DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 RTH question

filipkir

Reactions
Hi Mavic 3 owners. I wanted to ask you, if you disable all the obstacle avoidance on the Mavic 3 will the drone be forced to use the old RTH method? Or it will stick to it's advanced RTH and smash into something since all the obstacle avoidance is switched off? Thank you, and merry Christmas to you all.

It will be the same as landing in sport mode , it will just use the RTH method and not the advanced.
The same as if you use it at night.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain. Land your Mavic 3 on the Water.
Hate to disagree with you but this has not been my experience with quite a lot of RTH Testing on M3. In good light, regardless of what settings I have APAS in, Off, Brake, Bypass, and whatever flight mode it is in Cine, Normal, Sport - Advanced RTH still is the method used and the vision sensors are still used. Straight Line Return to Home is only activated in low light when the Mavic 3 reports that light is too low to use vision sensors. So many end users are practically begging DJI to provide a defeat for Advanced RTH. Also, while tge Mavic 3 continues to use Advanced RTH in daylight I cancel it when the flight path involves obstacles. I had hoped FW V01.00.0400 would improve things. Multiple RTH tests that I performed indicated this was not the case. I think the concept is great, and takes "low power RTH" from the Air 2 to another level. But its still prone to collision under the right (wrong) conditions.

Most of all my flights are off the deck without any obstacles , so that maybe why I have not noticed it. I also fly mainly at night so yet again , I might have missed it.

What is a good test to do , to show there is a problem , do i need to take off under a tree or near a car. ? Ect.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 3 in the Rain.

I became concerned by the Homepoint I use at home. Unlike your second story deck, I launch from in front of my house, where I have 2 large (now leafless) trees. Up until the M3 I would launch with a clear shot straight up, so any Failsafe would come down the same if I lost signal for some reason.
Advanced RTH takes a lot of faith. More trust than I have. It comes back and attempts to go through the trees instead of over and down. I always end up pressing pause or cancel and manually landing it. It might handle it properly.

But I'm not going to give it that much latitude- at least until I see something better from it or the leaves grow back, lol.

If you want to test, launch it under a tree canopy, preferably where you can get 7 meters height before flying off horizontally to get good Homepoint imaging. When it returns, keep a thumb over the pause button. Just in case. Any return path with a tall obstacle would provide test criteria.

Reactions: drjmax and filipkir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS