DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro lens test

Meta4

Reactions
I had a good opportunity to fly the Mavic 3 pro I was today and see how good the new cameras are.
I was photographing a brand new ship on its maiden voyage.
So the subject was going to be shiny new, in showroom condition and as an added bonus, the camera always loves red.
Conditions were moderately windy (20-22 knot winds), with overcast skies - ideal photo weather.

166mm equiv lens is significantly improved from the earlier tele camera.
Despite the dinky sensor, this can produce very good images.
Here's a shot from the long lens of a pilot boat at speed.
DJI_20230510122853_0163a-X3.jpg

It's ideal for chasing small fast targets.
With the wideangle lens on most drones, you have to get too close to small subjects and it's hard to keep them in the frame.
But it's no problem with the longer lens to sit back at a much more comfortable distance.
The image shows good detail, despite flying at full speed to keep up.

DJI_20230510122515_0080a-X3.jpg

An image from the wideangle lens shows that it's still as good as it always was.

I had high hopes for the short tele camera and it didn't let me down.
Here it is in smooth water showing an interesting bow wave pattern.
DJI_20230510155350_0092b-X3.jpg

It's good for detail and gives a nice change from the wideangle perspective that we've been stuck with for years.
I'll be using this one a lot.
DJI_20230510121955_0013a-X3.jpg

Here it is from a more conventional angle - the distant parts of the subject don't look too small with the conventional wideangle perspective distortion..

DJI_20230510154732_0004a_D-X3.jpg

Long tele perspective with a distant subject

DJI_20230510155720_0146a-X3.jpg

Wideangle is handy for getting it all in.

I ended up with loads of great images for the day and I think the client will be pleased too.
I think the Mavic 3 pro is a keeper.
It's going to be very useful and open up a lot more photographic opportunities that any drone in the past.

Much appreciated. Mine was delivered yesterday and will be home tomorrow to pick it up. Looking forward to it. I’m happy enough with the existing 7x so if this is an improvement I’ll be particularly happy!

Nice!
From a non-mariners perspective, that looks like a narrow channel. What's the location?

Thanks for the initial review.

If possible, can you upload unprocessed RAW (or JPG in original size) from 3X and 7X cameras, for analysis purpose?

I am looking forward to receive mine in a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: js47
Nice to see the output from the 70mm lens. I expect to be using that a lot with mine which should be delivered today. The 166mm images look better than the 162mm on my Mavic 3.

Here are a few untouched jpg files:

Thanks for the sharing. I imported this image into Photoshop, and did some post-processing (lift shadow, add a bit of sharpness, nothing fancy). Considering it is shot at ISO 800, the result is quite impressive. This is probably the best a 1/2" sensor could achieve.

I can say with confidence that the new 7X camera is vastly improved, compared to the old one for M3.

3X.jpg

These look great. I do love the tele perspective for something other than the usual drone view.

Got my Mavic 3 Pro less than an hour ago. I did a quick camera eval flight and can echo the above, a marked improvement in the 7X tele cam over my Cine. The 3X cam is looking great also, can't wait to stitch files with that one.

And I am relieved to say that the main camera on the new Mavic is every bit as good as the one on my Cine. This is a keeper for sure!

Here are a few untouched jpg files:
These samples are all seriously impressive!! Congrats to getting yet another well put together Mavic. You are either one very lucky champ or DJI have improved the production quality and Mavic 3 Pro do not suffer from the IQ variations the Mavic 3 did. One can only hope that that is indeed the case

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
These samples are all seriously impressive!! Congrats to getting yet another well put together Mavic. You are either one very lucky champ or DJI have improved the production quality and Mavic 3 Pro do not suffer from the IQ variations the Mavic 3 did. One can only hope that that is indeed the case
My Mavic 3 Pro had a soft spot in the main camera and back it goes. The other two cameras were actually very good. So there are still some quality issues when it comes to lenses. Magenta issues that the Mavic 3 had seems to be gone though so that is a positive thing. Hopefully the next one will be perfect.

My Mavic 3 Pro had a soft spot in the main camera and back it goes. The other two cameras were actually very good. So there are still some quality issues when it comes to lenses. Magenta issues that the Mavic 3 had seems to be gone though so that is a positive thing. Hopefully the next one will be perfect.
Post like this makes me nervous. The exchange process I went through with Mavic 3 was exhausting and drawn out. I would hate having to go through the same experience again with M3Pro purchase. In a way it is disappointing to read that the QC at the exit point from the factory is still poor. Units with serious defects should not be sold, full stop.

Last edited:
The exchange process I went through with Mavic 3 was exhausting and drawn out. I would hate having to go through the same experience again with M3Pro purchase
Was that a purchase directly from DJI? Or from a retailer/online shop? Please elaborate in what way you had problems with exchanging.
I might purchase a Mavic 3 myself and am aware that not all drones leaving the factory are in perfect shape. I plan to purchase it directly from DJI, as I get the impression they are flexible and quick when it comes to returns or exchanges, when it is purchased directly from them.

Was that a purchase directly from DJI? Or from a retailer/online shop? Please elaborate in what way you had problems with exchanging.
I might purchase a Mavic 3 myself and am aware that not all drones leaving the factory are in perfect shape. I plan to purchase it directly from DJI, as I get the impression they are flexible and quick when it comes to returns or exchanges, when it is purchased directly from them.
It was directly from DJI. Got the UPS return label in less than a day. Return probably takes a week from Finland to Netherland. Bought the new one from Finnish online shop, hopefully it will be a good one.

Reactions: waynorth
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR