DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 night mode and 7X zoom

TomRaz

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I actually have a Mavic 3 Cinema but I believe my questions apply to both the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Cinema
So I updated my firmware to the latest version that came out last week, obtained a Firehouse Arc V and decided to try flying at night for the first time last night.

I had the RC Pro set to video mode, non pro res mode, auto, night mode, I took off and while I could get the gimbal to move up and down just fine with the left scroll when I attempted to use the right scroll wheel to zoom in and out, nothing happens.

I searched the DJI users manual not help, I contacted DJI tech support via online chat this morning and they indicate the 7X zoom camera does not work while night mode

Can someone please confirm what they are telling me, it would seem simple to allow the 7X to work in night mode because it is a dedicated camera on the Mavic 3

I am fairly new and look forward to your feedback

Reactions: R.Cowan and JoelP
I have not tried this myself but I have some serious doubts about the capability of the 1/2" sensor handling the 7x zoom in low light situations. What I have seen in late twilight hour exposures from the 7x sensor have bordered on unworkable. The 1x sensor does a much better job with that same light.

I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise but I have doubts DJI can do onboard software tricks to overcome the limitations of that sensor. I love the 7x mode during the day but......

Thank you for the reply, understood, when DJI told me the 7X zoom was not functional in night mode I guess I figured I would double check with the folks that properly know the real life answer, I was very impressed with night time picture quality, I saw someones Christmas lights on in the front yard, I was about above my home, and figured rather then fly over their house and use the gimble up and down along with altitude changes I would just try to stay further away and zoom in, well that is how I figured the zoom did not work

Oh well at least I tried and I did not crash my Mavic 3 a night and I really like the led lights on the bottom that come on at lift off and then about 10-15 feet off the ground on descent

I worry about visibility flying at night, but with the new waypoints feature I am planning to fly a mission during the day when I can easily see the obstacles and then fly the same mission at night. When I try this I will see if the 7x zoom works.

It also occurred to me that I can better compare various modes for the same waypoint mission such as night mode, HLG, dLog, etc.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I actually have a Mavic 3 Cinema but I believe my questions apply to both the Mavic 3 and the Mavic 3 Cinema
So I updated my firmware to the latest version that came out last week, obtained a Firehouse Arc V and decided to try flying at night for the first time last night.

I had the RC Pro set to video mode, non pro res mode, auto, night mode, I took off and while I could get the gimbal to move up and down just fine with the left scroll when I attempted to use the right scroll wheel to zoom in and out, nothing happens.

I searched the DJI users manual not help, I contacted DJI tech support via online chat this morning and they indicate the 7X zoom camera does not work while night mode

Can someone please confirm what they are telling me, it would seem simple to allow the 7X to work in night mode because it is a dedicated camera on the Mavic 3

I am fairly new and look forward to your feedback
I too just got the opportunity to try out the new night mode of a Christmas boat parade. The video was very nice, but yes, zoom isn't available. That's OK as I didn't need it...but was just checking.

I have not tried this myself but I have some serious doubts about the capability of the 1/2" sensor handling the 7x zoom in low light situations. What I have seen in late twilight hour exposures from the 7x sensor have bordered on unworkable. The 1x sensor does a much better job with that same light.

I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise but I have doubts DJI can do onboard software tricks to overcome the limitations of that sensor. I love the 7x mode during the day but......
Indeed. The only reason Night Mode exists is because of the larger 4/3 sensor's low light capabilities, f/2.8 aperture, and the Night Mode noise reduction algorithm that limits its output to only 4K@30fps by eliminating all elements that appear in only one of each two consecutive frames, as the noise is random, but the subject is constant in between consecutive frames. The 7x telephoto's 1/2” sensor at f/4.4 can't keep up in low light, but does a fantastic job in good light.

Last edited:
Reactions: shb
Indeed. The only reason Night Mode exists is because of the larger 4/3 sensor's low light capabilities, f/2.8 aperture, and the Night Mode noise reduction algorithm that limits its output to only 4K@30fps by eliminating all elements that appear in only one of each two consecutive frames, as the noise is random, but the subject is constant in between consecutive frames. The 7x telephoto's 1/2” sensor at f/4.4 can't keep up in low light, but does a fantastic job in good light.
Thank you

Should you be taking photos:
You may want to try to shoot in regular mode as it is getting dark. Since you get a DNG file you can underexpose quite a bit.
Total black night wouldn't work though.
I shot this with the 7x lens, exposure time was 1/10 sec and it is quite sharp.

DJI_0163.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks great picture, I thought it looked like LA and I was only seeing the top half of the picture and and I pulled up the post and saw all the cars, yep I am guessing this is LA traffic ?

Reactions: MaxHam
Thanks great picture, I thought it looked like LA and I was only seeing the top half of the picture and and I pulled up the post and saw all the cars, yep I am guessing this is LA traffic ?
Has to be. "Bob Hope Patriotic Hall" is only in LA. The "One Wilshire" building and the "LA Trade Tech College Next Exit" street sign confirm it, even though all the clearly named bank and hotel buildings could be anywhere. Heck of a lot of detail for the 7x telephoto in low light! The unique perspective it offers is awesomely different than the 4/3 sensor!

Reactions: MaxHam and R.Cowan
Should you be taking photos:
You may want to try to shoot in regular mode as it is getting dark. Since you get a DNG file you can underexpose quite a bit.
Total black night wouldn't work though.
I shot this with the 7x lens, exposure time was 1/10 sec and it is quite sharp.

View attachment 158391
Nicely done!

Reactions: MaxHam
Yes, this is Downtown LA seen from the south next to the 110 Fwy. It makes a bend at this location so it looks like I'm flying over traffic. That I wouldn't do though.

I believe Night Mode uses the 4/3 sensor only. And I can confirm that the digital zoom on my Classic is also disabled during Night Mode.

I have had zero luck using the 7x zoom in any low light situations, much less at night.

Its an amazing lens on a drone when used in bright daylight, however. Thats fo sho!

I agree, I often use the 7x zoom during sunrise and the quality of the photos are only good when the sun is close to rising, It would be useless at night.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000