DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Pro

Maybe they were planning on releasing the Mavic 3 and then caught wind of what the new Autel has and it sent them back to the drawing board. Updating the Mavic to 4K 60fps dosen't sound so great anymore as the Autel will do 4K 120fps as well as up to 8K. They will need to update much more to stay competetive. This is a good thing...
Yes, maybe so. But I would think a DJI Mavic drone with 4K 120fps or 8k would really be out of the budget for a lot of people.

Whatever is coming , I just need these specs: D. 100ft H. 400ft. All good with the rest. M2P current camera is amazing.

My philosophy is, get the best now, M2P, and if the M3 comes out sooner, sell the M2, if later, you're fine...
This is the Golden Rule for consumer electronics.

Get what you need right now. Something better will be out in 6 months. It won't make your current purchase obsolete.

Reactions: G Lee and Thomas B
I guess for keeping their position as market leader and generating high request comparable to Mavic Pro or Mavic Mini DJI will need to make the Mavic 3 better than Skydio 2. Means the Mavic 3 needs to be a similar foldable design as Mavic 1/2 with a camera better than that of Mavic 2 Pro and autonomous flight capabilities of Skydio 2 paired with at least Ocusync 2, an optional device similar to the Skydio tracker and a weight of less than 900 grams for better complying with actual and upcoming rules. That's a VERY big challenge...

Reactions: G Lee
I guess for keeping their position as market leader and generating high request comparable to Mavic Pro or Mavic Mini DJI will need to make the Mavic 3 better than Skydio 2. Means the Mavic 3 needs to be a similar foldable design as Mavic 1/2 with a camera better than that of Mavic 2 Pro and autonomous flight capabilities of Skydio 2 paired with at least Ocusync 2, an optional device similar to the Skydio tracker and a weight of less than 900 grams for better complying with actual and upcoming rules. That's a VERY big challenge...

I don't know about all that. I still think the Mavic 2 is the better overall drone than the Skydio 2.

Watch, people will get their Skydio 2, get on their bike or skateboard or car, do some cool tests, and then the bloom will be off the rose.

Just think of how pathetic most of the tracking videos have been from drone Youtubers in the past. An out of shape middle age guy waddles around a few trees and calls it a completed test.

In fact, the Skydio R1 was basically the same drone as the Skydio 2 but with a higher price tag. Nobody seriously considers that drone to be even comparable to the Mavic 2 overall. And when Skydio dropped the price of the R1 down to $2000, that was only $300 more than the Mavic 2 goes for, and it didn't exactly fly off the shelves.

I think DJI is more worried about the Evo 2.

And DJI is making gobs of money right now with the Mini.

The Parrot Anafi has just about the very worst wifi range of any drone over $300 bucks. And that's what the Skydio 2 will have.

The Mavic Mini was the real game changer drone, sleek DJI quality at $400, and it seems to be selling like hotcakes.

In 2 months ebay will be flooded with Skydio 2s, as the same middle aged drone enthusiasts focus on far superior Mavic 3 and Evo 2. And the Mavic 2 will be viewed in retrospect as the better overall drone than the Skydio 2.

Reactions: conchman
I don't know about all that. I still think the Mavic 2 is the better overall drone than the Skydio 2.
This depends heavily on the customer's expectations. For sure I am not an even cast who enjoys filming himself on scaters or bikes, so the Skydio is not for me, at least as long as I don't know enough about its performance in combination with the remote and as long as it's not foldable.
But imagine a Mavic 3 which you can fly in a very close environment actually too dangerous for the Mavic 2, such as flying between trees, through forest, through doors, windows and so on without fearing collisions. If the Evo 2 will really become a serious competitor, nobody knows today.

<CUT>

Just think of how pathetic most of the tracking videos have been from drone Youtubers in the past. An out of shape middle age guy waddles around a few trees and calls it a completed test.

<?CUT>.

The above description fit very well majority of drone owners, of course with small correction for obvious reasons :)

Reactions: Scouts
Has anyone tried to buy the Skydio 2? I was going to place an order and then saw I would not get in until the THIRD QUARTER of 2020 LOL.

Their could be so many new things out between now and then

Has anyone tried to buy the Skydio 2? I was going to place an order and then saw I would not get in until the THIRD QUARTER of 2020 LOL.

Their could be so many new things out between now and then

Yeah I put a deposit down a month ago, but with a May/June delivery date (3rd batch) I felt that money burning in my pocket. And when the Mavic 2 Pro went on sale for $1099 refurbished with extras and warranty on ebay, I jumped on it.

A big reason for the excitement over the Skydio 2 was that it was $700 cheaper than the Mavic 2 Pro. Not anymore.

This depends heavily on the customer's expectations. For sure I am not an even cast who enjoys filming himself on scaters or bikes, so the Skydio is not for me, at least as long as I don't know enough about its performance in combination with the remote and as long as it's not foldable.
But imagine a Mavic 3 which you can fly in a very close environment actually too dangerous for the Mavic 2, such as flying between trees, through forest, through doors, windows and so on without fearing collisions. If the Evo 2 will really become a serious competitor, nobody knows today.

The Mavic 2 already has obstacle avoidance and APAS. Nothing was stopping people from flying though trees for the 1.5 years. And unlike the Skydio 2, the Mavic 2 can actually hold propeller guards and extension legs. And in the trees, the Mavic 2 will have much better signal strength than the wifidio 2.

Sorry, but you are comparing apples with strawberrys. Mavic 2's obstacle avoidance is very rudimentary compared to that of Skydio 2. It is almost blind to the sides and not able to find its way autonomously through trees or other obstacles. ActiveTrack even in version 2 is nothing which will work unattended for a whole flight. I never doubted that Ocusync is better than the Skydio's Wifi transmission. That's the reason I say that Mavic 3 must be the better Skydio drone, foldable, with Ocusync, even better camera. It must combine both approaches to be the better product.

Sorry, but you are comparing apples with strawberrys. Mavic 2's obstacle avoidance is very rudimentary compared to that of Skydio 2. It is almost blind to the sides and not able to find its way autonomously through trees or other obstacles. ActiveTrack even in version 2 is nothing which will work unattended for a whole flight. I never doubted that Ocusync is better than the Skydio's Wifi transmission. That's the reason I say that Mavic 3 must be the better Skydio drone, foldable, with Ocusync, even better camera. It must combine both approaches to be the better product.

Wrong. And notice how you are declaring that the Skydio 2 only has to be better in one area to be a better drone than the Mavic 3 or even the Mavic 2. Notice that you are declaring that tracking ability is the singular most important feature of a drone.

Like I said, within two weeks all of these new Skydio owners will go back to flying their drones, rather than pretending they are extreme sports dudes. And when they quickly go back to flying drones, they will reach for the drone with the superior video quality, photo quality, transmission range, quietness, and ability to fly during/after sunset/sunrise.

Once you read the warranty fine print and OA specs, you'll find the Skydio 2 not as cracked up as the marketing hype leads you to believe.

I think if DJI produces a drone with Skydio 2 avoidance and ups the camera to have zoom etc. that drone (Mavic 3) will definitely be over 2k. Once this happens and I speak for myself, that is more than I'm willing to spend on a drone as a hobbyist. I think the Mavic 2 pro is the sweet spot between the Mavic Platinum and the Mavic 3 once it comes out. Then again this is all conjecture till the Mavic 3 is announced and we know the specs. Just my two cents, this is only my opinion. Lets wait and see what DJI has for 2020.

There will always be the "next best thing". I remember when the Mavic Pro 2 came out, it was the deal breaker. I think it is one of the best drones on the market today. It's like motorcycles, you ride what you want, drones, you fly what you want.

I am seriously thinking about getting the Mavic 3 just because of it's newer crash detection system. Rumors have it being far better than the Mavic 2, which I think is great. The price of these things I want every thing I can get to help with not crashing.

I'm a retired cop with dementia. So I have to rely on drones that will easily fly. I had the Mavic 2 and sold it. Was afraid to fly the thing which is crazy. So now I may hold off to see what the price is on the new Mavic 3, if it's less than $300 difference I will probably go with the 3.

Just wondering if it will come out in January, or is January when they are just telling you about the future release of it, what is your opinion?

Just wondering if it will come out in January, or is January when they are just telling you about the future release of it, what is your opinion?
On January 7th, 2020 the CES show opens its doors in Las Vegas.
If DJI is there as an exhibitor, we will likely get some news about what's being released in 2020.

Reactions: Mitch
There will always be the "next best thing". I remember when the Mavic Pro 2 came out, it was the deal breaker. I think it is one of the best drones on the market today. It's like motorcycles, you ride what you want, drones, you fly what you want.

I am seriously thinking about getting the Mavic 3 just because of it's newer crash detection system. Rumors have it being far better than the Mavic 2, which I think is great. The price of these things I want every thing I can get to help with not crashing.

I'm a retired cop with dementia. So I have to rely on drones that will easily fly. I had the Mavic 2 and sold it. Was afraid to fly the thing which is crazy. So now I may hold off to see what the price is on the new Mavic 3, if it's less than $300 difference I will probably go with the 3.

I think you can get a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro for $1099 on ebay. That might make you less afraid to fly it, I don't know. I suspect you'll be afraid to fly the Mavic 3, but I don't know. You could probably get a great deal on a used/refurb Spark, Air, or Platinum, especially after Christmas, and that would make flying even less worrisome. Probably $300-350 for a used Spark on ebay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu