DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 has no explore mode or full zoom?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerpalmz

Reactions
Evening everyone. I have just purchased a Mavic 3 and I am in love except one thing is really bugging me. There is no explore mode, which means I have no zoom other than the standard 1x, 2x and 3x which is okay. However, I expected to have 4x, 7x and all the way upto 28x or whatever it states it has with it.

I have updated the firmware on controller and drone yet I simply just don’t have the option for it. No telescope button to change zoom or explore mode. I’m very confused. Awaiting a response from DJI but just wondered if any of you pilots could give me any advice on how to resolve this. Thanks.

A screenshot of what your seeing or not seeing in the modes might be helpful.

More info please but::
1. tap the telescope (binoculars) icon ( next to the photo/video button
2. chose the desired zoom
OR
1.same as above
2. hold down on the icon and swipe on the screen to interactively zoom.
If you don't have the little icon I would update to the newest firmware and if that doesn't do it I would contact DJI seems like a simple firmware issue but im not there to know for sure.

Last edited:
I have updated the firmware on controller and drone yet I simply just don’t have the option for it.
Explore Mode is what you are looking for, but perhaps you aren't looking in the right place.
You'll see an icon above the round shutter button on the right side of the screen.
Tap that icon and you'll open a menu that gives several options including Explore Mode.

i-7bJPrL8-M.jpg

Note that the drone doesn't have any zoom lenses.
It has three fixed focal length lenses.
Other than what DJI call 1X, 3X and 7X, Explore Mode only gives you (software) digital zoom.
That's not the same thing as optical zoom.

Mmm i was confused by his second post. I thought he was saying he had bought the classic by mistake.

Last edited:
I think thats the classic though…..
@farmerpalmz, would you mind confirming?
The original Mavic 3 had 2 cameras, a 4/3 sensor wideangle and a long tele.
The Mavic 3 Classic just has the 4/3 sensor wideangle.
The Mavic 3 pro has 3 cameras, a 4/3 sensor wideangle and a long tele and a short tele.
He indicated that his drone has 3 cameras, he has the Mavic 3 pro.

he doesnt say anything about cameras.
He says he has up to 3x zoom as per mavic classic. He also has a post saying he thought that classic was the standard and a face slap emoji. Im taking this to mean that he realised his mistake and bought the wrong drone

Reactions: Torque
he doesnt say anything about cameras.
My mistake .. I read all the numbers incorrectly.
His post is rather confused and unclear, particularly since there's no such beast..
He hasn't been back in >24 hours, so hasn't seem any of the help replies.
I wonder if we'll find out more?

Reactions: AnzacJack
My mistake .. I read all the numbers incorrectly.
His post is rather confused and unclear, particularly since there's no such beast..
He hasn't been back in >24 hours, so hasn't seem any of the help replies.
I wonder if we'll find out more?
Im guessing not

Uh, my M3 Classic also has x1/x2/x3 zoom.
No, your drone has one camera with a fixed focal length.
It has no zoom, except for what DJI marketing calls "digital zoom", which simply is a cropping of the image. When using 2x digital zoom, you only use a small part of the sensor, and a tiny bit of the sensor when using 3x digital zoom. This means of course degraded image quality, and a waste of sensor area. This cropping could be done in post processing with a far better result anyway.
DJI has made only one consumer drone with a zoom camera, the Mavic 2 Zoom.

It is sad to see that the misuse of the word zoom causes so much confusion among people.

It has no zoom, except for what DJI marketing calls "digital zoom", which simply is a cropping of the image. When using 2x digital zoom, you only use a small part of the sensor, and a tiny bit of the sensor when using 3x digital zoom. This means of course degraded image quality, and a waste of sensor area. This cropping could be done in post processing with a far better result anyway.

It is sad to see that the misuse of the word zoom causes so much confusion among people.
I completly understand all that, but you're waaaayyy over thinking here. My response was to this- He said:it has "the standard 1x, 2x and 3x which is okay".

Reactions: Torque
+d

doesn't the mini pro 3 have a zoom?

+d

doesn't the mini pro 3 have a zoom?
No, it has a camera with a fixed 24mm lens (24mm equivalent to 35mm format).
But it also has that silly misnomer "digital zoom" which, as explained above, means that it uses a small part of the already quite small sensor. Also called cropping.

There's no confusion. And There's no "misuse" of the term.

The vast majority of the world simply isn't as concerned with the distinction as you and a few others are.

Words are defined in how they're used by the vast majority of speakers. Many are ambiguous. So what? We clear up the ambiguity when necessary, and when no one cares, it's annoyingly pedantic to insist on it.

"Zoom" to most of the world means, "make a part of this image bigger and fill the screen". Until it visually degrades the enlarged image for the person viewing it, no one but people who use images professionally cares how it was enlarged.

Should also point out that an optically zoomed image is also cropped, the same as the digitally zoomed image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N