DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 color shifting in white balance / color tint

By way of an update - and for the information of anyone with a Mavic 3 Classic drone - DJI has now confirmed by email to me that "The issue with your Mavic 3 Classic is not related to hardware, but to firmware. Sadly, the fix could not be implemented in the recent update, but we will follow up in the future."

That 'recent update' was firmware V01.00.0400.

Unbelievable really.

They told me to rollback firmware, then await new firmware, then refresh the new firmware - and now they're telling me to await some future fix, with no timescale given?

They have confirmed that my drone has a defect - one that is firmware related, not hardware related - but they maintain their position of no refund? This makes no sense and is a clear breach of consumer law.

They have offered to check my drone - by doing a comparison - but what is the point since they appear to be acknowledging that all Mavic 3 Classic drones have this issue? And why, given the presumably vast numbers that have been sold to date, are there only a few people like me complaining - if the issue is firmware-related?

I am going to have to take some time here to consider my options and next steps.
They told me that one year ago (lol). They are not gonna fix it...

I have the same magenta tint issue with my Mavic 3 (OG version). It does not appear in all photos but I do see the issue quite frequently. Have not figured out how to totally edit it out yet without impacting the rest of the photo.

I have an additional related issue where there is sometimes a slightly dark, magenta-casted vertical strip on the right edge of the photo. The obvious solution here is to crop it out, but I'd like to keep as many pixels as I can.

1st image shows both the magenta cast (top left) and the weird banding issue (right edge).
2nd image shows only the magenta cast (again in the top left).
3rd image shows only the weird banding issue (again on the right edge).
No filters were used to take any of these photos.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 14.23.33.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-19 at 16.04.11.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 14.52.55.png

I have the same magenta tint issue with my Mavic 3 (OG version). It does not appear in all photos but I do see the issue quite frequently. Have not figured out how to totally edit it out yet without impacting the rest of the photo.

I have an additional related issue where there is sometimes a slightly dark, magenta-casted vertical strip on the right edge of the photo. The obvious solution here is to crop it out, but I'd like to keep as many pixels as I can.

1st image shows both the magenta cast (top left) and the weird banding issue (right edge).
2nd image shows only the magenta cast (again in the top left).
3rd image shows only the weird banding issue (again on the right edge).
No filters were used to take any of these photos.

View attachment 164367
View attachment 164368
View attachment 164369
My issues with green-magenta casts are global not localized like yours so we are seeing different issues.

In your examples it’s hard to rule out the possibility that the light is just interacting differently with the atmosphere on that side of the frame opposite the sun or some other environmental issue. Color casts do happen.

Do you use Lightroom to edit? Honestly what I would what I would do in the first two examples is just push up the luminance and push the down saturation of magenta in the HSL panel.

You're not alone with this problem, my M3 Cine shows exactly the same green & magenta color casts. I'm mostly shooting winter sports (professionally, if that matters to get credibility?) and have a hard time getting rid of those colors on an (originally) white background.
I'm using a selection of adapted color profiles in Lightroom that emphasize blue and reduce green & magenta, but that's just a workaround for a problem we should not have to deal with.
Hi, just read your message. I am back from Greenland and noticed a similar issue on some shots with clouds, haze/fog and a lot of light! Could it be some kind of flare? It seems like it's the kind of thing you have when shooting against the sun but in this kind of weather it's more like the sun is everywhere - if you know what I mean - thus causing similar effects even when not shooting in the sun direction. Also, less visible in individual images but gets pronounced when assembling a panorama (see attached example where it totally ruins the image). Kinda frustrating as those are exactly the kind of lighting conditions that make the images interesting.
EDIT: actually also in more "normal" lighting conditions but with ice and snow on most of the picture. I would be interested to know about your workarounds if that's something you are willing to share.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 03.32.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 03.32.12.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi, just read your message. I am back from Greenland and noticed a similar issue on some shots with clouds, haze/fog and a lot of light! Could it be some kind of flare? It seems like it's the kind of thing you have when shooting against the sun but in this kind of weather it's more like the sun is everywhere - if you know what I mean - thus causing similar effects even when not shooting in the sun direction. Also, less visible in individual images but gets pronounced when assembling a panorama (see attached example where it totally ruins the image). Kinda frustrating as those are exactly the kind of lighting conditions that make the images interesting.
EDIT: actually also in more "normal" lighting conditions but with ice and snow on most of the picture. I would be interested to know about your workarounds if that's something you are willing to share.
In pictures where it is not immediately obvious, you clearly see the problem if you use the dehaze function in lightroom for example. In addition, it shows some additional banding. Horrible!

In fact even shots that look more or less normal reveal that kind of problem if you push dehaze: banding and color shifts. I believe the problem is always here but depending on the light conditions it may be more or less visible. I thought the images never looked completely "clean" compared to a real camera and now I understand why. The green/magenta thing is almost absent when you have a flat light and no sun but the banding is always here and makes for a non-uniform image even if it's not obvious at first glance. These DJI drones are the flying version of Lomography. A really bad joke when you have worked so much and invested so much time, money and energy.

Last edited:
Honestly that looks like a sensor issue I would send that one in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S