DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro Upward Sensor Detected Obstacle But Drone Failed to Avoid. Please Help.

pmw42069

Reactions
My Mavic 2 Pro flew directly upward into a tree. I reviewed the flight log and it appears that the drone detected the obstacle above it but ran into it anyway. Can anyone please help me shed light on why this occurred. I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-03-22_[17-46-32].txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-03-22_[17-46-32].txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 6
Upward sensor only works in tripod mode on the M2P.

BTW...
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

My Mavic 2 Pro flew directly upward into a tree. I reviewed the flight log and it appears that the drone detected the obstacle above it but ran into it anyway. Can anyone please help me shed light on why this occurred. I would really appreciate it.
Here's what that flight data looks like:

Actually it's the side sensors that only work in Tripod Mode.
The top sensors are available all the time.
But the sensors have limitations.
Fine branches and poor lighting are two of the things that can give them trouble, others are listed in the manual.

You launched under tree cover, hovered at about 3 feet and at 8.4 sec gave it full left stick to climb.
At 10.7 sec, with the left stick still pushed up, the pitch and roll data show the drone hit something and was tossed around.
At 11.0 sec the sensor warning appears and at 11.1 sec the drone hits something else and is tossed around more, starts to lose height and tumble to the ground.
The drone hit something 0.3 seconds before the sensors detected something.
Possibly there were fine branches that it was unable to detect.

Launching under tree cover is fine if you are careful and gentle on the sticks.
Launching under tree cover and pushing the left stick full forward isn't a good idea.

The OA sensors can sometimes save your bacon, but there are situations where they can't be relied on.

Reactions: pmw42069
As a rule, I NEVER launch without a clear path straight up.
The reason is simple. If I lose control and automatic RTH kicks in, it will return to the initial home point and descend into whatever obstacle is in it's path.
Without a clear path down, that could be a disaster.
If you must launch under cover, just be aware of the risks.

Thanks for your replies. It was totally my own fault an expensive mistake. I failed to notice the tree branches above me. Hopefully I've learned my lesson and hopefully the drone is repairable.

Thanks for your replies. It was totally my own fault an expensive mistake. I failed to notice the tree branches above me. Hopefully I've learned my lesson and hopefully the drone is repairable.
I've been flying Mavic 2 Pro's ( had 2 of em ) now since 2018, and it seems regardless of how careful you are, there's always a gremlin hiding in the woodpile. I was flying at 6-8 ft. on a foggy night trying to capture striking video, when I decided to give up for the night, and mistakenly hit the RTH button. The drone took off climbing straight up into the branches of a tree I was unaware I was under, and I couldn't cancel it in time to keep it from getting tangled in tiny branches 50 ft up ! The damage that occured required me to completely tear it down and rebuild it, which was a hell of an undertaking. It flew again perfectly after my repairs, but what an ordeal. Then months later, that 2018 Mavic 2 Pro disconnected from the controller because the slightly swollen battery backed-off the connectors and it fell like a boulder into the Atlantic Ocean 300 yards off the beach of St. Simons Island, Ga. DJI would "DO NOTHING" for me because it wasn't under warranty ?? I know I was at fault for using a very slightly swollen battery, but all the batteries will swell some from constant heat cycles from flying, so what do you do ?? This is a "known" defect in DJI batteries that cost $135-$150 apiece, and they will do nothing about it !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: pmw42069
I think it fell from about 12 feet. One back arm popping out of the socket, still connected to wires, the other rear arm has damage near the joint but is still attached. One of the LEDs on one of the front arms was damaged and the batteries no longer sit properly.

I was able to calibrate the gimbal and tested the camera controls and that seems fine so i guess i got lucky there. The local repair shop said I can expect to pay about $300 for repairs. I feel like if I get it fixed for less than $500 I'll be lucky.

Does that seem right?

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
I've been flying Mavic 2 Pro's ( had 2 of em ) now since 2018, and it seems regardless of how careful you are, there's always a gremlin hiding in the woodpile. I was flying at 6-8 ft. on a foggy night trying to capture striking video, when I decided to give up for the night, and mistakenly hit the RTH button. The drone took off climbing straight up into the branches of a tree I was unaware I was under, and I couldn't cancel it in time to keep it from getting tangled in tiny branches 50 ft up ! The damage that occured required me to completely tear it down and rebuild it, which was a hell of an undertaking. It flew again perfectly after my repairs, but what an ordeal. I said I "had" two Mavic 2 Pro's, but my 2018 drone disconnected from the controller because the slightly swollen battery backed-off the connectors and it fell like a boulder into the Atlantic Ocean 300 yards off the beach of St. Simons Island, Ga. DJI would "DO NOTHING" for me because it wasn't under warranty ??
Yeah I bought this used so I dont think I have any warranty protection. I have heard of this battery issue and bought velcro straps to belt it in to avoid this nightmare myself. Instead I ran into a different nightmare i thought I was smart enough to avoid. This could have been avoided if I had simply looked up. Lesson learned (hopefully)

If only I had the skills and patience to fix it myself.. I think its best for me to leave it to the pros.

I did the same thing but with a benign result.You are not alone!Hope yours works out ok.

Yeah I bought this used so I dont think I have any warranty protection. I have heard of this battery issue and bought velcro straps to belt it in to avoid this nightmare myself. Instead I ran into a different nightmare i thought I was smart enough to avoid. This could have been avoided if I had simply looked up. Lesson learned (hopefully)

If only I had the skills and patience to fix it myself.. I think its best for me to leave it to the pros.

I'm glad I looked at your post again this morning because I'd forgotten your battery disconnection "solution" with the velcro straps. I may do the same since one of the four batteries I have now in slightly swollen so that solves that issue. I've read warnings about swollen batteries maybe catching on fire, but I think the idea of one bursting into flames while in the air is pretty remote, I least I hope it is. Has anybody else ever heard of this kind of scenario ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123