DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 SDK - Admin Please leave here

Is this possible future app just aimed to be a Litchi substitute or would it also be a mapping app as well?
The ability to use the Mavic 3 for mapping would be a much more important thing, but given the way DJI have created their (overpriced) enterprise versions for mapping, I can't really see them allowing that functionality.
Maybe they want to add the Litchi functions in the Fly app. In regard to the functions, i mentioned to them that i use waypoints only and they want to know what the people want people want out of mapping hence the reason for this thread. Lie she said in her message to me is that Dji will evaluate the feedback and see if they can add it in.

I may be the only one here, but I prefer the Fly waypoints to Litchi. It's easier to use. BUT, a few things would make it superior. Cloud based mission planning, mapping/grid functions, timed photos, or Hyperlapse.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
DJI simply dont have the TOOLS - to Create apps.
They have tried for four Years to immitate LITCHI

They are drone designers -...

Thats why others Make these amazing apps with the SDK.

Im curious why this person Questions you....

This is again how most Western Designs get plagiarized by chinese companies.

Tell her to Just supply the SDK
Indeed. The SDK is the solution, if they were truly interested! Upper management is not truly interested, unless you buy an Enterprise drone.

I believe you are correct. As hopeless as it is with changing the course of their business plans, I still appreciate @Suren battering them with the ask. At the very least there are people at DJI that are hearing there is dissent within their consumer base about what some of us want.
I really don't think there is dissent among us. We all want an SDK. It used to just be about when it would become available, instead of whether. It's just that some are more willing to accept that DJI doesn't really care about what we want, and move on, and use the tools they have created for us instead, or upgrade to the more expensive Enterprise line to have an SDK and other mapping goodies reserved for Enterprise pilots. @Suren 's efforts are certainly appreciated by all, but unfortunately hopeless, based upon all publicly released statements about future SDK's.

Reactions: TonyPHX
I really don't think there is dissent among us. We all want an SDK. It used to just be about when it would become available, instead of whether. It's just that some are more willing to accept that DJI doesn't really care about what we want, and move on, and use the tools they have created for us instead, or upgrade to the more expensive Enterprise line to have an SDK and other mapping goodies reserved for Enterprise pilots. @Suren 's efforts are certainly appreciated by all, but unfortunately hopeless, based upon all publicly released statements about future SDK's.
I agree! I don't sense any dissent. Well, except for those dear folks at DJI. : ).

DJI's decision to limit new versions of the SDK to the enterprise models is purely a business decision to sell more enterprise models. Until it can be shown to them that they are losing more in net revenue by restricting the API, I don't see that decision changing. A relatively few people requesting the SDK will not change that.

I don't know what the sales breakdown is for the Mavic line, but I would say that most Mavic owners don't care about the SDK. It does affect the Mavic 3 owners who would use apps based on the SDK, but DJI would prefer to sell those customers an enterprise-level drone with all of the other stuff that comes with one.

Suren I don't reckon people have any reading comprehension at all. DJI NEVER said no SDK for the Mavic 3 series. Just that it was low on the priority list.

Reactions: Suren
Suren I don't reckon people have any reading comprehension at all. DJI NEVER said no SDK for the Mavic 3 series. Just that it was low on the priority list.
They were very clear on what would be supported and not supported with the current MSDK.

From the MSDK v5 documentation (bold emphasis mine)

DJI said:
  • MSDK V5 only has an Android version, then it supports both Java and Kotlin language, the official sample is written in Kotlin language.
  • MSDK V5 will focus on enterprise-level products. Therefore, the enterprise-level products will have the highest priority in terms of model and feature support. Then come consumer-level products and handheld products.
  • Currently, MSDK V5 only supports the M30 series, M300RTK, Mavic 3 enterprise series and Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro. It will support future products later but no old products.
The last sentence was very clear, "It will support products later but no old products"

Also note the first item from the block quote, "only has an Android version". You can not support consumer-level products without an iOS version. For an enterprise system, you can limit it to Android. You shouldn't, but you can get away with it. If a consumer goes out and buys a Mavic 3 and uses an iPhone, it's not an optimal solution to tell that person that they need to buy an Android device if they don't have the remote that comes with Android. For an enterprise, that's less of a stretch. You are going to want to have dedicated peripherals for a system intended for enterprise work.

Hi, now that the Mavic 3 is discontinued I don't see any reason why DJI shouldn't offer an SDK for the Mavic 3. I would like to use my Mavid 3 for mapping. DJI did offer SDK's for their Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro for Android users. I currently do mapping with my Mini 3 because of the long flight time with the plus battery. I use Map Pilot Pro to do the mapping mission photos and WebODM to do the maps.
Maybe if we continue to hammer DJI support for an SDK for the Mavic 3 DJI may reconsider?

Regards,
Richard

Hi, now that the Mavic 3 is discontinued I don't see any reason why DJI shouldn't offer an SDK for the Mavic 3. I would like to use my Mavid 3 for mapping. DJI did offer SDK's for their Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro for Android users. I currently do mapping with my Mini 3 because of the long flight time with the plus battery. I use Map Pilot Pro to do the mapping mission photos and WebODM to do the maps.
Maybe if we continue to hammer DJI support for an SDK for the Mavic 3 DJI may reconsider?

Regards,
Richard
Until it can be shown to DJI that limiting MSDK support is costing them revenue, they have no reason to change. That's the problem of being the 800 lb gorilla in the consumer drone space, there's no incentive for them to make changes that will cost them money as opposed to earning money.

Until it can be shown to DJI that limiting MSDK support is costing them revenue, they have no reason to change. That's the problem of being the 800 lb gorilla in the consumer drone space, there's no incentive for them to make changes that will cost them money as opposed to earning money.
But they might see incentive if we can show them why many current and new users us Litchi and would rather opt to stay with the Fly app rather than move/look at 3rd party apps/drones to do mapping. All Dji is asking for is an explanation as to what the Mavic 3/Pro users use mapping for and an explanation as to what is the need for SDK in a consumer drone. If you see their message in my 1st post, they say that many don't understand the use of the SDK nor how to use it properly so they might just beef up the Fly app to match Litchi with waypoints.

But they might see incentive if we can show them why many current and new users us Litchi and would rather opt to stay with the Fly app rather than move/look at 3rd party apps/drones to do mapping. All Dji is asking for is an explanation as to what the Mavic 3/Pro users use mapping for and an explanation as to what is the need for SDK in a consumer drone. If you see their message in my 1st post, they say that many don't understand the use of the SDK nor how to use it properly so they might just beef up the Fly app to match Litchi with waypoints.

You are missing the point. DJI don't want you to do mapping with you standard mavic 3, they want you to buy an enterprise drone.

Unless someone can show DJI that they are losing sales over the lack of MSDK support, none of that will matter to them.

This may change in the future, But I would not make any assumptions from what a service rep would say.

DJI already knows all those things that the rep, in her well-meaning naiveté, is still asking you! Instead of asking you, she should have asked internally why the SDK is now reserved for Enterprise drones only. Unfortunately, there is a "Chinese Wall" (pun intended! LOL!) between her and upper management. This is so far above her pay grade, that she continues to waste your time with false hopes, even 9 months later!

Reactions: Meta4
Further communications. Please can those that make proper use of the SDK provide me instances of what you use it for as per request from Dji below and I will forward to them.

Quoted above - your contact requested proper usage of an SDK ....

HERE IS ONE SUCH PROPER USE of the SDK - that I cannot go further with without the Mavic 3 SDK

Pre-Amble
THe FLy App does not provide enough data IN REAL TIME.
However
If you are prepared to annalyse data of your Flight POST the flight, DJI does send a fair amount of info with the MP4 files it stores.
If I remember correctly - the SRT files contain all the DATA for Each segment of MP4. Further All the Logs show that Most SENSOR Parameters DO COLLECT LIVE DATA.

While FLying in a controlled environment - - The Wind, Exact Altitude, the Role, Pitch, and Location COuld be HUGELY USEFUL - for Consumers, and PILOTS

Without the SDK (For REAL TIME FLying) , You can ONLY use Software to Combine these Parameters - when Editing... AFTER the FLIGHT.

Here are three Examples of how I did this - ... for a Few Flights. (Click the Links)
IMAGINE if Your CONTROLER GAVE you THIS when FLYING !!! (Game Changer)

Telemetry 2 - Sunset (Click Youtube)
Telemetry 1 - Sunset (Click Youtube)
Telemetry - Sunset (Click Youtube)

f.jpg

There is So much going on here - I tried to use as Much usable Data as Possible.
Sometimes using Moving Images, for the Data as Needed. (STUDY the VIDEO) - Everything a Pilot would Need is there.

Its Possible for a Developer to Create REAL Time Output of this if They Had the SDK to Work from.

Please Note:
I stopped doing this because the Work load was excessive to create such a Video - But its surely Possible - if you create Templates - and Just throw the Data in there.

Also NOTE: That an SDK is Not available from DJI for the Mavic 3 Series ! (So real time Versions of such a Flight App would be Impossible)

CMON DJI - Release the M3 SDK !!!

Last edited:
I feel sorry for those that did, but I am so glad I didn’t buy a Mavic 3 to use with Litchi. There’s no way I’m going to purchase one now, and I’ve been looking at other options, including Ardupilot and Pixhawk controlled drones, as well as extending the life of my M2P so I can continue using Litchi.

Hey All - Dji has been given the link to this thread to view comments about requesting the SDK. Can anyone that knows Litchi well advise on missing features that Litchi has that should be in the Fly app please.
Well.... now that we have waypoints (I have the M3C) the only other features I would like to see from Litchi into the Fly app is a follow mode that tracks the controller/mobile device, as an alternative but not replacement to ActiveTrack. I am forever losing tracking due to trees obscuring me. The only other thing I am missing from Litchi is the telemetry audio feedback feature, very useful to have battery level, distance, airspeed, and all those other metrics read outloud so that we can concentrate on the camera more. So if you are not going to release the SDK, then at least flesh out the Fly app with these things. Please DJI... thanks.

Reactions: Suren
I have no desire or need for the SDK but still, I support those who have their reasons for wanting and needing it and therefore I support the Mavic 3 community in their efforts. There's a certain level of expectation with certain drones and I feel this is one of them so it's not up to me to block or withhold support just because I'm not interested. I can't speak to how DJI feels about the situation, I only know what I would do if I worked there. Often times the answer is the customer's needs come first.

I have no desire or need for the SDK but still, I support those who have their reasons for wanting and needing it and therefore I support the Mavic 3 community in their efforts. There's a certain level of expectation with certain drones and I feel this is one of them so it's not up to me to block or withhold support just because I'm not interested. I can't speak to how DJI feels about the situation, I only know what I would do if I worked there. Often times the answer is the customer's needs come first.
A lot of us do mapping and various types of videos and photography using Litchi and it was a way for us to do it affordably. A lot of people here bought Mavic 3’s to upgrade their equipment for doing this expecting to be able to continue using Litchi and didn’t expect DJI to stop supporting it. It was probably a very large disappointment having to either sell their new Mavics to get a more expensive enterprise version with its lower photographic image quality.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert