DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Camera on Max Zoom suprised !

Lasidora

Reactions
Just trying out the Mavic 3 both optical & digital capabilities, from where I am not far from Stockport I pointed the M3 towards my old stomping ground in Liverpool, the drone was raised to 325ft high, ground location here is roughly 340ft ASL, so was surprised to be able to see the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral at nearly 36 miles away in a straight line, just checked the buildings orientation to me here via Litchi Mission Hub/ Google Maps & sure enough it is actually on the same looking angle as shown in the pic, took advantage of clear sunny weather today for some good views, also looking at the Trafford Ctr which is over 10 miles away from here.

DJI_0068.JPG

DJI_0058.JPG

At 200 feet away You can look inside peoples houses. The zoom is ridiculous. I would not be surprised to see some type of regulation or rule soon.

Actually, the glare from windows makes it next to impossible to see inside.
LOL sure. ;) Change your angle 200' seems about right. I was not really even trying, it was more of an observation

Attachments

• ScreenShot_2021-12-12_18.48.02.png
    ScreenShot_2021-12-12_18.48.02.png
    873.4 KB · Views: 105
  • ScreenShot_2021-12-12_18.47.24.png
    ScreenShot_2021-12-12_18.47.24.png
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 101
At 200 feet away You can look inside peoples houses. The zoom is ridiculous. I would not be surprised to see some type of regulation or rule soon.
I suspect, at least in the USA, that won't happen. People can already spy, at ground level and at highly elevated positions such as multi story condos, high rise apartments, sky scrapers etc, with telephoto cameras, binoculars, gun scopes, telescopes, etc. Just because the scope is on a drone, the government won't make a law specific to it. In fact the higher end drones allready have and have had for a long time, telephoto capabilities way in excess of the DJI's M3 Tele lens.

Looking inside homes is difficult period. With or without the aid of a telephoto device. And heck, I say, If your not one to put blinds up in your home and you decide to do something that could possibly be embarrassing to you or someone else, that's your fault. Buy blinds and use them, I say. I never leave my blinds open, unless it's a nice sunny day and want to let some light or air in. Knowing the blinds are open would definitely make me change my behavior and dress.

I read a news article in which a man purposely would leave his blinds open in the front of his house and walk naked in front of the window while neighbors would walk their dogs or children on the side walk near his house. He eventually got arrested. They can still get you for indecent exposure (which is a sex crime) even if you are in your own home.

I suspect, at least in the USA, that won't happen. People can already spy, at ground level and at highly elevated positions such as multi story condos, high rise apartments, sky scrapers etc, with telephoto cameras, binoculars, gun scopes, telescopes, etc. Just because the scope is on a drone, the government won't make a law specific to it. In fact the higher end drones allready have and have had for a long time, telephoto capabilities way in excess of the DJI's M3 Tele lens.

My Samsung S20 Ultra has a 100x "zoom" with stabilization in my two story house I can see very far. Cat is already out of bag on this stuff I doubt anything will come of it (hopefully). If people are concerned I advise they buy some curtains like normal people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coskier and cgmaxed
The horrible resolution on the 1/2 sensor is a good enough argument against people using this as an excuse to have more regulations.

Reactions: GFields and RoryG
My Samsung S20 Ultra has a 100x "zoom" with stabilization in my two story house I can see very far. Cat is already out of bag on this stuff I doubt anything will come of it (hopefully). If people are concerned I advise they buy some curtains like normal people.
Yes I hear you. I have BIG glass for my Sony ARii it is just not super convenient to fly it somewhere unless I drop a LOT money on the new Sony Drone

The horrible resolution on the 1/2 sensor is a good enough argument against people using this as an excuse to have more regulations.
I have to agree, it's next to useless. It would be nice if it was possible to select the second camera without "explore" mode, it's almost impossible to stop before it zooms into even more of a mushy mess. Complete waste of time having it if you ask me.

Reactions: DebianDog
I have to agree, it's next to useless. It would be nice if it was possible to select the second camera without "explore" mode, it's almost impossible to stop before it zooms into even more of a mushy mess. Complete waste of time having it if you ask me.
I am not going to defend the quality of the picture past 7x nor using it at all for a high end quality but I'm finding it very useful for scouting and some of the mastershots its does using it are interesting as well.

Most US states have existing privacy laws that would apply if you were flying a Mavic 3 or any drone with the intention of being able to observe private activity.

Theres already a regulation, it's called invasion of privacy, and illegal. Just don't do it.

Reactions: cgmaxed
I finally remembered to try using the telephoto camera and tried some "zoom" shots.

I think those that are more impressed with the digital zoom must be using low-resolution monitors/devices that are downscaling the photos to start with. It is very noticeable on a 4K monitor.

Regulation work wonders for things. Good thing Drugs and illegal guns are regulated!
But I'm pretty sure that you would find that those things were far more prevalent if they were not illegal. That's how laws are intended to work - they set the baseline and at least modify most people's behavior. The fact that laws are broken doesn't mean that they don't work.

Only a fool advocates for the government to impose itself on the people to restrict the few and punish the many. I don't feel like getting into the arguments of why drugs are illegal... they should legalize them all and tax them. As far as guns go I'm OK with the laws we have in place but we don't need anymore.

We don't need regulation on drones even if we get it.

Probal should of just not replied so will end it here on my end.

Only a fool advocates for the government to impose itself on the people to restrict the few and punish the many. I don't feel like getting into the arguments of why drugs are illegal... they should legalize them all and tax them. As far as guns go I'm OK with the laws we have in place but we don't need anymore.

We don't need regulation on drones even if we get it.

Probal should of just not replied so will end it here on my end.
That's fine, but are you therefore arguing that there should be no laws?

That's fine, but are you therefore arguing that there should be no laws?
I think laws make a society, the amount and type of them is really the topic here I guess . I am saying we don't need a bunch of laws around things restricting thing for the majority for the wrongs of a subset. Every topic is different, restricting telephoto lenses just on drones when its already illegal to invade someone's privacy seems to be what we are directly talking about here (I stated the other two examples of laws above but its off topic to this discussion).

So, no I don't think we don't need laws, but I think we need to be very careful what we allow our government to make them around.

I think laws make a society, the amount and type of them is really the topic here I guess . I am saying we don't need a bunch of laws around things restricting thing for the majority for the wrongs of a subset. Every topic is different, restricting telephoto lenses just on drones when its already illegal to invade someone's privacy seems to be what we are directly talking about here (I stated the other two examples of laws above but its off topic to this discussion).

So, no I don't think we don't need laws, but I think we need to be very careful what we allow our government to make them around.
Different issue. Duplication of laws is certainly unnecessary.

Reactions: VenomXts
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.