DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 telephoto lens image quality comparison - Oval v.s. Round

once I can do a better job managing time, my plan is to study for the Part 107 and at the same time I will organize all my thousands of drone photos and video I have taken over the last 3 years. And maybe I will sell a few prints but only if asked after I have already taken the shot but no marketing yet as not to piss off the FAA. this is what I really mean.
There is no requirement whatsoever to have a 107 to sell your previously shot hobby flight drone images and video. Organize them and sell them to your heart's content now! If that is the sole purpose of getting your 107, it's a waste of time. The FAA has no jurisdiction over your sale of your previously shot images and video, shot solely as a hobby/ recreationally at the time they were made. Perfectly legal. The FAA could care less! As long as your flight is truly recreational at the time of launch, what you later decide to do with those images and video is entirely up to you!

There is no requirement whatsoever to have a 107 to sell your previously shot hobby flight drone images and video. Organize them and sell them to your heart's content now! If that is the sole purpose of getting your 107, it's a waste of time. The FAA has no jurisdiction over your sale of your previously shot images and video, shot solely as a hobby/ recreationally at the time they were made. Perfectly legal. The FAA could care less! As long as your flight is truly recreational at the time of launch, what you later decide to do with those images and video is entirely up to you!
well said! I wish there was more like you in this world... as you speak the truth!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I got my Mavic 3 Fly More (not Cine) yesterday from Amazon, and despite it having 12/2021 on the label on the box, it actually has the oval telephoto lens. Very happy to see this. Have there been any additional side by side comparison tests between these lenses?

I got my Mavic 3 Fly More (not Cine) yesterday from Amazon, and despite it having 12/2021 on the label on the box, it actually has the oval telephoto lens. Very happy to see this. Have there been any additional side by side comparison tests between these lenses?
I don't have a video test between the two. But here are sample photos w/the Oval lens from 1x up to 28x. All taken from 3.5 miles away.

There is also a sub directory showing straight from the camera raw images at 1x and 7x from both the main camera and the tele. Also one other image after going through Topaz. Look at file names in the subdirectory for info on the photo.

For all intents and purposes, they are identical, with a slightly wider field of view on the round lens. That's really it. If you have a really good copy of each lens type and take the same photo with both, and crop the round one to the same field of view as the oval, you won't be able to tell them apart. There are mild variations between all lenses of both types that would explain any differences noted by anyone who has compared both, which explains the inconsistencies of their results.

I bought mine in May 2022 and it has the non-oval tele-lens, manufacturered in 12/21. Did I get a dud?

Was there ever any consensus on whether the oval lens has better image quality than the round?

Was there ever any consensus on whether the oval lens has better image quality than the round?
The oval lens is slightly, and I mean very slightly, sharper. I have one of each and did a test back in April.

Both are good.

The round lens has a slightly larger field of view. Any other noted differences are so insignificant as to easily be attributable to variances within individual lenses of one type than differences between them. To make any other assessment would require testing and comparing multiple copies of each to ascertain the normal variance, which no one has done, rather than just comparing one of each type.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada