DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro realistic flight time

TBH this has been a big revelation to me that M3 can fly for another 2 minutes with the FlyApp showing 0% battery level. I thought 0% means completely depleted battery discharged down to near 0 voltage. Apparently not so in this case. DJI must have taken a different approach for a safety reason and 0% does not really mean 0% .
I come from hand build RC planes and helicopters and used to measure the LiPo batteries with dedicated battery tester. I was tought to time the flight
to have 20% capacity left upon landing. That was not only for safety reason but also to prolong the lifespan of batteries. Discharging down to 0% was a big NO NO as repeating this bad practice just a few times would pretty much kill the battery rendering it swollen and anusable pretty quickly. But they were just simple batteries, not "smart" batteries with protective circuits etc.
If your information is indeed true and correct I might adopt different approach to how I operate M3 and not land with battery showing 20% capacity left as I have been doing but perhaps flying down to 5%. BTW is this mentioned anywhere in the Manual that flying down to 5% or 0% is actually safe and ok??
Since the original Mavic Pro, you could fly a wee while at 0%. I was once out 1.5km away and was at 0% with the Mavic Pro and reached back safely, heart was pounding but drone landed by me, just had to keep pushing the stick upwards so it does not force land.

It's been that way since the Phantom 4. DJI now holds back two minutes of flight time after displaying 0% battery remaining. Battery damage only occurs when any cell voltage drops below 3.3V. Voltage at 0% is still above 3.5V on each cell. Below 3.0V, it's going to crash quickly. It goes from 3.3V to below 3.0V in mere seconds after the two minutes below 0%! Not for the feint of heart! Hardest part is controlling the drone below 10% under Autoland. If you haven't practiced that, don't go below 10%, unless you are already ready to land with the drone directly above you. Hand catching is also highly recommended.
So what's the srcret to prevent autolandig when the battery level gets below 10%? I want to know and practice. Not that I will adopt this as a regular flying routine but it would be very useful skill to have in case of an emergency.

So what's the srcret to prevent autolandig when the battery level gets below 10%? I want to know and practice. Not that I will adopt this as a regular flying routine but it would be very useful skill to have in case of an emergency.
keep pushing the stick upwards so it does not force land.

keep pushing the stick upwards so it does not force land.
Keep pushing upwards meaning exactly to hold the throttle stick up to the max limit all the time after the autolanding starts? Or repeating pushing it up and relaxing to neutral position and pushing up again and keep repeating this?

There are no prizes for squeezing an extra minute out of your battery.
But the potential for losing your drone is a real penalty.
It's better to be conservative and bring the drone back earlier to allow for unexpected issues coming home.

Reactions: Suren and GadgetGuy
It's better to be conservative and bring the drone back earlier to allow for unexpected issues coming home.
In agreement 100%.

Make sure you have enough altitude before reaching 10%, to fly all the way back on a descending glide path above all intervening obstacles, without needing to ascend, so you can gradually let go of the full upstick. The max forward speed is reduced as is the response to full upstick once it reaches 10%. Turning off Autolanding in the parameters with DroneHacks also makes it a lot easier, so you aren't also having to fight forced descent, that can otherwise be overridden to prevent descent, but only allows for minimal elevation increase even with full upstick. Practice it in a safe environment, but still plan to land when it reaches 5%, to not stress the battery too much, as taking it down to 0% or below can modestly affect future flight times with the same battery.

When "Icarus" has inadvertently flown too far, the prize for squeezing that extra minute out of your battery can prevent the real penalty of losing your drone, and at least get you to a safe and dry ditch point, if not all the way home. Saltwater landings never end well. LOL!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark