DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Pro vs Mini 2 for motorcycle travel

mferring

Reactions
Hello all. New user hear. Have owned a Mavic 2 pro for about a year. Love it.

Going on a several month motorcycle cross country trip and want to bring a drone. Although not my favorite, I can stuff my Mavic 2 Pro into the Fly more case which is amazingly small. I have considered purchasing the Mini 2 to take instead. It is much smaller and lighter. However, amazingly, the fly more case for the Mini 2 appears to be about the same volume as the Mavic 2 Pro case. Around 5 x 7 x 9, the weight while traveling doesn't really matter to me. And of course, the Mavic 2 is more capable. And I believe it handles wind much better???

I would really appreciate the opinion of those of you with experience with both drones. If the storage case is basically the same size as my Mavic 2 Pro fly more case, what would be the reason for spending $600 on the Mini 2 for this trip?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Mark

Depends upon your priority. M2P is a full sized 1” sensor, not a 1/2.3” sensor, so the sensor is 4x larger for better dynamic range and low light shooting. Depending upon your M2P FW and app version, your M2P may still allow self authorizing in Blue GEO Zones. Only real advantage to the Mini 2 when traveling is no registration, which means less hassling by LEO because no ID or proof of registration is required, and it is perceived as more of a toy than a threat by bystanders. All new DJI drones now require DJI permission to authorize flying in Blue GEO Zones. I have both drones and still fly the M2P 95% of the time. Save the $600 for new batteries for the M2P. Having the best quality video, and 20MP stills instead of 12MP stills of irreplaceable travel opportunities will pay itself back in spades later!

Hi mferring. We're fans of the Mini 2, which is a great lightweight drone. But if you've already got another DJI drone that fits into the same/similar sized bag and you're happy with it, then why get another one?

We love New Mexico, by the way, having worked there on several occasions.

All the best from the UK.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'd probably take my mini 2. They are easier to fly, less likely to break, hand take offs and landings are easy. Just an easier drone overall to handle and use. However, I use a Mav2Air and Air2S.

I'd probably take my mini 2. They are easier to fly, less likely to break, hand take offs and landings are easy. Just an easier drone overall to handle and use. However, I use a Mav2Air and Air2S.
He already owns a Mavic 2 Pro with a 1” sensor, so anything else is a downgrade in quality, and an additional expense.

He already owns a Mavic 2 Pro with a 1” sensor, so anything else is a downgrade in quality, and an additional expense.
In that case, it just depends on how much quality of an image he wants to get versus ease of carrying, take off, sturdiness, general ease of use. Personally, I'd take both. I'd find room for the mini somewhere. Also, on a long road trip, i would want a back up drone.

In that case, it just depends on how much quality of an image he wants to get versus ease of carrying, take off, sturdiness, general ease of use. Personally, I'd take both. I'd find room for the mini somewhere. Also, on a long road trip, i would want a back up drone.
Conceptually, yes, but he's on a motorcycle, and has room for one or the other, but not both, and already owns the M2P, but not the Mini 2. For the $600 Mini 2 cost he could buy 4 more M2 batteries, which will be far more useful, and can be stashed anywhere, or use the $600 for a new iPad to edit his M2P videos on the road.

Conceptually, yes, but he's on a motorcycle, and has room for one or the other, but not both, and already owns the M2P, but not the Mini 2. For the $600 Mini 2 cost he could buy 4 more M2 batteries, which will be far more useful, and can be stashed anywhere, or use the $600 for a new iPad to edit his M2P videos on the road.
I got an idea. He can by one of those little motor cycle trailers and hook it to the back of his ride. That's the ticket. He may not look so cool, but he could take along a lot more stuff. It would require a trailer hitch though. Probably costs too much anyway.

Attachments

• motor cycle trailer.jpg
    motor cycle trailer.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: gesswein
I got an idea. He can by one of those little motor cycle trailers and hook it to the back of his ride. That's the ticket. He may not look so cool, but he could take along a lot more stuff. It would require a trailer hitch though. Probably costs too much anyway.
Sort of defeats the freedom and simplicity of riding a motorcycle in the first place. Like a U-Haul truck behind a hearse for all the deceased's stuff they intend to take with them! ;)

I already own about 10 DJI aircraft including both the Mavic 2 series (commercial operator) I avoided the Mini 1 like the plague and always swore I had no use for an Air 2 or Mini 2 and yet I bought a Mini 2 precisely for motorcycle travel.

I never trust the carry bags that come with the flymore kit. Too cramped once everything is shoved in there and just too soft to give much protection when packed in with other gear or something on top of it as happens all too often in travel, especially in a work environment travelling hundreds of KM in a day in and out of the vehicle in multiple locations. For this reason I have a hardcase for every aircraft.

Obviously I don’t use the motorcycle for work but for touring and I like to carry a drone with me most of the time because you just know the first time you don’t you’re going to see something you just have to capture right?. Sadly, a Mavic 2 with flymore in a Pgytech hardcase is just that fraction too big to go into my saddlebags, the Mini 2 flymore in hardcase goes in with room to spare and doesn’t get damaged by the myriad other stuff shoved in there with it. It’s also immersion proof let alone weather proof.

The camera on the Mini 2 is surprisingly capable and with a set of ND filters I’m yet to feel handicapped when getting footage for “the family album” or social media, if fact some Mini 2 footage may have slipped in there on some commercial jobs (I won’t tell the customer if you don’t lol).

Yeah, Mini 2 for motorcycle travel 11 times out of 10 for me although of course others will disagree.

Regards

Ari

I already own about 10 DJI aircraft including both the Mavic 2 series (commercial operator) I avoided the Mini 1 like the plague and always swore I had no use for an Air 2 or Mini 2 and yet I bought a Mini 2 precisely for motorcycle travel.

I never trust the carry bags that come with the flymore kit. Too cramped once everything is shoved in there and just too soft to give much protection when packed in with other gear or something on top of it as happens all too often in travel, especially in a work environment travelling hundreds of KM in a day in and out of the vehicle in multiple locations. For this reason I have a hardcase for every aircraft.

Obviously I don’t use the motorcycle for work but for touring and I like to carry a drone with me most of the time because you just know the first time you don’t you’re going to see something you just have to capture right?. Sadly, a Mavic 2 with flymore in a Pgytech hardcase is just that fraction too big to go into my saddlebags, the Mini 2 flymore in hardcase goes in with room to spare and doesn’t get damaged by the myriad other stuff shoved in there with it. It’s also immersion proof let alone weather proof.

The camera on the Mini 2 is surprisingly capable and with a set of ND filters I’m yet to feel handicapped when getting footage for “the family album” or social media, if fact some Mini 2 footage may have slipped in there on some commercial jobs (I won’t tell the customer if you don’t lol).

Yeah, Mini 2 for motorcycle travel 11 times out of 10 for me although of course others will disagree.

Regards

Ari
Our OP already travels happily by motorcycle with his M2P in the M2P Flymore Kit, and has room for it. He would have to buy a $600 Mini 2 Flymore Kit to replace the far better M2P, that he already owns, and is intimately familiar with, including the Go 4 app, and also learn an entirely new Fly app in order to use the Mini 2. He will also no longer be able to self authorize in Blue GEO zones on the Mini 2, like he still can with the older M2P FW and GO 4 app. While each to their own, his specific circumstances, as described, IMHO certainly don't justify replacing his far better M2P with the inferior Mini 2, when once in a lifetime droning opportunities come up while traveling, where he may not be able to launch the Mini 2, and where quality trumps convenience.

Our OP already travels happily by motorcycle with his M2P in the M2P Flymore Kit, and has room for it. He would have to buy a $600 Mini 2 Flymore Kit to replace the far better M2P, that he already owns, and is intimately familiar with, including the Go 4 app, and also learn an entirely new Fly app in order to use the Mini 2. He will also no longer be able to self authorize in Blue GEO zones on the Mini 2, like he still can with the older M2P FW and GO 4 app. While each to their own, his specific circumstances, as described, IMHO certainly don't justify replacing his far better M2P with the inferior Mini 2, when once in a lifetime droning opportunities come up while traveling, where he may not be able to launch the Mini 2, and where quality trumps convenience.
My Apologies, I obviously didn't make the thrust of my comment clearly enough and perhaps didn't pay enough attention to the blue GEO zone issue.

Are they no longer unlockable on the DJI Fly app? I know that at one point at least they were but honestly, here in Australia at they're really are not an issue leading to my overlooking the apparent importance. I can only think of ever having to get an unlock when flying a job within a military aviation zone and of course we can all understand that. I can not think of another occasion over 4 years I have had need to which would be why I am unaware the option is not available on DJI Fly anymore I suppose. Yet another major difference when not flying within the U.S. apparently.

What I was getting towards was when that "once in a lifetime droning opportunity" arises it would be a crying shame to miss out because your drone is busted from being packed in the damned useless flymore bag and shoved in your sadlebags / panniers. A Mini 2 in a hardcase is much smaller than a Mavic 2 in a hardcase and while there is a difference between footage from the two platforms which owning both I well know it is not that big a difference in most instances. At least not if you have ND filters and some post editing skills. The best drone is the one you have with you (unbroken) and all that.

Regards

Ari

I’ve a Mini 2 on the shopping list for summer travel, even though I have an M2P.

1) Mini 2 *is* more compact and lighter for hiking in. I can see the Mini 2 in my hip pack, with batts & accessories. This would never happen with the M2P, though I could go to a larger camera backpack and do just fine. A lighter smaller drone means it will easily get to more places that I want to fly.

2) For *my* use, easy charging off 12v systems is important in a travel drone. Will be great for boondocking in our teardrop trailer.

Those are to my priorities, your mileage may vary. But, do consider whether 12v charging is desirable. No doubt someone will suggest a 12vDC to 120vAC inverter - no thanks, they’re not very efficient, which is important when boondocking.

My Apologies, I obviously didn't make the thrust of my comment clearly enough and perhaps didn't pay enough attention to the blue GEO zone issue.

Are they no longer unlockable on the DJI Fly app? I know that at one point at least they were but honestly, here in Australia at they're really are not an issue leading to my overlooking the apparent importance. I can only think of ever having to get an unlock when flying a job within a military aviation zone and of course we can all understand that. I can not think of another occasion over 4 years I have had need to which would be why I am unaware the option is not available on DJI Fly anymore I suppose. Yet another major difference when not flying within the U.S. apparently.

What I was getting towards was when that "once in a lifetime droning opportunity" arises it would be a crying shame to miss out because your drone is busted from being packed in the damned useless flymore bag and shoved in your sadlebags / panniers. A Mini 2 in a hardcase is much smaller than a Mavic 2 in a hardcase and while there is a difference between footage from the two platforms which owning both I well know it is not that big a difference in most instances. At least not if you have ND filters and some post editing skills. The best drone is the one you have with you (unbroken) and all that.

Regards

Ari
All good info, covering the spectrum of considerations. As to the blue authorization zones, on the earlier M2P FW with the earlier Go 4 app versions, they are still completely self-authorizing, rather than needing to be unlocked by DJI. You simply check three boxes, whether on the ground or in the air, and off you go. No DJI unlock necessary. Unfortunately, I only have one M2P left with that feature, but it is worth its weight in gold around blue authorization areas when traveling and around home. The Fly app requires all blue authorization flights to be pre-approved by DJI, and then uploaded to the aircraft, where they are only good within specific time limits, and they must be turned on and off to use them, and when on, they create an NFZ everywhere outside the boundaries of the unlock, which just creates one more level of complexity, delay, and point of potential failure when signal is lost or the unlock doesn't work correctly. If the OP currently has an M2P that still allows self-authorizing, I would never trade it for any aircraft that requires unlocks from DJI. I also have and love the Mini 2 for its size, registration free status (no requirement to prove to your identity and pilot status to anyone), and harmless toy appearance that no one perceives as a threat or a danger, but I sill have to have DJI unlocks at most of my favorite places to fly.

Many thanks all for your thoughtful responses. My trip starts in middle of June and I have not decided yet! If I take the M2P I will use the Fly More case since I think I can carefully stow it in my hard side case without damage. I am still tempted to get the Mini 2 since my wife and I plan to travel internationally in our retirement and most countries seem to allow the Mini 2 with no complicated multi country registration (next trip is hiking at the point where Switzerland, Italy, and France meet so would need to register for all three countries....whew...).

But I truly love the M2P and I take off and land in my hand all the time. Easy peasy so not really an advantage to me for the Mini 2. Also, I have flown many times in pretty windy conditions and am still nervous about the ability of the Mini 2 to handle that. For example along mountain ridges with many updrafts and gusts.

For sure, if I go the hardcase route the mini is much smaller to travel with. And as pointed out, I would be hiking during travel and throwing the Mini 2 in my Peak Design Everyday Carry backpack would be much easier.

So maybe having both is the best idea......or am I just trying to convince my wife because I love this tech stuff!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet