Mavic 3 primary camera has lens distortion

Check this one. Its a good example. Especially the horse on the right bottom

Attachments

• DJI_0437.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 39
Your image is 5258 x 3938 pixels = 20704004 pixels
The horse occupies 44 x 60 pixels 2640 pixels
That's 1/100th of 1 percent of the image.
We're in extreme pixel peeping territory here.
I can't tell what height the image was taken from as that info is missing from the metadata.
But it looks like several hundred feet.
I'm looking at the horse and wondering what issue you can see (or imagine) is there?

Well, dji customer service confirm that the lens of my m3 has some blur in the corners and they want to get it back for reparation.
Problem with my is, even like some other users, that the lens had have blur on the corners and sometime it is very ruining my pictures. I cant sell them to my customers, thats my point. There is a blur on almost all images. Is that what we may expect for this amount of money???
My mavic 2 pro before was much better in detailing in the whole frame.

Well, dji customer service confirm that the lens of my m3 has some blur in the corners and they want to get it back for reparation.
Did DJI see anything more than you've shown here?
If that's all they've seen, they are just taking it back to satisfy you.
It's not possible to tell much about how good or bad that lens is from what's you've posted here.

And what is the issue with the horse?

I think it's relatively clear (or not clear) that the corners of the image are bad... horse included.

Reactions: danwnz and Darkabaz
Here a image. As you can see there is a lot of strange details on the corners... some look a bit double and some are just so blurry.

yeah that is not normal

Here are some not very exciting shots, and very quick and dirty edit on my mobile phone, but have details in the corners so if there was blurring you should be able to see it and I can't see that anywhere. And a zoom lens example and no corner softness. Sorry the trees and water one was not a good example as it is quite slow shutter, and was focused into the backgroud

Attachments

• Example1-01[1].jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 13
  • Example2-01[1].jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 11
  • ZoomLensExample.jpg
    ZoomLensExample.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Darkabaz
yeah that is not normal

Here are some not very exciting shots, and very quick and dirty edit on my mobile phone, but have details in the corners so if there was blurring you should be able to see it and I can't see that anywhere. And a zoom lens example and no corner softness. Sorry the trees and water one was not a good example as it is quite slow shutter, and was focused into the backgroud
Yes i see, your image with threes is also blurred in the corners. I really saw some shots earlier from other m3 users which were very sharp in the corners. So it looks like there are a lot lenses with this issue and a some without.

It does get blurry fast in the corners but it is also shot wide open at 2.8 so that is the worst setting to see that happen but in turn, is a good way to better examine how the image quality behavior is. My replacement is not near that bad but does also start to go soft about the same distance from the center.

If there is one thing I have learned in trying to get a good copy of this drone since nearly a month ago, it is that putting two cameras into one housing with a 4:3rds sensor on one upped the challenges quite a bit for DJI.

In order to get a workable lens to sensor plane distance, DJI had to use an even wider lens in going with a 24mm for that larger sensor. In turn, this made it to where the 7x tele lens (162mm) did not turn into something more along the lines of a 200mm lens. Unless wide angle lenses are physically large in order to make them optically superior, they all suffer in the corners at the wider apertures. Perspective control lenses for DSLR's are much larger than their non tilt-shift counterparts because their usable image circle has to be much larger in order to have movements.

The problem with the M3 is that the lens does not *really* cover the sensor and is fudged a bit with internal algorithms, nothing new under the sun for drones. So if the lens's alignment or actual optical performance index is even a little off, things can go south quick. There simply is no margin for error here and unless QC is airtight, we get a lot of sample variation in these.

Here is the reality of what the image circle actually looks like on the Mavic 3's 24mm 2.8 lens at 5.6 in regards to the image area...

Image Area.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkabaz
It does get blurry fast in the corners but it is also shot wide open at 2.8 so that is the worst setting to see that happen but in turn, is a good way to better examine how the image quality behavior is. My replacement is not near that bad but does also start to go soft about the same distance from the center.

If there is one thing I have learned in trying to get a good copy of this drone since nearly a month ago, it is that putting two cameras into one housing with a 4:3rds sensor on one upped the challenges quite a bit for DJI.

In order to get a workable lens to sensor plane distance, DJI had to use an even wider lens in going with a 24mm for that larger sensor. In turn, this made it to where the 7x tele lens (162mm) did not turn into something more along the liens of a 200mm lens. Unless wide angle lenses are physically large in order to make them optically superior, they all suffer in the corners at the wider apertures. Perspective control lenses for DSLR's are twice the size of their non tilt-shift counterparts because their usable image circle has to be much larger in order to have movements.

The problem is that the lens does not *really* cover the sensor and is fudged a bit with internal algorithms, nothing new under the sun for drones. So if the lens's alignment or actual optical performance index is even a little off, things can go south quick. There simply is no margin for error here and unless QC is airtight, we get a lot of sample variation in these.

Here is the reality of what the image circle actually looks like on the Mavic 3's 24mm 2.8 lens in regard to the image area...

View attachment 154512
Interesting info. It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Mavic 3 classic has sharper images than the current Mavic 3. I was looking to buy a mavic 3 but on the fence until the classic is out. I had a similar experience with the Mini 3 pro, it has issues with corner sharpness.

Reactions: Darkabaz and KS-6
Well, with that count of issues with the corner sharpness ( by far i am not the only one ) we may call it an global issue for more models. I hope they can fix it or that they will replace it for a new one that has not these kind of distortion/unsharpness... it is not usable for some customers at this moment. Also for the pano images the images are sometimes verry blurry between 2 images...

Yes i see, your image with threes is also blurred in the corners. I really saw some shots earlier from other m3 users which were very sharp in the corners. So it looks like there are a lot lenses with this issue and a some without.
As I said in my post that wasn't a good example because of a long shutter, so the blur is motion not corner softness

Posts like these make me really nervous, as I am about to order the M3. But at the same time IMHO at f2.8 it is a bit foolish to expect perfectly sharp images from such a small lens in front of M43 size sensor all the way into the tip of corners.Even on DSLR most WA lenses do not produce perfectly sharp corners wide open.

Last edited:
Posts like these make me really nervous, as I am about to order the M3. But at the same time IMHO at f2.8 it is a bit foolish to expect perfectly sharp images from such a small lens in front of M43 size sensor all the way into the tip of corners.Even on DSLR most WA lenses do not produce perfectly sharp corners wide open.
If you look on YT, you'll probably see *many* videos discussing the Mavic 3 and the Cine Model. You'll probably note that the video and photos they post look great, unless they are describing some camera problem they encountered and if no one else or very few are running into it, then there is nothing wrong with the actual model, its just one with an issue requiring repair or replacement.

If you do run into an issue out of the box, chances are it's an unfortunate hardware issue and you could show DJI the issue and they would replace the drone. It happens no matter what the product and it doesn't make the product any less great once you have a fully functional one.. So If you spotted it right away, , you could probably exchange it with the place you bought it from if they were more convenient than to make a call to DJI support for them to manage it.

However, you have to order one to see what happens, chances are, you'll be fine. I've bought 3 DJI drones, never had a problem with any of them, however there could be a future upgrade perhaps that I'll get one that has an issue and I'll never know till I get there...

I understand. I look for a non-HDR image and found one. I attach from one image both 3 sides:
center (church) (quite sharp), left (blur) and right (blur). I'm sure the lens is not 100%. Check the threes specially. And i have got an amateur eye 😄
Posting parts of 3 cropped images doesn't prove anything either. The only way to show what you are claiming is by seeing a full size, well exposed single image that used a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur even in wind. I have to ask ... are you just messing with us at this point?

Reactions: Meta4
Posting parts of 3 cropped images doesn't prove anything either. The only way to show what you are claiming is by seeing a full size, well exposed single image that used a fast enough shutter speed to avoid motion blur even in wind. I have to ask ... are you just messing with us at this point?
Messing with us? What do you think? Do you think i send the drone back for my pleasure? I need it mostly every week for some jobs dude. One of my clients send me an mail after receiving the photos and he said, "mate check your corners they are not sharp. For us it is unusable". I was in shock. I bought a drone for 2000€ +++ and it was not sharp?!
So that is the reason i check all photos carefully and only can say the same about it. I contact DJI and they confirm.
i ask this forum and got replies which telling me the same.
i May send it back and that is what ive done. The reason i upload 3 images from the sides on 100% is because i thought it was easy too see and other owners can compare there images with these. I was not sure if the forum can include full JPEGs without quality lose because it take a lot of space.

Posts like these make me really nervous, as I am about to order the M3.
If it was as bad as the OP suggested, you'd expect it would be easy for him to be able to provide at least one example where the issue was obvious.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580