DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 my honest conclusion

I see the only advantage of a telephoto (explore) camera in its use for inspection work. For the purpose of visual assessment of the condition of technical installations, this is sufficient. Otherwise nonsense.

My 2 cents is that explore camera is pointless, and this was not my post, it’s a reply. Instead of writing a rant why not tell us your opinion of why DJI would configure this drone in this way instead of just give us optical zoom on the main camera?

I was asked to explain my thoughts regarding marketing and I did. I have no use for low grade product, which is what that wee camera puts out, and it’s useless for exploring in most situations. Like I said, it’s useful to find something interesting a long ways away. However when you fly to it to shoot it with the main camera you can’t get low enough to get the subject properly because you loose signal. Typically from trees are a hill. It’s a major flaw, DJI does not do major flaws. They knew that explore camera was useless well before the drove ever hit the market. It’s like putting snow tires on a race car so you don’t get stuck in the snow.

Hey, by all means if some pilots like the product from that camera have at it. I’ve yet to see anything impressive come out of it, but I’m a bit more picky then most people.
See Post #37 above, which you conveniently ignored...

I use the 7X camera in various ways and wouldn't like my Mavic 3 as much if it wasn't there. Its incredibly valuable as an inspection tool, allowing me to stay away from trouble when looking closely at buildings and structures.

I often film anglers in my local river, I let them know that I am there and ask permission however they are still much more disturbed if I bring the M3 near and use the main camera. With the 7x lens I can stay further away. The quality is good enough from 7x to 14x to be usable in the work I am doing. For the Tele camera to be completely useful I would need DJI to add full manual control and LOG but its close.

The Micro 4/3 footage is superior but when making edited videos, distant establishing shots from the 7X camera look fine as they are usually just a few seconds in length. I use them to show where someone is in an outdoor setting then switch to higher quality footage as I move in closer.... it blends perfectly.

I guarantee the Mavic 4 with have the exact same 4/3 sensor as the M3, and it will have optical zoom. And some of us will happily run out to buy it not realizing DJI just scammed us.
You guarantee it? What do I get in this guarantee if and when you are wrong. Of course the Mavic 4 will have new and better technology. That's why it will be called the Mavic 4, because it will be newer and better than the Mavic 3. You have bought other technology devices, correct? Welcome to every product in the world...

There isn't really anything to talk about - the lens on the M3 is completely fine, unless your specific unit is defective (which is a possibility). As I mentioned earlier, things like decentered elements are a legitimate issue (for lenses of all types, not just the M3) and if you have that, it needs to be addressed via warranty. I've downloaded RAW files from the M3 myself and processed them, and they look completely fine. Image quality is directly in line with what one would expect from a 4/3 sensor and a decent lens on any other system, drone or otherwise. Every professional review I have seen on the drone does not mention anything about poor lens quality.

Hi, could you do me a favor and point to where you found those completely fine raw files? Every single one I have found in searching for over 6 months and now including the two Mavic 3 Cine drones I have had delivered recently all have loss of sharpness on the left side in a big way as compared to my Mavic 2 Pro.

The first one had just terrible loss of resolving ability on the left side and mostly towards the top left and the one I have now has this odd zone of softness in the left third with it getting a bit sharper into the very corners. But overall, my Mavic 2 Pro is a lot better and my EVO II Pro absolutely blows it away.

***update***

I ran some more tests today going back to manual focus and this second Mavic 3 Cine is falling well short of my Mavic 2 Pro. I think it is very unfortunate that the original poster caught such flack for calling it the way they saw it and that some felt the need to brow beat them with their process as if the poster did not know what they were doing.

Until I see a good sample out of this Mavic 3 main camera, I am tending to strongly agree with "frylikeabird" that the lens on the main camera (or something else with it) is way off and that quite possibly the majority of these Mavic 3 drones are not putting out the image quality one should expect at the price point.

Last edited:
Of all the footage that I have seen online, here is one that clearly shows the difference in sharpness between the Mavic 3 and the Evo 2 Pro. Watch it on a 4K screen and it will be obvious.

The colors and dynamic range are certainly better on the Mavic 3 but, the Evo 2 Pro is miles ahead in terms of image clarity. Considering the price they are asking for the Mavic 3, I expect it to be a flawless drone but it's far to be one.

I was already disappointed with the soft image on my Mavic 2 Pro and I sold it hoping that DJI would solve that problem on the Mavic 3 but it appears to be even worse.

The only Mavic that had a real sharp image was the first one. Okay, the overall quality was behind the following iterations of the Mavic and that's normal but I cannot believe that DJI is not capable to associate the level of sharpness of the Mavic 1 and the improved dynamic range and overall image quality of the Mavic 3 sensor.

Last edited:
Of all the footage that I have seen online, here is one that clearly shows the difference in sharpness between the Mavic 3 and the Evo 2 Pro. Watch it on a 4K screen and it will be obvious.

The colors and dynamic range are certainly better on the Mavic 3 but, the Evo 2 Pro is miles ahead in terms of image clarity. Considering the price they are asking for the Mavic 3, I expect it to be a flawless drone but it's far to be one.

I was already disappointed with the soft image on my Mavic 2 Pro and I sold it hoping that DJI would solve that problem on the Mavic 3 but it appears to be even worse.

The only Mavic that had a real sharp image was the first one. Okay, the overall quality was behind the following iterations of the Mavic and that's normal but I cannot believe that DJI is not capable to associate the level of sharpness of the Mavic 1 and the improved dynamic range and overall image quality of the Mavic 3 sensor.
This is what I thought too, until I got my third one. It is not quite as good as my EVO II Enterprise but very close so with the tele cam, it kind of blows it away from a productivity standpoint.

Right before I left for Iceland, I did a TV commercial and some of the B roll I got from the tele cam was just game changing. I am now on my final leg home from my trip and the Mavic 3 Cine did flat out incredible, some of the stitched shots from the 7X tele cam are well over 100MP.

I fought like heck to get a good main camera in the Mavic 3 and it was well worth the effort.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This is what I thought too, until I got my third one. It is not quite as good as my EVO II Enterprise but very close so with the tele cam, it kind of blows it away from a productivity standpoint.

Right before I left for Iceland, I did a TV commercial and some of the B roll I got from the tele cam was just game changing. I am now on my final leg home from my trip and the Mavic 3 Cine did flat out incredible, some of the stitched shots from the 7X tele cam are well over 100MP.

I fought like heck to get a good main camera in the Mavic 3 and it was well worth the effort.

I'm glad you got a Mavic 3 with a great camera but it is not normal for customers to swap drones until they find a camera that meets the advertised expectations

I'm glad you got a Mavic 3 with a great camera but it is not normal for customers to swap drones until they find a camera that meets the advertised expectations
Nope, but when I saw a good sample from someone else, I knew I had to be persistent.

Also, by doing this DJI knows they have to step up the Q/C or deal with returns.

Is it covered by the warranty or do you have to return the drone when it's still possible?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard