DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Tele Lens

I hate copycats, and don't want to give away my secrets in such a public forum! otherwise I would show more of my work...

• Angry
Reactions: MaximusCZ
it's hard because I take so many! but you are right I could be wrong. Like 10 to 20 a day for the last 3 years is a guess. I took this shot today and I was kind of far... a fast-moving small boat. It wasn't my main subject... just a random one-shot deal! (Mavic 3 Pro main camera)
FYI: There is no Mavic 3 Pro drone. You must mean the Mavic 3.

I hate copycats, and don't want to give away my secrets in such a public forum! otherwise I would show more of my work...
For such a self-proclaimed, prolific boat shooter to now claim that showing your work would give away your “secrets” and create copycats seems a bit disingenuous.

“Just because your words can have meanings doesn't mean they are true. I just show photos and you have nothing to show that you are even close to my drone flying skills around boats..."

"The RC Pro is not needed at all if you're a pro at flying like me who can still use the tablet to change settings fast enough.”

Show your photos. Your drone flying skills around boats are now in question.

Last edited:
Sounds like an ego battle here. I am an amateur and only have around 87k photos in my directory. However, I do not claim to be the best or have the most photos. But what I do know is it does not matter how many photos you have, but how good those photos are. I would think the quality of your work would be more important than the quantity. So I would rather see you guys displaying some quality work vs arguing over who has the most photos taken. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I love the 7x lens. It is doable, now with DNG. For FP post, you cant tell the difference in 1x or 7x.

I have been hovering up high and take photos of people at 7x.

For such a self-proclaimed, prolific boat shooter to now claim that showing your work would give away your “secrets” and create copycats seems a bit disingenuous.

“Just because your words can have meanings doesn't mean they are true. I just show photos and you have nothing to show that you are even close to my drone flying skills around boats..."

"The RC Pro is not needed at all if you're a pro at flying like me who can still use the tablet to change settings fast enough.”

Show your photos. Your drone flying skills around boats are now in question.
I plan on it... I just feel bad I don't have photos to back up what I have been saying. YET! LOL... okay I will show you the data.

shot spring 2022 my goal at times is to get a low to the ocean and close to the boat as possible. (show me better! if so... then I will just have to show a better one! LOL) so far none that I see this close up and low! the red boat is just a basic shot but still takes some flying skills to get it right with minimal cropping.

Attachments

• DJI_0891.jpg b.jpg
    DJI_0891.jpg b.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 40
  • DJI_0642.jpg b.jpg
    DJI_0642.jpg b.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
and I know people that may like my work don't let me know because they don't like me! LOL

Yes I think for video at least it very much depends on whether you got the later camera (with the oval housing) or not. The latest firmware updates have definitely helped too with clarity. Personally I will only use it for short clips in optical mode, i.e. 7 times, as digital telephoto is always going to compromise the image. The 1/2" sensor is not as big an issue as 8 bit color, it really looks quite "Mavic 1" by not being able to shoot in 10 bit.

the funny part is... nobody likes my photos, but nobody has any better for this class of vessel. at least I am not a sheep and like to have fun making jokes. Oh. a very nice F/V that is FAST!

Attachments

• DJI_0139.jpg
    DJI_0139.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: hoipolloisix
Yes I think for video at least it very much depends on whether you got the later camera (with the oval housing) or not. The latest firmware updates have definitely helped too with clarity. Personally I will only use it for short clips in optical mode, i.e. 7 times, as digital telephoto is always going to compromise the image. The 1/2" sensor is not as big an issue as 8 bit color, it really looks quite "Mavic 1" by not being able to shoot in 10 bit.
Have you been able to personally discern a difference between the two versions of the telephoto lens? Most other testing was inconclusive with a slight edge to the original round lens having a slightly wider FOV.

The topic of the round vs the oval lens was discussed awhile back. Vic Moss for those that know him gave this response when he tested the two lenses.

"The new firmware did improve the Tele lens. But the oval lens is slightly sharper than the round one. Not enough for 99.9% of the people out there though. I have to pixel peep pretty closely to see much difference. But it’s there."

The topic of the round vs the oval lens was discussed awhile back. Vic Moss for those that know him gave this response when he tested the two lenses.

"The new firmware did improve the Tele lens. But the oval lens is slightly sharper than the round one. Not enough for 99.9% of the people out there though. I have to pixel peep pretty closely to see much difference. But it’s there."
The DJI leaker of all things DJI had samples of both lenses tested, and came to the equally inconclusive opposite conclusion. I suspect the only real differences are in the individual lenses of each that were tested and not the versions! The one difference that was clear is that the round lens definitely had a slightly wider field of view, when compared to the oval version.

The DJI leaker of all things DJI had samples of both lenses tested, and came to the equally inconclusive opposite conclusion. I suspect the only real differences are in the individual lenses of each that were tested and not the versions! The one difference that was clear is that the round lens definitely had a slightly wider field of view, when compared to the oval version.
with such a narrow field of view. I like the slightly wider view and would feel left out if I didn't have it... The colors aren't as accurate as the main lens even with the raw files. I will show a 7X Zoom shot photo next. and if I get no likes... proves this is not a good forum to get feedback on your photos as I get much more respect from Fishermen... they love my work and think I am the best. So far nobody can show better, so I rest my case! now time to fly my drone to take some boat pics... I could take 100 now if I wanted to... easy in one day! all different boats... but most would be at dock! LOL....

with such a narrow field of view. I like the slightly wider view and would feel left out if I didn't have it... The colors aren't as accurate as the main lens even with the raw files. I will show a 7X Zoom shot photo next. and if I get no likes... proves this is not a good forum to get feedback on your photos as I get much more respect from Fishermen... they love my work and think I am the best. So far nobody can show better, so I rest my case! now time to fly my drone to take some boat pics... I could take 100 now if I wanted to... easy in one day! all different boats... but most would be at dock! LOL....
And fishermen know quality photos when they see ‘em!

• Haha
Reactions: UAVquadman
Great photos.

I am not bashing anyone but people one these stupid boards need to watch who they bash. I have been working with RC heli's since the Concept 30's and mechanical gyros. Most of my stuff will never see the internet even if I posted every day from now on out something new. I can't tell you want I did but I am in the IT field and held an ATP rating in 90's before I finished my PhD. Also I happen to have done a LOT of work at Creech(And around that area of the globe a lot) that will never been public, but some stuff that I have had a direct hand in has landed on CNN.

And fishermen know quality photos when they see ‘em!
they do because it's their boat... in fact they would know best! see what I mean! LOL... I push the Mavic 3 to its limit so some would say it sucks because the camera really is nothing special compared to my Fuji or Nikon. now that I think about it.... you do have a point!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet