DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 at the top of Everest

Wow - wonder what it was like to fly in the thin air at that elevation. Incredible views.

Reactions: Techiedavid
Did the pilot go all the way to the top and launch or launch somewhere below the peak?

My understanding is the weather is not always great for climbing, let alone flying drones.

Hope the sherpa didn't have to lug too much drone gear up.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
funny how I don't see a shred of all that "climber's trash" that gets so much publicity. ( I guess all that is at base camp #1) hmm... These are just eye-watering views. My stomach clinched just watching.. lol. Love it! Great Job!

Did the pilot go all the way to the top and launch or launch somewhere below the peak?

My understanding is the weather is not always great for climbing, let alone flying drones.

Hope the sherpa didn't have to lug too much drone gear up.
At least one launch was from the summit of Everest... you can see the Tibetan flags there when the guy hand launches.

I imagine a lot of the other footage came from flights launched lower down.

I thought the same thing about the Sherpas... hope they were well compensated.

Man I never learned to hand launch.

So you have to control it with one hand while you hold the drone with the other, in that video.

And he's clinging to the side of a ridge it looks like, not like there was flat ground from which he could launch it.

I presume he was tethered to other climbers and the line was anchored somewhere.

Otherwise, I don't know about hand launching a drone with one hand and controlling the drone with the other hand.

Reactions: maggior
I believe it is 1600 feet above launch ht
You are correct concerning (1640ft) but thinking about a different ceiling.
DJI publish an above-sea-level height above which it is likely that the air is too thin for the drone to fly. For the M3 this is I think 6000m.

Last edited:
Man I never learned to hand launch.

So you have to control it with one hand while you hold the drone with the other, in that video.

And he's clinging to the side of a ridge it looks like, not like there was flat ground from which he could launch it.

I presume he was tethered to other climbers and the line was anchored somewhere.

Otherwise, I don't know about hand launching a drone with one hand and controlling the drone with the other hand.

Google "drone hand launch" and you'll find a bunch of videos explaining how it works. I hand launch/land all of the time now. It make things easier. The most important thing is to hand launch with your back to the wind so if a gust blows as you launch, the drone doesn't blow back toward you.

Personally I use a lanyard with my controller, so I let my controller dangle in front of me, I hold the drone up as high as I can and keep it level. I then push the sticks down and in to start the motors. Lastly I push up on the left stick until the drone is a few feet above my head.

In case you have not already seen this... pretty impressive.

A truly amazing video . I had the experience of trekking the Event base camp at age 60, April 2000. My son in law and I trekked for 16 days to a point overlooking base camp (Kalla Pattar) at 18,500.00 feet. Wish I had a drone at that time. Here are two photos from that trip. The 2nd image shows Everest in the middle, peaking out behind Lhotse. We are looking down on to base camp at the end of the Khumbu glacier.

Dale
Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 7.45.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-23 at 7.45.40 AM.png

Reactions: cneedelman
But the ceiling for the stock Mavic 3 is 6000m isn't it?
The performance of the props decreases with density altitude - just like all aerodynamic lift. So when they quote an operational ceiling like 6000 m that's just an altitude at which the performance (thrust/lift and flight time) has decreased to some arbitrary level - it doesn't mean that it can't fly above that or that somehow it will suddenly be unable to take off above 6000 m. There will be an altitude at which the thrust no longer exceeds the weight of the aircraft and it will not be able to take off, but that is obviously much higher than 6000 m.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c