I've never used that option, but since I've noticed it in the past, it occurs to me reading your question that it's possible that the Mavic does this.

So I loaded that same hyperlapse set of DNGs into LRTimelapse (a tool for exposure ramping / smoothing of images for timelapses) because it has an interval field that gives the actual amount of time between exposures, rounded. Below is a screen capture of the first several. As you can see in the "Interval" column, it's pretty much 2 down the line, so the answer is that it's actually a 2 second interval all inclusive. There's the occasional off exposure where rounding brings it to 3, but the next number compensates with a 1 (I'm not going to track down the microsecond differences that caused that) -- that happened only a few times in the total group.

(I must not have had an ND filter on for that one, with the 1/640 shutter speed — time to go reshoot.)

Chris
So really it could be even slightly higher then 30 frames per minute since you could have

Frame(2seconds)Frame(2seconds)Frame.

3 frames in 4 seconds. Even assuming 30 frames per minute you’d be slightly over 32GB after 31 minutes so yea you are right a 64GB card would be the smallest SD card to handle the maximum theoretical bit rate.

So really it could be even slightly higher then 30 frames per minute since you could have

Frame(2seconds)Frame(2seconds)Frame.

3 frames in 4 seconds. Even assuming 30 frames per minute you’d be slightly over 32GB after 31 minutes so yea you are right a 64GB card would be the smallest SD card to handle the maximum theoretical bit rate.

It should still be 2 frames in 4 seconds -- a 3rd frame would mean another 2 seconds. See the following diagram, which I grabbed from this wikipedia article on time-lapse (which is really what a hyperlapse is).

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys