Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Light Pollution Filter Review

adcimagery

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.adcimagery.com
Hey, I tested out Haida's clear night filter for the Mavic 3 over the last couple of days. Bit of a weird product, considering you don't typically associate astrophotography with a drone. Seemed like it mostly colorshifted sodium vapor lights to be a bit more pleasant of a color SOOC, but not a huge difference overall. Comparison images in my review: Fstoppers Reviews the Clear Night Filter: Enabling Astrophotography With a Drone?

Has anyone else tried this filter out?

None of the examples in that article are astro.
"I didn’t notice a significant difference in the sky, however. I’m not sure if the camera wasn’t sensitive enough to the change, the exposure wasn’t configured to fully reveal any differences, or if the location I was in just didn’t create as much atmospheric light pollution. I did some additional testing with sky-centric photos, but couldn't find a meaningful difference in the images. Throughout testing, the major difference in shots with and without the filter was confined to the area directly around sodium vapor lights; the drone's camera may just not be sensitive enough to pick up light pollution."

Haven’t tried Haida’s, but I do have the Freewell light pollution filter. I got pretty much the same result. After trying it out, it seems a little gimmicky, and I kind of regret buying it.

Haven’t tried Haida’s, but I do have the Freewell light pollution filter. I got pretty much the same result. After trying it out, it seems a little gimmicky, and I kind of regret buying it.
Yup. If I were the brand, I'd reposition it as a "natural night" filter for adjusting the color of artificial lights, instead of marketing it with photos of the Milky Way.

Reactions: Wade L.
Yup. If I were the brand, I'd reposition it as a "natural night" filter for adjusting the color of artificial lights, instead of marketing it with photos of the Milky Way.
I can't see any difference in the examples, other than those with the filter are a half stop darker, which saturates the colors slightly more. Using a half stop of negative exposure compensation would create the same result!

Reactions: Wade L.
I don't see any difference that can't be better (& obviously for free) done in post production. I don't see the point of the filter.

I had one for my Air 2S, and saw no difference. But, I live in a small town without air pollution. Maybe it would help in bigger cities.

Hey, I tested out Haida's clear night filter for the Mavic 3 over the last couple of days. Bit of a weird product, considering you don't typically associate astrophotography with a drone. Seemed like it mostly colorshifted sodium vapor lights to be a bit more pleasant of a color SOOC, but not a huge difference overall. Comparison images in my review: Fstoppers Reviews the Clear Night Filter: Enabling Astrophotography With a Drone?

Has anyone else tried this filter out?
I’m very familiar with astrophotography and I find it bizarre a light pollution filter for a drone even exists.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair