DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 jerks when coming off the throttle

pnwbikerboi

Reactions
Hey all,
Quick question, just upgraded to the Mavic 3 and was flying in Normal mode today, i noticed every time i would smoothly come off the forward throttle, it would sharply raise the nose up as it came to a stop, My 2 or my air 2 does not do that, is this common?

Hey all,
Quick question, just upgraded to the Mavic 3 and was flying in Normal mode today, i noticed every time i would smoothly come off the forward throttle, it would sharply raise the nose up as it came to a stop, My 2 or my air 2 does not do that, is this common?
The M3 brakes more severely than any previous DJI drone.
It's been complained about since release, but DJI have no interest in fixing this.

My MA2 does this if I come off the throttle too fast. My take on both of my drones is to get up to speed slowly without peeling my tires and to slow down slowly instead of slamming on the brakes, lol.

My MA2 does this if I come off the throttle too fast. My take on both of my drones is to get up to speed slowly without peeling my tires and to slow down slowly instead of slamming on the brakes, lol.
The Mavic 3 savagely slams on the brakes, no matter how fast (or slow) it is flying and no matter how much you try to slow down gradually.

Reactions: Rchawks
What remote are you using? The sticks on rc-n1 is worse. Found it much better drone to fly with r ccontroller

What remote are you using? The sticks on rc-n1 is worse. Found it much better drone to fly with r ccontroller
The issue is in the braking parameter set in DJI's firmware for the Mavic 3, not how the owner controls it.

This is a known issue. It helps if you set the sensors to "bypass", but for those of use who fly w/ sensors off (I fly too close to things to use sensors), there is no current fix.

It was much better until the firmware update before this last one. I'm hoping the fix it again with the next one. It's not a difficult thing to do. Once again DJI engineers prove they don't always understand how we fly. They deal in theory, not reality. Not uncommon if many areas of manufacturing.

This is known flight behavior of the Mavic 3. But, does it affect your footage? I'm asking this because I have been flying the Mavic 3 since spring and I have never noticed any adverse effect on the footage. Yes, the drone does brake harder than previous ones and people have reported this, but I still have not seen any evidence that this affects the footage.

The issue is in the braking parameter set in DJI's firmware for the Mavic 3, not how the owner controls it.
Hello Meta 4.!…Regarding your comment…I have an M3 and indeed the Drone brakes abruptly when it stops in which one of the horizontal directions I wanted…I must admit that I have not tried to modify the parameters of the gains of the Sticks in the App …I think maybe other owners of the M3 have already tried this, but I haven't read any threads in this forum about this, nor what results have been achieved with these changes, if there really is, do you have any information about it .?. Greetings 🖖🏿 .!

Reactions: SFC117
I must admit that I have not tried to modify the parameters of the gains of the Sticks in the App …I think maybe other owners of the M3 have already tried this, but I haven't read any threads in this forum about this, nor what results have been achieved with these changes, if there really is, do you have any information about it .?.
You can modify the exp (sensitivity) of the joystick response, but there's nothing you can do about the savage braking.

Hey all,
I am an owner of M3 and I don't notice this at all

Does this shock the gimble in any way with this type of braking?
No ... the gimbal is built to deal with movement of the drone.
The braking just involves the drone tilting back 20-30° to bring it to a sudden stop.

You can modify the exp (sensitivity) of the joystick response, but there's nothing you can do about the savage braking.
Meta4… Thank you very much for your answer. From what you say…there is not much to be gained by modifying the sensitivity of the Stick…to reduce the sudden braking that the M3 has, I have always been gentle with the movements of my Drones…so I have always manipulated the Sticks gently. Hopefully DJI improves this "attitude" that the M3 has with its braking... Greetings!

Well the braking, in my experience, in the terrible stock RC-N1 built for another drone, (Mavic2Air) is quite different to the RC controller and the RC pro controller. So i accept your premise it's built into the firmware but perhaps that firmware was taking into account for the new controllers built for the Mini3 and Mavic3? I find it a totally different drone and much better and much smoother using a different controller. To quote another source, "exp setting will not correct the hard stops. DJI fly app is a missing sensitivity setting for braking." (unlike the DJI Go4 app)...Has braking sensitivity been updated in the DJI app?

Well the braking, in my experience, in the terrible stock RC-N1 built for another drone, (Mavic2Air) is quite different to the RC controller and the RC pro controller. So i accept your premise it's built into the firmware but perhaps that firmware was taking into account for the new controllers built for the Mini3 and Mavic3? I find it a totally different drone and much better and much smoother using a different controller. To quote another source, "exp setting will not correct the hard stops. DJI fly app is a missing sensitivity setting for braking." (unlike the DJI Go4 app)...Has braking sensitivity been updated in the DJI app?
I have the RC-N1 controller and have turned down the stick sensitivity considerably to get smoother, flight characteristics.
But with the drone flying at 5-7 mph with gentle stick control, the drone kicks back at 28° if I centre the sticks.
That's using the same tilt angle you would use to accelerate to max speed, to snap to a hard stop when the drone is doing just 5-7 mph.
You'd never pass a driving test if you drove a car like that.

• Haha
Reactions: SFC117
Jason M…I understand you have had the experience of using the RC Pro or RC Controller on the M3 and the braking is much smoother…I am intending to get the RC Pro for my M3…not for this braking reason of the Drone, if not for the fact that it has many more features than the RC-N1, so for what you say about the smoother braking of the M3, it is a plus. Thanks for the info. Good luck.!🍀

I have the RC-N1 controller and have turned down the stick sensitivity considerably to get smoother, flight characteristics.
But with the drone flying at 5-7 mph with gentle stick control, the drone kicks back at 28° if I centre the sticks.
That's using the same tilt angle you would use to accelerate to max speed, to snap to a hard stop when the drone is doing just 5-7 mph.
You'd never pass a driving test if you drove a car like that.
Yes, it's quite nerve-racking. It feels like it was going to flip up over and I was hesitant to fly it in the wind. I purchased the new RC controller that was released recently and the Mavic 3 flys so much better now. I own several DJI drones and found the M3 terrible to fly....I was really disappointed...I tried a lot of different settings on the sticks and it helped a bit but not massive. My experience is that the flying experience with the RC-N1 is terrible. However after buying the RC and even the RC Pro, it makes the Mavic 3 a totally different drone. I purchased a RC Pro also, after a friend crashed there M3 and both the RC and RC Pro has made the M3 one of my favorites again. The additional programable function buttons are a massive plus too.

I have the RC Pro and although I find the sticks much smoother for flight on my M3 compared to the RC-N1 controller, I haven't noticed any difference in the abrupt breaking behaviour between the two controllers. I often fly in Cine mode unless I need to get someplace quick, so that breaking is less abrupt. As others have mentioned, it doesn't seem to matter how gently you let off on the sticks, the M3 still jerks to a stop. Would love it if DJI would fix this in a future firmware release.

Chris

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura