DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 drifted by itself for 60 meters

jonatious

Reactions
Not sure what happened, there was no wind. I just flew straight up and was looking at the app for something and suddenly saw my drone move much farther away and I quickly pulled it back and everything was fine. I have recorded the preview of the flight path along with the controller movement, there was no controller movement during the drift.

Airdata flight logs link:
Has anyone else seen this? The below video is at 4x the speed

Last edited:
Reactions: Redvers
Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I chalked it up to not grabbing my home point as early as it normally does. After about 30 secs of wrangling, it started acting normal again.

Not sure what happened, there was no wind. I just flew straight up and was looking at the app for something and suddenly saw my drone move much farther away and I quickly pulled it back and everything was fine. I have recorded the preview of the flight path along with the controller movement, there was no controller movement during the drift.
Your flight data shows that the drone was in Detour Mode.
What you thought was drifting was it trying to avoid something that it identified as an obstacle, but having difficulty because of the poor lighting.

Your flight data shows that the drone was in Detour Mode.
What you thought was drifting was it trying to avoid something that it identified as an obstacle, but having difficulty because of the poor lighting.
Detour mode? I was straight 80m above the top of a building and there was nothing around the drone and was 4:10PM. Not sure what really caused the drone to think it was trying to avoid something

Detour mode? I was straight 80m above the top of a building and there was nothing around the drone and was 4:10PM. Not sure what really caused the drone to think it was trying to avoid something
That's what your flight data shows was happening.
Was the drone pointing toward a low, bright sun, perhaps?

That's what your flight data shows was happening.
Was the drone pointing toward a low, bright sun, perhaps?
That’s sounding scary. What if lighting caused it to fly into obstacles nearby and crash :/

Also can you tell me where you saw that it went into detour mode?

On the notifications tab of airdata at the 27sec mark.
And column 46, AT, flycstate in the csv from airdata from 27.7sec to 122.9sec.

On the notifications tab of airdata at the 27sec mark.
And column 46, AT, flycstate in the csv from airdata from 27.7sec to 122.9sec.
Navigating Airdata for the first time. Interesting to see that the home point was updated at that second and also says obstacle sensing not available a second later. Why would it try to avoid something when the obstacle sensing is not working?

Navigating Airdata for the first time. Interesting to see that the home point was updated at that second and also says obstacle sensing not available a second later. Why would it try to avoid something when the obstacle sensing is not working?
The obstacle avoidance was intermittent rather than permanently off.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Any chance there was a bird that it sensed? There was another post a couple of days ago about a flight deviation, but in that case it was a small flock of birds.

Any chance there was a bird that it sensed? There was another post a couple of days ago about a flight deviation, but in that case it was a small flock of birds.
I didnt see anything, definitely not a flock. Not sure why it moved 200ft to avoid a bird even if it is true unless it was attacked by it lol. I dont think that happened

Beside, if it was avoiding something you would have had an avoidance indication from the app. Any chance it temporarily entered ATTI mode?

Beside, if it was avoiding something you would have had an avoidance indication from the app. Any chance it temporarily entered ATTI mode?
When I was not looking at the drone, I was looking at the app. Definitely did not see ATTI or any obstacle related msg on the app

Is "Manual" in the "Flight Mode" column significant? The following are random snippets from the Phantomhelp page.

Attachments

• manual 1.png
    manual 1.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 11
angle of the sun can cause sensors to do strange things. A bead of water and the sun in a low position is a possible cause of an engine fire warning in some aircraft that I have flown. It's just something mentioned in the factory ground schools..they don't offer a suggestion what to do with your drawers. :oops:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400