DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Polar Pro Filters.

Polar Pro makes excellent filters. They are categorized depending on how much light they block. ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, etc; powers of 2. ND4 decreases the amount of light reaching your sensor by 2 f-stops. ND8 is 3 f-stops, etc. Unless you are in very bright places, like full sunlight at the beach or snow, it is unlikely you need ND64 and higher. polarizers are nice when you have mostly sun, to let you "see" through the water and to emphasize clouds. The goal is to use a low ISO to enhance picture quality and to have a shutter speed that is twice your frame rate., to use an aperture around f3-f5, and a shutter speed that is double your frame rate (like 1/50th or 1/60th sec). If you have everything else right, but you need a fast shutter speed for the correct exposure, then using a ND filter is how you reduce the light reaching the sensor.

Polar Pro makes excellent filters. They are categorized depending on how much light they block. ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, etc; powers of 2. ND4 decreases the amount of light reaching your sensor by 2 f-stops. ND8 is 3 f-stops, etc. Unless you are in very bright places, like full sunlight at the beach or snow, it is unlikely you need ND64 and higher. polarizers are nice when you have mostly sun, to let you "see" through the water and to emphasize clouds. The goal is to use a low ISO to enhance picture quality and to have a shutter speed that is twice your frame rate., to use an aperture around f3-f5, and a shutter speed that is double your frame rate (like 1/50th or 1/60th sec). If you have everything else right, but you need a fast shutter speed for the correct exposure, then using a ND filter is how you reduce the light reaching the sensor.

So what’s the best to use for general use? Thank you! Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

My opinion is you will use ND8, ND16, ND32 more that the others. But, if you are flying early or late in the day, you don't need to reduce light, so you wont use the ND filters at all. Or, if you are flying over bright snow or sand (when you are squinting your eyes), you would need higher. But to start, I would pick ones you are most likely to use. I like the Vivid 3-pack because I like how it brings out the clouds. Same thing as if you wear polarized sunglasses how it makes scenery "pop".

My opinion is you will use ND8, ND16, ND32 more that the others. But, if you are flying early or late in the day, you don't need to reduce light, so you wont use the ND filters at all. Or, if you are flying over bright snow or sand (when you are squinting your eyes), you would need higher. But to start, I would pick ones you are most likely to use. I like the Vivid 3-pack because I like how it brings out the clouds. Same thing as if you wear polarized sunglasses how it makes scenery "pop".

Thank you! Will the Vivid collection also be effective for photos! Thumbswayup[emoji1303][emoji16]

I feel it's best to do "vivid" in post production. If you're not down with that -- editing in an app tweaking each photo to make different settings to bring out the best of each individual photo -- then use a vivid filter. But they are ALL going to get that treatment, which isn't necessarily good for every image. Or every person. That's a decision you need to make.

Polarizers have a specific function. They're a tool to use when you need it. People who slap them on and leave them on are not fully understanding that.

ND filters are specially single-purpose filters (reduce the amount of light-transmission only). Mike states a few reasons above. But they are not something to use "for general video" use -- they are made for a specific need. ND filters by themselves do not improve the image -- it simply modifies the light to allow you to use different shutter / aperture settings (mostly for adjusting frame-rate for video).

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I agree with not a speck, you wouldn't just put the filter on and leave it. I prefer to do minimal editing of photos and videos. The filters have a purpose, choose the ones you would use most often, and add the others later. Looking forward to seeing your results!

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I'm a Polar Pro guy but I've been using the Freewell Variable ND filters for awhile. They come I'm a two pack that covers up to 9 stops or ND2ish to ND512.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erechtus