DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom - Horizon issue

Bryan0026

Reactions
I know there's plenty of threads on this issue for the Mavic 2 Pro but I'm not sure there's any for the Zoom. Probably, but I can't find any. At any rate, I just purchased the Mavic 2 Zoom and used it for the first time the other day doing a photo shoot. I noticed after downloading the files that there a consistent horizon issue as you can see in the photos I attached. Keep in mind it was a bit windy but that's what the gimbal is for, right? As you can see, the left side of the photos are higher than the right side, sloping down to the right. Does anyone else have this issue on their M2Z or do I have a lemon and should I take it back? I've calibrated the gimbal, done everything I could to try and correct it but seems to be the same. I took it out yesterday again and see the same issue. Help! 778647786677867

Do it at the beach on the ocean as you know its flat - you can correct the horizon in the app - I find your pictures are fine - in one photo you have a hill on the left side and it still looks great - the glare from the sun maybe skewing it and you think it's not level - they look good to me

Reactions: Greenflash
So this is footage untouched from the zoom , notice the Horizon its a just a tad off, very comparable to yours.
Easy to fix in post , but yours seems to have maybe just a bit of curve.

Here a quick shot of the Horizon do a test like this to get a better idea if the camera is really off.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Designer of the Lunar Landing Pad.

Also noticed when zooming that nothing appears to be in focus.

Last edited:
I know there's plenty of threads on this issue for the Mavic 2 Pro but I'm not sure there's any for the Zoom. Probably, but I can't find any. At any rate, I just purchased the Mavic 2 Zoom and used it for the first time the other day doing a photo shoot. I noticed after downloading the files that there a consistent horizon issue as you can see in the photos I attached. Keep in mind it was a bit windy but that's what the gimbal is for, right? As you can see, the left side of the photos are higher than the right side, sloping down to the right. Does anyone else have this issue on their M2Z or do I have a lemon and should I take it back? I've calibrated the gimbal, done everything I could to try and correct it but seems to be the same. I took it out yesterday again and see the same issue. Help! View attachment 77864View attachment 77866View attachment 77867
Yup, I do.... it's very little but there... I learned not to stress over it but do the correction in the app. I change it ROLL -0.2 and its leveled to the horizon. Some times I have to go ROLL 0.4 MY YAW is 0.0

Did you adjust gimbal through the app? I don't mean the calibration. In the case you don't know, you go through the camera icon of the menu. Look for the gimbal roll adjuster, then left, or right adjustment as needed.

Did you adjust gimbal through the app? I don't mean the calibration. In the case you don't know, you go through the camera icon of the menu. Look for the gimbal roll adjuster, then left, or right adjustment as needed.
Correct, through the go4 app, just as you described.

Reactions: Bryan0026
Correct, through the go4 app, just as you described.
On my zoom it usually fixes itself if i position drone on perfectly horizontal surface and run gimbal calibration - it restores horizon for a while, then starts drifting a bit, so i adjust in the air. It isnot too bad. Pro gimbal does not seem to drift horizon that much. It does not annoy me too much.

Reactions: Bryan0026
I am glad you mentioned this. My horizon on the M2 zoom has a curved horizon and when I tried to research this aspect on the forum there was little addressing it. I spite of me wearing a tin foil hat I still believe the earth is flat!

Do it at the beach on the ocean as you know its flat - you can correct the horizon in the app - I find your pictures are fine - in one photo you have a hill on the left side and it still looks great - the glare from the sun maybe skewing it and you think it's not level - they look good to me
How do you correct it in the App? I mean they aren’t terrible, the wind that day may have been a factor to the skew.

So this is footage untouched from the zoom , notice the Horizon its a just a tad off, very comparable to yours.
Easy to fix in post , but yours seems to have maybe just a bit of curve.

Here a quick shot of the Horizon do a test like this to get a better idea if the camera is really off.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Designer of the Lunar Landing Pad.

Also noticed when zooming that nothing appears to be in focus.

View attachment 77915

You think I should return it for another one? I just bought it last week and on the fence with returning it due to this issue. Your’s is definitely comparable though. I see that when you zoomed in on the photo, nothing is in focus, was there a specific reason why you’re pointing this out? Did I need to press the screen again to focus when zooming in? I thought the AFC takes care of that?

Yup, I do.... it's very little but there... I learned not to stress over it but do the correction in the app. I change it ROLL -0.2 and its leveled to the horizon. Some times I have to go ROLL 0.4 MY YAW is 0.0
It’s not a complete deal killer but for spending that much, I’d assume DJI get it right with all their testing they do. Those corrections you mention worthwhile?

Didn’t adjust through the app, just did the calibration as I read somewhere but doesn’t seem to fix the issue. I’ll need to look into this. Thanks

You think I should return it for another one? I just bought it last week and on the fence with returning it due to this issue. Your’s is definitely comparable though. I see that when you zoomed in on the photo, nothing is in focus, was there a specific reason why you’re pointing this out? Did I need to press the screen again to focus when zooming in? I thought the AFC takes care of that?

it may be Bryan that if your in manual mode you do have to touch the focus , but im not the Photo Expert. I think you need to get it up in the air and do a few more checks, it really bothers me that the picture was not in focus so that would be my main concern .. We purchase alot of these for our clients and if they our not near perfect out of the box on the horizon they go back, Most of these our spot first time up and if its not I feel that they may be other things that are not correct.

You dont have to fly it to test the camera , just take some clear focused pictures off of a level table for starters.
Make sure the gimbal is centered .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga