DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 sensor "misfiring'

_seven

Reactions
i have 2 mavic 3 set and one is asking strange, its obstacle sensors keeps on detecting things around it when it practically alone in the air, i did the same test with my other m3 and it doesnt detect anything. since there's no calibration via dji assistant 2, any remedies?
i did turn off the sensors so it would affect me flying it in tight spaces however, I almost always use the 'display radar chart' so that i have awareness on whats around the drone at a given shot.

i have 2 mavic 3 set and one is asking strange, its obstacle sensors keeps on detecting things around it when it practically alone in the air, i did the same test with my other m3 and it doesnt detect anything. since there's no calibration via dji assistant 2, any remedies?
i did turn off the sensors so it would affect me flying it in tight spaces however, I almost always use the 'display radar chart' so that i have awareness on whats around the drone at a given shot.
Have you tried using one of those sensor cleaner pens to clean the sensor? Could be a smudge or something on one of them that is making the sensor see things. I clean mine once in a while just because... since that has happened to me before.

My second Mavic 3 had an issue with the obstacle avoidance system detecting objects erroneously. I sent it back to DJI and ended up with a replacement.

Reactions: _seven
My second Mavic 3 had an issue with the obstacle avoidance system detecting objects erroneously. I sent it back to DJI and ended up with a replacement.
Obstacle avoidance is more of a marketing feature than a useful tool. For an experienced pilot, it causes more problems than it solves, such as perceiving sun as an obstacle. I have always have it turned off.

Obstacle avoidance is more of a marketing feature than a useful tool. For an experienced pilot, it causes more problems than it solves, such as perceiving sun as an obstacle. I have always have it turned off.
How does this response apply to the OPs initial post or my response to the OPs post? If it does apply, then your message is, "fly in sports mode and live with a broken drone because I would." I never fly my Mavic 3 in situations where the sensors come in to play but for the one I had where the sensors were broke, the drone would not take off properly because it kept throwing up errors. Did I try it in sport or with the sensors off? No. Why? Because the drone was broke and I paid for a Cine that works. Yeah... I'm going to live with a drone I tried launching from a empty parking lot only to have it not take off because it thought obstacles were all around... Im not experienced enough to to fly a broken drone around, I agree, nor will I ever be that experienced.

How does this response apply to the OPs initial post or my response to the OPs post? If it does apply, then your message is, "fly in sports mode and live with a broken drone because I would." I never fly my Mavic 3 in situations where the sensors come in to play but for the one I had where the sensors were broke, the drone would not take off properly because it kept throwing up errors. Did I try it in sport or with the sensors off? No. Why? Because the drone was broke and I paid for a Cine that works. Yeah... I'm going to live with a drone I tried launching from a empty parking lot only to have it not take off because it thought obstacles were all around... Im not experienced enough to to fly a broken drone around, I agree, nor will I ever be that experienced.
Just passing along some sage advice from a well respected former DJI enterprise support engineer, who clarified for me in an email that obstacle avoidance is a feature, and not a guarantee. While obstacle avoidance is active, when your drone crashes into any obstacle anyway, obstacle avoidance's failure cannot be used for a warranty claim! Ask me how I know! Do with the information what you will.

So your replacement has never erroneously detected any object?
That would be a first!

So your replacement has never erroneously detected any object?
That would be a first!
Yes, that is correct. The replacement has not erroneously detected an object. I'm at around 150 flights with it.

Yes, that is correct. The replacement has not erroneously detected an object. I'm at around 150 flights with it.
Do you never fly with the sun low on the horizon where one of the many OA sensors is directly facing the sun? OA sensors are notorious for obstacle detection when they are directly facing the sun.

The bigger problem is the lack of obstacle detection when you can't see the small wire or small branch before running into it, or the accurate detection of an object nearby that is not actually obstructing, when flying in tight areas.

The better solution is pilot experience and familiarity with the environment so you don't have to rely on OA to try and save your bacon, because it is only a feature, and not a guarantee!

Do you never fly with the sun low on the horizon where one of the many OA sensors is directly facing the sun? OA sensors are notorious for obstacle detection when they are directly facing the sun.

The bigger problem is the lack of obstacle detection when you can't see the small wire or small branch before running into it, or the accurate detection of an object nearby that is not actually obstructing, when flying in tight areas.

The better solution is pilot experience and familiarity with the environment so you don't have to rely on OA to try and save your bacon, because it is only a feature, and not a guarantee!
Strictly speaking for myself, but I fly fpv (and not DJI FPV with nannies to protect you). Flying a drone 100% manual does not escape me where it's absolute pilot awareness and capability. Still won't make me accept flying around with a broken drone which is what this thread was about until it became a lesson on pilot experience and environment.

Strictly speaking for myself, but I fly fpv (and not DJI FPV with nannies to protect you). Flying a drone 100% manual does not escape me where it's absolute pilot awareness and capability. Still won't make me accept flying around with a broken drone which is what this thread was about until it became a lesson on pilot experience and environment.
Nobody ever suggested anyone fly with a broken drone. OA is a feature, not a guarantee. For experienced pilots, such as yourself, it causes more problems than it solves. Your absolute pilot awareness and capability are far superior to any fallible nanny OA feature designed for complete beginners who lack any pilot awareness and capability.

i do fly drones for a living and confident enough with my set of skills, i only turn on the 'display radar' for added awareness as some of my shoots require close proximities to objects.
my sensors are clean all the way and it does detect real obstacles around, its just that it sometimes triggers detection even at high noon,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute