DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro RTH not accurate

5-8ft is very accurate actually for GPS... hard to understand people's expectations sometimes.
Expectations are based on an understanding of what the RTH promises.I too am experiencing issues with the drone returning 10-30 feet away.I'm looking into it.

I have just done my first flight (M2zoom) with 01.00.0200 firmware which supposedly has precision landing. It did not want to land from where it took off. I made sure the home point was set b4 takeoff. When I cancelled and retried. it went even farther off.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
5-8 ft is NOT good for GPS. My P3S landed within a 3ft radius-4' max- all the time. Other M pros land within 2' consistently. My 1st flight of my M2Zoom wanted to land 6 ft from home. Something is not right.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I have just done my first flight (M2zoom) with 01.00.0200 firmware which supposedly has precision landing. It did not want to land from where it took off. I made sure the home point was set b4 takeoff. When I cancelled and retried. it went even farther off.
How did you take off? You have to take off straight up at least 10ft (might be 10m).
If you make certain flight deviations during RTH, it will cancel PL even if it doesn't cancel RTH.

I went straight up to 120M. When it started landing it was far enough off that I cancelled it and moved it, then did RTH again. It was still off. When I moved it again farther away it started landing where I moved it to. Battery was still not critical. I'll try again when it gets warmer outside.

5-8 ft is NOT good for GPS. My P3S landed within a 3ft radius-4' max- all the time. Other M pros land within 2' consistently. My 1st flight of my M2Zoom wanted to land 6 ft from home. Something is not right.

Actually 5 - 8 ft is well within normal accuracy for high-quality civilian GPS (single frequency).

http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/reports/PAN96_0117.pdf

It depends on how many sats you are tracking. My Garmin Handheld will get to 3'-5' with 9 -12 sats. Bottom line is my P3S was very consistent within 3' so a Mavic 2 should be at least as good.

It depends on how many sats you are tracking. My Garmin Handheld will get to 3'-5' with 9 -12 sats. Bottom line is my P3S was very consistent within 3' so a Mavic 2 should be at least as good.

No it doesn't depend on that, and it really doesn't matter how much anecdotal evidence you have - GPS is not consistently that accurate, even in the US with WAAS. Did you read the report that I linked to? Or if you don't like that - just do a search - you will find plenty of documentation and evidence.

Reactions: cdubNga
82 flights with Mavic Pro Platinum, always about 6” away from exact takeoff point using a landing pad. It is a precision takeoff with RTH.

No consumer GPS can consistently get you within 3 ft.
Try reading this from the people that run the GPS system: GPS.gov: GPS Accuracy
Or look at this graph from them to see the variable inaccuracy that's inherent in GPS.
i-TQhpQgT-L.jpg

So the majority of samples are under 3' with a rapid drop approx 4'.
from FAA site

waas.JPG

0.7m is not too bad, wouldn't you say?
Bottom line is still that my P3S consistently landed within 3' from home point.
Since I only flew my M2 once, I can't make a conclusion, but something wasn't right on that flight.

So the majority of samples are under 3' with a rapid drop approx 4'.
from FAA site

View attachment 54584

0.7m is not too bad, wouldn't you say?
Bottom line is still that my P3S consistently landed within 3' from home point.
Since I only flew my M2 once, I can't make a conclusion, but something wasn't right on that flight.

Your P3S definitely doesn't use LPV. 2.9 m is the relevant number.

Optical position is used in combination with GPS. GPS to get in general vicinity considering WASS accuracy. Don’t know how many tests you guys are doing with landing pad, but the contrast sensed by the downward camera is greatly increased. As I mentioned, I am getting very close with the M1P.

Reactions: gfer66
I updated it to .0200 b4 my flight. Maybe I just do not know how to use it.
Must I have a pad to make it work? - my P3S did not and did not have sensors. The M2 was far enough off long b4 it could see the pad - if there was one. So it has to be a GPS issue.
It is 51° now so I guess I will try it again.

Must I have a pad to make it work? - my P3S did not and did not have sensors. The M2 was far enough off long b4 it could see the pad - if there was one. So it has to be a GPS issue.

In a YouTube video a guy tried to land his M2Z using his pad and, in a second test, a circle of stones. The drone landed on the pad but failed on the stones. So I guess Phoenix Drone is right.

Precision Landing isn't magic and needs certain conditions for it to work.
Note particularly B,D & E

Precision Landing
The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom automatically scans and attempts to match the terrain features underneath during Return to Home. When the current terrain matches Home Point terrain, the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom
will start landing.
The DJI GO 4 app will show a terrain feature mismatch prompt if matching fails

Precision Landing performance is subject to the following conditions:
a. The Home Point must be recorded upon takeoff and must not be changed during flight, otherwise the aircraft will have no record of the Home Point’s terrain features.
b. During takeoff the aircraft must ascend vertically 7 m before moving horizontally.
c. The Home Point terrain features must remain largely unchanged.
d. The Home Point terrain features must be sufficiently distinctive.
e. The lighting conditions must not be too light or too dark.

The following actions are available during Precision Landing:
a. Throttle down to accelerate landing.
b. Move the control sticks in any other direction to stop Precision Landing. The Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom will descend vertically after the control sticks are released

In a YouTube video a guy tried to land his M2Z using his pad and, in a second test, a circle of stones. The drone landed on the pad but failed on the stones. So I guess Phoenix Drone is right.
Unless that video was made in the last week and with the latest firmware, his M2 didn't have Precision Landing and would have been using GPS only.
If PL was available, points B, D & E above must also be met.

Unless that video was made in the last week and with the latest firmware, his M2 didn't have Precision Landing and would have been using GPS only.
If PL was available, points B, D & E above must also be met.

The video was published yesterday. It was originally to test new firmware's Precision Landing and compare it with Mavic Pro's PL, and you can see the results, but when the guy was testing a group of youngsters tried to assault him, so in the video he talks more about the assault than the test.

I didn't provide a link to the video because of this and because it's in spanish (the youtuber is colombian), but here it is...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne