DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Classic ignores RC's physical flight speed mode switch setting on startup

Mandalorian1

Reactions
I have noted that upon startup of the RC and UAS that it ignores the physical switch setting of the flight speed mode and defaults it to N (Normal) mode (shows it in N mode on the RC's display) forcing the pilot to physically toggle the switch in and out of the current C (Cinema) or S (Sport) mode setting to N (Normal) mode and back to original C or S mode setting to get it to properly switch. I have reported it to DJI and they will submit to the engineering team. That's a "bug" in my opinion. They acknowledged that it seems to be some kind of auto-default to N (Normal) mode. I disagree that the RC should ignore its own physical Mode switch setting in favor of a "soft" N mode default when starting up and connecting with UAS (Mavic 3 Classic).

Reactions: R.Cowan
I have noted that upon startup of the RC and UAS that it ignores the physical switch setting of the flight speed mode and defaults it to N (Normal) mode (shows it in N mode on the RC's display) forcing the pilot to physically toggle the switch in and out of the current C (Cinema) or S (Sport) mode setting to N (Normal) mode and back to original C or S mode setting to get it to properly switch. I have reported it to DJI and they will submit to the engineering team. That's a "bug" in my opinion. They acknowledged that it seems to be some kind of auto-default to N (Normal) mode. I disagree that the RC should ignore its own physical Mode switch setting in favor of a "soft" N mode default when starting up and connecting with UAS (Mavic 3 Classic).
It's a safety feature common to all DJI drones. It's not a bug, and is unlikely to be changed. Just toggle the switch back to N and set it to whatever you want after boot up.

I have reported it to DJI and they will submit to the engineering team. That's a "bug" in my opinion. They acknowledged that it seems to be some kind of auto-default to N (Normal) mode. I disagree that the RC should ignore its own physical Mode switch setting in favor of a "soft" N mode default when starting up and connecting with UAS (Mavic 3 Classic).
All DJI drone models released in the last few years do this.
Many (most) of DJI's people cannot be relied on for accurate information.
Just realise that the drone will launch in Normal Mode and you can change flight modes after launching.

Thanks everyone. Up until now, I wasn't aware of this being an overriding default setting per DJI drones.

My final thought... If this is a safety feature, it seems counterintuitive to force a default of N mode (faster speed than C mode) when the switch is positioned to C mode (slower speed than N mode). I'm wondering how that can be construed to be a safety feature. If the switch were in S mode position I can understand the logic, but not if it is in the C mode position to begin with.

Going forward, I guess the best practice in this case is to always reset the switch to N mode prior to powering on/off. That will be a subtle reminder to self to reposition the C/N/S mode switch to the desired setting (if other than N mode) as it will be forced upon me to do so regardless.

Reactions: claytonc214
Thanks everyone. Up until now, I wasn't aware of this being an overriding default setting per DJI drones.

My final thought... If this is a safety feature, it seems counterintuitive to force a default of N mode (faster speed than C mode) when the switch is positioned to C mode (slower speed than N mode). I'm wondering how that can be construed to be a safety feature. If the switch were in S mode position I can understand the logic, but not if it is in the C mode position to begin with.

Going forward, I guess the best practice in this case is to always reset the switch to N mode prior to powering on/off. That will be a subtle reminder to self to reposition the C/N/S mode switch to the desired setting (if other than N mode) as it will be forced upon me to do so regardless.
There is or was a warning message in the Go4 app (with the M2Z) at takeoff that lets you know the switch is out of the normal position. I haven't seen that message in the Fly app. They should add the message.

There is or was a warning message in the Go4 app (with the M2Z) at takeoff that lets you know the switch is out of the normal position. I haven't seen that message in the Fly app. They should add the message.
I like your suggestion. That would be a helpful reminder to advise the user of the built-in DJI mode setting override.

I can confirm that my M3 with standard remote has always performed this way. I didn't notice initially, but now that I know, I make sure to set it. No big deal.

All DJI drone models released in the last few years do this.
Many (most) of DJI's people cannot be relied on for accurate information.
Just realise that the drone will launch in Normal Mode and you can change flight modes after launching.
I couldn't agree more that we can't rely on the Customer Support info cited on the phone. I can't believe the people who man these lines actually fly the products. When I called about the charging issue with the charging hub (hours to charge one battery), I got absolutely nowhere and the promised return call from an escalated level never happened. I also called to verify my Care More package was in force and a clarification as to what binding the RC to the M3 Classic meant. Absoultely clueless with no proficiency in English. Very disappointing Customer Support!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree more that we can't rely on the Customer Support info cited on the phone. I can't believe the people who man these lines actually fly the products. When I called about the charging issue with the charging hub (hours to charge one battery), I got absolutely nowhere and the promised return call from an escalated level never happened. I also called to verify my Care More package was in force and a clarification as to what binding the RC to the M3 Classic meant. Absoultely clueless with no proficiency in English. Very disappointing Customer Support!!!!!!!!!
The DJi support personnel do not fly the drones, and have little or no knowledge of how they operate, nor what is normal and what is not. Their only available solution is to have you send it in for evaluation, which they are very good at recommending! Usually, that is completely unnecessary and won't solve the problem, which is either due to user error or a known bug that they have no knowledge of, which can only be fixed by a future FW update. Par for the course, with most customer support personnel everywhere! That's why this forum exists: crowd sourced technical support by owners!

To Clarify, DJI Fly defaults to N mode (regardless of switch position) when first powered up only.
It is possible to switch positions after power up (and before take off) and then yes you can start the props and take off in all 3 modes.
It's also possible to land in S or C mode and take off again in the same mode. So those of you thinking taking off in other modes than N isn't allowed, it is and is perfectly safe, as long as you are aware of the mode you have selected.

To Clarify, DJI Fly defaults to N mode (regardless of switch position) when first powered up only.
It is possible to switch positions after power up (and before take off) and then yes you can start the props and take off in all 3 modes.
It's also possible to land in S or C mode and take off again in the same mode. So those of you thinking taking off in other modes than N isn't allowed, it is and is perfectly safe, as long as you are aware of the mode you have selected.
It's a safety feature to make sure you don't inadvertently take off in Sport mode without OA. Just flip it out of Sport mode to N mode and back into Sport mode, as you describe.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb