DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro + Smart Controller + Pilot PE for mapping

cwthompson100

Reactions
I want to use the above combination for mapping as explained on some YouTube videos.
But when I go through the menus and reach the point to outline a mapping area there is no map. Just black.
When I’m using regular Go app the map is there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I want to use the above combination for mapping as explained on some YouTube videos.
But when I go through the menus and reach the point to outline a mapping area there is no map. Just black.
When I’m using regular Go app the map is there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Hi this is correct the Pilot P is a new version of the pilot app / second version and was designed to work with Mavic 3 drones and Mavic 2 enterprise drones on the Smart controller, and smart controller Pro

My understanding is that DJI stopped using the MapBox service when upgrading to the PILOT P app and as the SM controller for Mavic 2 drone models use Map-box, you will not see the map and PILOT P only works with the Mac 2 enterprise drones this is why you cannot see the map in the Pilot P you have now installed on your SM as it is look at the Map-box mapping service that us use for the GO4 program.

The fix is as follows:

I operate very successfully, the SM and Mavic 2 pro all the time for my mapping but what you need to do is install the original, (first version of pilot app that you can download on to the SM, from DJI, on to SD card then instll onto the SM.

The only short coming is that after installed V1 Pilot you will see the app on your SM and when you open the app from the SM app screen it will ask you after a few seconds every time if you would like to up date, or stay with the current version always select the stay with current version option, as it will try to up date to PILOT P

Then you can use and plan no problems as you like in Pilot and will see maps as V1 Pilot looks at the Map-box service for Mavic 2's and Mavic Min 2 as its is original wasconfigured to work with Map-box.

Now you will need to understand that when you close the Pilot app, the Pilot app icon will disappear each time from the apps screen, but the app has been saved in your down load folder the Icon will just show as PILOT don't reinstall PILOT P as you already have download as it is in the same folder location for for all your update/ downloads,

You will need to reinstall PILOT tap the downloaded for the Pilot app and reinstall as has to be reinstalled each time to re use the PILOT app, this will then place the Pilot icon back on to your app screen on the SC to open Pilot.

I suspect DJI have made the app deliberately unistall itself to stop PPL using it, to try and make PPL have to purchase a enterprise drone.

But the good news is that all the maps that you have saved in the Pilot app have not been deleted and are saved in the SC sub folder system and will be still available for use when you re open the Pilot app from the apps screen, so you can still work on your missions planing and save missions.

I also suggest that you create 2 folders one for maps and one for the Pilot map app on the SD card that I assume you have inserted in the SM, then save additionally all your maps each time on to the SD card by makinga maps folder before each time you close the Pilot app, also then down load the Pilot app on to the SD card from DJ1's web site and save the currnet vershion of Pilot app to the SD card.

This will provide you with a redundancy back up just in case DJI make further amendments updates to the SM, so you can reinstall in the field.

I would also suggest not install any new updates for the SM and Mavic 2 other than new GO fencing as I think the Mavci 2 line is dun adjusted and we will, see no further meaningful updates for the Mavic 2 Pro lines as it is now a redundant drone for DJI, so just case DJI try to squash the use of the original Pilot app for NON Mavic 2 enterprise drones that are Mavic 2 pros with the removed creators options and the only chage is having non rolling shutters for the purpose of aerial survey plus save the Pilot app on you PC as further back up.

Cheers Mark

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4