DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Plus on the way in 2020?

Feature Request: Memory card access over wifi. I'm sick of fingering my SD card hatch open, juggling it into my house to my computer, forgetting to return it to the drone when I head out, etc.
You are allowed to own more than one microSD card. ;)
Get a couple of extras and put them in your kit, and swap every time you change batteries.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've got 3. I still want it.
I really don't understand the problem. Every time you remove a card, you simultaneously replace it with another. That's what I do. That way, you'll never leave home without a card in the drone. Besides, the M2 has 8GB of internal storage available, even if you do forget a memory card.

I've got 3. I still want it.

Albeit cheaper to purchase a few more microSD cards, there are portable devices that will automatically copy your files to a portable drive in the field, without the use of a computer. Handy for handling multiple cards from your DSLR, GoPro, Drone, Etc...

Because it is wireless, you can also connect it to your phone, Etc... to view files on the drive. Also functions as a battery backup to charge portable devices. Lastly, it has Plexserver built in so you can stream your content on it to your TV's, tablets, Etc...

WD 250GB My Passport Wireless SSD External Portable Drive - WiFi USB 3.0 - WDBAMJ2500AGY-NESN: Amazon.ca: Computers & Tablets

I really don't understand the problem. Every time you remove a card, you simultaneously replace it with another. That's what I do. That way, you'll never leave home without a card in the drone. Besides, the M2 has 8GB of internal storage available, even if you do forget a memory card.

It's my opinion that it would be easier to transmit wirelessly, either to PC or tablet.

Less risk too - I have a canon SLR with a compact flash socket. Somehow I bent a pin inside the CF socket. Was able to bend it back with strong tweezers, but it almost bricked the camera. The new canons (e.g. 6D) now have wifi transfer, exactly what I'm hoping for from the drone.

It's my opinion that it would be easier to transmit wirelessly, either to PC or tablet.

Less risk too - I have a canon SLR with a compact flash socket. Somehow I bent a pin inside the CF socket. Was able to bend it back with strong tweezers, but it almost bricked the camera. The new canons (e.g. 6D) now have wifi transfer, exactly what I'm hoping for from the drone.
Less risk of photo loss, as long as connection is maintained. It will use a very small bit of battery power to do this on the drone. You’ll just have to see if it works for you.

CF cards and microSD cards are entirely different. No pins to bend in a microSD card socket. The connectors slide over each other. As Thomas B stated above, transferring five separate 4GB 4K video files over wifi is time consuming and unreliable. That's why DJI only enables downloading low quality 720p versions wirelessly, if you want them. Wasting three batteries simultaneously (M2, M2 RC, and iPad/iPhone) to do the download is terribly inefficient, especially in the field. The reason the Canon EOS 6D Mark II offers Wifi download is primarily for 26MB still photos for immediate sharing to FB, to help compete with smartphone cameras. Even those super hi-resolution stills are well less than 1% of the size of a 4GB video file!

However, to your point, handle the microSD card very carefully while ejecting it! If it springs away into tall grass while you are still in the field, you'll never find it! I once lost one next to my open car door, and 20 minutes later, thankfully found it inside the car, after first exhausting the search outside the car, before it got completely dark! I now find a safe open place to remove it, or very enclosed space, even going back to the inside of the closed car, for the ultimate in safety, as I can still find it at home later, if I know it is inside the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: passedpawn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa