DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 safest and easiest Mavic to hand land and launch

I have the Mavic Air and it's pretty easy to launch and land by hand. Hard to say it's the EASIEST until you've tried them all.

I agree DanMc you have to try them all. I found the Air, because of its light weight, a little unsteady in high winds. Yes MOONPIE82 the Phantom 4 Pro is the easiest but I said the easiest and safest Mavic. The Mavic 2 has enough power and tech to remain steady in very high winds and now because of recent software updates is amazingly easy to take off and land in your hand. I will try and explain a bit more in the second vid I will do. The tech in the new Mavic 2 is as revolutionary as the entry of the first Mavic Pro.

I always find it funny when I see people hand catch/launch the drone level to their face and eyes. I personally feel extremely uncomfortable having a blender at eye level. Best way to launch is hold it straight above your head that way if the mavic comes down your not getting a face full of spinning props.

Reactions: pmcallen
I agree Mavic Ray you have to do what you feel comfortable with. If you think a particular approach is safe for you then you should go with it.
I feel being in as much control of the aircraft as possible is what I feel comfortable with. Ergonomically I am not comfortable with any form of stretching. Puting you body in a position that causing any strain or stress is not good for me. If conditions are favourable, for example where the aircraft is stable I want to stand in a position where I have maximum control. For me that is "just put your hand out in the most easy natural way. Ergonomics.
So if the aircraft is behaving in a way that is a danger to you don't even think about catching. If weather conditions change unexpectedly for example, risk the thing breaking up on the floor rather than endangering yourself.
So putting your hand out at about low rib cage height gives me the most control of what is happening.

Catching the Maverick 2 from the front or camera end is by far the easiest. You can reach under the quad with plenty of clearance on the rotating props. I have caught it from the rear end and it is very easy to get my fingers hit by the propellers as there's not much clearance back there. Obviously you turn off the sensors before you attempt a hand retrieval.

a friend showed me his injuries after he hand caught his drone. i was amazed at the damage to his arm, fingers, hand etc from such a little ac. ill just stick to landing on the ground

Those blades are designed to get through the air as fast as possible. My legs have had a taste. But that was totally my fault. Whilst merry I thought I would try a Mavic Pro it in a hotel room. Not a good idea. No lasting scars except what is in my head, a moving image in colour and a lesson.

As an advocate of Health and Safety at work for decades I have to say any risk is not worth taking but it's all a matter percentages and quality of life. I have been driving a motorbike and a car for many years, on and off, in Thailand including principal cities, up the highest mountains and most remote areas. My risk of injury or death was a thousand times more likely than been hurt by drone. To me I loved the risk of driving motorbikes, cars and flying drones from my hand. They are also a means to an end. I took a great deal of care and planning but the thrill of calculated risk was to me, worth it. These are risks I take that only affects me, I will not endanger others. But again, it's all a numbers game. On very rare occasions I have flown over people but the risk of them being hurt was minuscule.

The Mavic 2 is easy to hand land. Rocky terrain where I fly makes it necessary. Easy if you always stay focused. Never let your guard down. But us old timers have a short memory so I slip on my cut proof glove just before landing. Two weeks ago I tested my glove. Hurt like heck but no damage. No damage to props either.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb