DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro: design elements from inspire 1 are ripe in patent filings

taitkenflight

Reactions
know the micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3.

May be so, but there is no way Mavic line can make use of interchangeable lenses like Inspire does. There is simply too much bulk and weight associated with such setup. And if that is correct, there are not many advantages of 4/3 compared to current 1 inch except likely even better low-light performance (unless they go for resolution instead. 8k is highly likely).

Ok, after digging through all the new patent filings from DJI, I started putting the pieces together. I know the micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3. Why such a big sensor? Why add OS to it?
Well i think this is what DJI might be up to... a Mavic 3 pro that takes design elements from the Inspire frame and camera system. DJI Mavic 3: New Drone with newly designed frame. - Drone U™
My only issue with this is the Inspire flys like a Mack truck and the camera being down at the low center of gravity means that when the aircraft rolls and pitches the camera swings like a pendulum making the camera less stable not more stable. Besides the Mavic doesn’t suffer from stability issues.

The reason the Inspire has the H design is due to the servo that pushes the landing gear up and down not due to being more maneuverable.

The x frame provides better maneuverability and strength because each arm is independently attached to the fuselage and only experiences torque in one direction. When have you ever seen a racing drone use an H frame other than as a novelty?

The only benefit to this design I can see is the ability for the camera to rotate 360 degrees but that means there would need to be retractable landing gear which seems like a stretch for a Mavic.

Personally I think the designs you are seeing make much more sense for the next generation of Inspire or other drone which suffers from a lack of portability. Even the proportions of that drawing suggest a larger heavier drone

I know the micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3. Why such a big sensor? Why add OS to it?
Take all the speculation with a grain of salt.
The predictions from these people are wrong more often than they are correct.
Do you know micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3 or have you just read another of their speculations?

A small competitor has been developing a micro 4/3rds camera drone and is about to release it so it's possible that DJI are also considering taking that path.
I'd be very interested in it if they do.

The reason is that the bigger the sensor, the better the camera will suit serious photographers.
As well as image quality, micro 4/3 would probably allow the use of a range of 3rd party lenses as the X5 camera on the Inspire does.
Not being stuck with a fixed wideangle lens opens up lots of possibilities.

Bill the Drone Reviewer says the Mavic 3 should be released on September 26, 10:00 am. EST.
BtDR just repeats what others have said.
That doesn't mean it's true.
I'd be extremely skeptical of anyone making release data projections that are more than a couple of weeks into the future.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
The Mavic 3 would have to be massive to accommodate micro 4/3 interchangeable lenses. I do not see that happening. There was a leak of an image of what looked like a 1 inch sensor with a lens mount, that to me seems more likely.

The whole point of the Mavic range is compact, so DJI won't sacrifice that. The H frame is clear not a Mavic series.

Take all the speculation with a grain of salt.
The predictions from these people are wrong more often than they are correct.
Do you know micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3 or have you just read another of their speculations?

A small competitor has been developing a micro 4/3rds camera drone and is about to release it so it's possible that DJI are also considering taking that path.
I'd be very interested in it if they do.

The reason is that the bigger the sensor, the better the camera will suit serious photographers.
As well as image quality, micro 4/3 would probably allow the use of a range of 3rd party lenses as the X5 camera on the Inspire does.
Not being stuck with a fixed wideangle lens opens up lots of possibilities.

Ok, after digging through all the new patent filings from DJI, I started putting the pieces together. I know the micro 4/3rds is coming to the Mavic 3. Why such a big sensor? Why add OS to it?
Well i think this is what DJI might be up to... a Mavic 3 pro that takes design elements from the Inspire frame and camera system. DJI Mavic 3: New Drone with newly designed frame. - Drone U™
That’s some rough photoshop work. I bet I could make a mini, air and even tello with an H frame look real enough for someone to bite

Reactions: FireDogCreator
I wouldn't be surprised to see them put a M4/3 sensor on the 3 just as good old fashioned marketing wank.
48 megapixels with a small sensor is a marketing gimmick, but a micro 4/3 camera wouldn't be.
It would be much more expensive and only attractive to a relatively small market sector.
The drone would have to be much larger than any existing Mavic to carry a 4/3 sensor camera and gimbal.

I don't mean to imply that M4/3 itself is marketing wank, it's a perfectly capable sensor size that I've seen used literally countless times in a professional setting. I meant it more as somehow DJI cramming a M4/3 into the Mavic form factor with the same wide-angle lens. Kind of like having an 8K screen on a smartphone - I'm sure 8K is extremely cool in a home theater setting but for such a small device, there's no point.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I meant it more as somehow DJI cramming a M4/3 into the Mavic form factor with the same wide-angle lens.
I doubt they could squeeze a micro 4/3 camera and gimbal into the Mavic form factor.
If it was possible we'd have seen micro 4/3 cameras on consumer drones already.

Whether it's "Food for Thought", or "Junk-food for thought", it's interesting. Either way, I'll wait and see.

How is Micro 4/3 marketing wank? It is a larger sensor so better quality! There is a point if they can do it and as a photographer I would buy it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them put a M4/3 sensor on the 3 just as good old fashioned marketing wank.

well seeing there are so many different opinions floating around ,with regards to DJI's next mavic model
i am going to throw my two penneth worth into the debate
the whole idea of the entire mavic range was to produce a drone that was a lot easier to transport around ,for the recreational pilot and because of that there is going to be a point where adding longer flight times ,and better cameras, is going to mean an increase in size and weight ( just look at the EVO 2) which will mean that its portability will be compromised
there has always been a considerable price gap between the top of the range Mavics,and the inspire models ,being the entry level drones into more professional type image capture
i think that DJI's next new drone, will be an attempt to introduce a drone that will bridge the gap between the Mavic range, and the much more expensive inspire
a consumer priced drone, is never going to be able to match the capabilities of a professional drone, at a price the consumer is able and willing to pay

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair