DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro at Everest Base Camp

CaptinCrunch

Reactions
Hi everyone.
I know that the Mavic 3 has done Everest, and the National Geographic team did some extraordinary scenes & shots in recent times.
Was wondering that the opinion of folks here on using a Mini 3 Pro, given proper local-authorities permits and permissions:
  1. Would function at high altitude (5000 + feet)
  2. Would be able to handle thinner air / atmosphere than at sea level
  3. Thin air + high winds

Thanks in advance for the open discussion

Reactions: R.Cowan
Page 60 of the manual.

The performance of the aircraft and its battery is limited when flying at high altitudes. Fly with caution. The maximum service ceiling above sea level of the aircraft is 4,000 m (13,123 ft) when flying with the Intelligent Flight Battery. If the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus is used, the maximum service ceilingabove sea level drops to 3,000 m (9,843 ft). If a propeller guard is installed on the aircraft with the Intelligent Flight Battery, the maximum service ceiling above sea level becomes 1,500 m (4,921 ft).

Thanks @Yorkshire_Pud = very helpful :)
Good note on the battery at altitude, will prob try to limit a flight to < 5 minutes for safety.

However, if I am on ground and in an open space (camp site) for take off, will the Mini 3 know I am, for example, already at 1000 ft above sea level?
I was under the impression that the Mini 3 considers my take-off altitude at 0 ft.

Thanks @Yorkshire_Pud = very helpful :)
Good note on the battery at altitude, will prob try to limit a flight to < 5 minutes for safety.

However, if I am on ground and in an open space (camp site) for take off, will the Mini 3 know I am, for example, already at 1000 ft above sea level?
I was under the impression that the Mini 3 considers my take-off altitude at 0 ft.
You are correct that the displayed height is relative to the takeoff point.
But it estimates AMSL by measuring air pressure and air pressure decreases with height .... so it will have an idea of its AMSL before it takes off and I suspect it will warn you that it is at high altitude.
High altitude need not ground the drone but it will require the motors to turn faster to achieve the required thrust, thus the performance will be reduced and battery duration will be probably reduced etc. etc..

Last edited:
South base camp in Nepal or North base camp in Tibet?
Both are over 5000 meters (not feet),, the Nepali side 200 meters higher than the Tibetan side.
Many people have flown their mini 3 pro in both of them with little problem. Of course the battery will not last as long as in lower altitudes, and strong winds will make the drone fight the thin air harder.
Just be careful and use some common sense.

Hi everyone.
I know that the Mavic 3 has done Everest, and the National Geographic team did some extraordinary scenes & shots in recent times.
Was wondering that the opinion of folks here on using a Mini 3 Pro, given proper local-authorities permits and permissions:
  1. Would function at high altitude (5000 + feet)
  2. Would be able to handle thinner air / atmosphere than at sea level
  3. Thin air + high winds

Thanks in advance for the open discussion
Many years ago (2001) I trekked to a hill 1000 feet ABOVE Everest base camp (Kalla Pattar). It was 18,500 feet above sea level. The actual base camp is 17,500 feet above sea level. The air is so thin that I was only able to walk 5 steps before having to stop to catch my breath. The air is only 30% Oxygen of regular sea level air.

Dale
Miami

• Wow
Reactions: dart106
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member