DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 coordinated turns (fixed wing mode)

Hilux

Reactions
Hello all, just picked up a Mavic 3 to join my DJI FPV, Mini 2, and Anafi.

Everything else has been great with it, but I am extremely annoyed with the automatic coordinated turns - automatically added roll when yawing during forward motion. It makes it handle very poorly, and limits the ability to properly control flight.

Has there been any progress figuring out how to disable this, either through DJI software, or Dronehacks?

I've also noticed the Mini 2 attempts to replicate this too when using FPV mode, but it only tilts the gimbal during forward yaw, and doesn't actually roll the aircraft with it.

Reactions: bmcelya
Hello Hilux, look in the control menu (I'm using a DJI RC Pro) under "Gimbal." You can set the gimbal mode to either "Follow Mode" or "FPV Mode." It sounds as if you are in the latter. Try switching to "Follow mode." On the DJI RC Pro, you can get to this menu by pressing the "..." menu on the main screen (appears when drone is connected). Then, you'll find the control menu as the second menu in. Happy Flying!

Hello Hilux, look in the control menu (I'm using a DJI RC Pro) under "Gimbal." You can set the gimbal mode to either "Follow Mode" or "FPV Mode." It sounds as if you are in the latter. Try switching to "Follow mode." On the DJI RC Pro, you can get to this menu by pressing the "..." menu on the main screen (appears when drone is connected). Then, you'll find the control menu as the second menu in. Happy Flying!

Unfortunately no, it does this in either FPV or follow mode, it is just easier to notice in FPV.

Try watching yours by line of sight while moving forward and turning. The way it yaws then suddenly dips sideways looks very strange.

It does appear that there is some roll when commanding a yaw in the drone itself. However, the gimbal seems to compensate so that the camera remains "level." Looking at movies made during turns, the view through the camera does not roll.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm seeing. Now how can we disable that? On the FPV drone, there is a setting for automatic coordinated turns which can be changed from strong, slight, and off. And I believe there was for one of the Air2 models as well.

You may also notice during this automated turn, that the aircraft speed drops a bit as well - almost like it was braking the inside propeller.

Not exactly, I want the drone to not automatically roll when I yaw - I'll do that myself as required. No other drone has this flight behavior as a fixed thing.

Not exactly, I want the drone to not automatically roll when I yaw - I'll do that myself as required. No other drone has this flight behavior as a fixed thing.

The M3 has a built in "Coordinated Turn" feature that can not be turned off with the current FW. As you know and for the benefit of others, it has nothing to do with the gimbal function FPV or Follow. It is a nuisance that many of us hope will be corrected in future updates.

In brief for those that do not know what a coordinated turn is here is a short summary.

A coordinated turn is a turn in which the bank angle of the aircraft compliments its rate of turn. An uncoordinated turn could either slip or skid the aircraft. Manned aircraft use this to make precise turns.

Reactions: MS Coast and E.151
No big deal unless you already know how to do a turn like that yourself, and the automatic system is making it behave strangely.

Good to know it is a known issue, certainly hope it gets resolved soon.

It is an issue, because it limits the potential for more complex movement.

I'm not saying to take it away from those who use it, just to set an on/off toggle for those don't.

It is an issue, because it limits the potential for more complex movement.

I'm not saying to take it away from those who use it, just to set an on/off toggle for those don't.
1,000%!!!

Reactions: BaldyBoyBilly
I just recently got a M3 too and noticed the coordinated turns as well. They don’t bother me as much as the abrupt breaking behaviour even when gently releasing the sticks. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix these issues, otherwise my M3 has been great.

Chris

I just recently got a M3 too and noticed the coordinated turns as well. They don’t bother me as much as the abrupt breaking behaviour even when gently releasing the sticks. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix these issues, otherwise my M3 has been great.

Chris
I did notice that braking too. But I'm use to the FPV drone that brakes incredibly fast. Again, would be nice if adjustable. One thing I really loved about the Anafi was how customizable everything was.

If DJI could make the M3 have coordinated turns optional, and make the fpv mode actually fix the gimbal in place for everything but pitch, it would be a perfect drone.

Has anyone noticed if this issue has been corrected with the recent firmware update?
I have found that applying roll during forward flight now behaves as expected (i.e. without yaw being automatically applied at the same time), but yaw still automatically applies roll during forward flight. I wonder if this is to make turning easier for less experienced pilots, but, as has been stated, it would be nice to have a setting to turn that off for us flight purists out there.

Reactions: Hilux
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002