DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 telephoto lens image quality comparison - Oval v.s. Round

Hi Chris

We have alread

Hi Chris

We have proven this, I don't for a minute think a single shot from a 5280x3956 Drone sensor will beat a DSLR of the same resolution BUT you take 10 or 16 or 26 shots using a 4000x3000 sensor with a Tele lens and combine them into a single image you are absolutely going to provide better quality. So say you make an image with the Tele lens covering just 5 shots across and 4 down that's 20 x 4000 x 3000 pixels that's 240,000,000 pixels! A single 4/3 DSLR is only producing 5280 x 3956 which is 20,887,680 which is 8% of the Tele stitch! It's mind boggling. If DJI can automate this so it's fast they will have a real high quality beast on their hands.

I think it's a whole new era in stills for drones.

Cheers

Andrew
I agree that the Tele camera does have a lot of potential. Thankfully the Mavic 3 has long battery life because without it you wouldn't be able to take the time needed to set up and shoot shoot manual panos with the Tele camera. I just wish that DJI would enable RAW on it and maybe add some of the automated pano functions as I shoot many panos in sub-zero temps and having the automated functions when shooting at those temps are a necessity.

Here's a 7X pano I shot a week or so ago (6 frames X 3 rows = 18 shots).
View attachment Tele Pano Building 2.jpg

And here's a similar perspective from the main camera at 4X zoomed (cropped) using spot focus (tap to focus).
View attachment M3-0006.jpg

Have only had my Mavic 3 since beginning of March so am still experimenting and getting to know it. Right now bad weather (snow storm and strong winds) has me grounded.

Chris

Reactions: Bussty
I agree that the Tele camera does have a lot of potential. Thankfully the Mavic 3 has long battery life because without it you wouldn't be able to take the time needed to set up and shoot shoot manual panos with the Tele camera. I just wish that DJI would enable RAW on it and maybe add some of the automated pano functions as I shoot many panos in sub-zero temps and having the automated functions when shooting at those temps are a necessity.

Here's a 7X pano I shot a week or so ago (6 frames X 3 rows = 18 shots).
View attachment 145870

And here's a similar perspective from the main camera at 4X zoomed (cropped) using spot focus (tap to focus).
View attachment 145871

Have only had my Mavic 3 since beginning of March so am still experimenting and getting to know it. Right now bad weather (snow storm and strong winds) has me grounded.

Chris
Chalk and cheese isn't it! Is very interesting the Matrice 30 has customizable high res automated panos using it's telephoto as part of it's features. So DJI can do it but chose not to with the Mavic 3. As a company would you not want to have your drone bustling with as many "Wow" features as you could? Maybe a bit rushed and hopefully something they can build in later.

Hope that weather improves :)

Cheers

Andrew

Chalk and cheese isn't it! Is very interesting the Matrice 30 has customizable high res automated panos using it's telephoto as part of it's features. So DJI can do it but chose not to with the Mavic 3. As a company would you not want to have your drone bustling with as many "Wow" features as you could? Maybe a bit rushed and hopefully something they can build in later.

Hope that weather improves :)

Cheers

Andrew
I would love a 7x pano option :D Not gonna pay $10k to get it though :)

Cheers, Jon

• Haha
Reactions: Bussty
guys

is the oval 7x lens still better than the round after the latest updates? Could buy a close second but only with round lens

I wonder if this is a States thing, or has the production of mixed lens shapes reached other countries?

I wonder if this is a States thing, or has the production of mixed lens shapes reached other countries?
Friend here in Minnesota just got the oval 2 weeks ago .... think it has to do with newer production maybe. Seems to be the same quality as my round one from December.

Cheers, Jon

Reactions: leebroath
guys

is the oval 7x lens still better than the round after the latest updates? Could buy a close second but only with round lens
Looking for the same answer. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on one I was going to purchase. Won't have an answer till this weekend if it is the Oval or Round lens. If the latest FW update improved the results of the round lens, then I will still buy it vs waiting for one with the oval lens.

Looking for the same answer. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on one I was going to purchase. Won't have an answer till this weekend if it is the Oval or Round lens. If the latest FW update improved the results of the round lens, then I will still buy it vs waiting for one with the oval lens.
the round lens is better if you get a good copy as it gives you a slightly wider field of view. I have the round version and would never trade for the oval.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have both. The round lens is slightly wider (very slightly), and the oval lens is slightly sharper (very slightly). But since the tele lens is all automatic, it really doesn't make much difference either way. It's use is very limited.

Reactions: oztx
I have both. The round lens is slightly wider (very slightly), and the oval lens is slightly sharper (very slightly). But since the tele lens is all automatic, it really doesn't make much difference either way. It's use is very limited.
you must have a bad copy then.. I have the round and it's sharp. And for me I find it a game changer as seen in this shot and many others I have taken. But I agree... the quality isn't so great.

Attachments

• DJI_0136.jpg
    DJI_0136.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 28
you must have a bad copy then.. I have the round and it's sharp. And for me I find it a game changer as seen in this shot and many others I have taken. But I agree... the quality isn't so great.
The round is sharp. The oval is sharper. But only marginally. But it's not really a pro lens no matter which version. W/o more control it's a "push here dummy" lens.

With the January update, DJI fixed the softness of the Tele lens. So even the round is sharp enough for what it's used for.

The round is sharp. The oval is sharper. But only marginally. But it's not really a pro lens no matter which version. W/o more control it's a "push here dummy" lens.

With the January update, DJI fixed the softness of the Tele lens. So even the round is sharp enough for what it's used for.
how many samples have you tested just to be sure, is the point I am making... but if It's been confirmed by many others... then maybe it's true, but sharpness and field of view aren't the only factors to determine what is best. I wouldn't trade mine for an oval because it's sharp enough and I like the wider field of view.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
and being automatic shouldn't be a factor... as the results are what counts... plus I heard they are going to bring manual settings to the telephoto lens soon but you seem to be an expert so I bet you would know this as I don't have any time except to fly my drone and share my work to make others happy! well, I want to go pro soon as I am the best drone pilot in the area, so I am told.

how many samples have you tested just to be sure, is the point I am making... but if It's been confirmed by many others... then maybe it's true, but sharpness and field of view aren't the only factors to determine what is best. I wouldn't trade mine for an oval because it's sharp enough and I like the wider field of view.
The M3s are my primary drones right now. When I received the oval lens as a Refresh replacement after a crash, I tested them out. The difference is minimal whether you're talking about field of view, or sharpness. It's likely not that noticeable to the vast majority of people would even know to check.

The only reason I really noticed is because this is what I've done professionally for over 3 decades. I pixel peep frequently when I'm testing gear. Whether for myself, or for a review.

It's just not really a huge difference either way. It would have more weight if the lens allowed more control. Then it would really matter.

This is a quick test I did this morning while we were flying a project. The light on Longs Peak isn't great, but it shows the utility of the lens. It's a usable lens, but not for much. Longs Peak is 72 miles away from the flag in the foreground. I did not test it against the round lens. This was more of a "this is a cool shot" kind of deal.

Reactions: UAVquadman
and being automatic shouldn't be a factor... as the results are what counts...
Manual control makes all the difference in the world. If you have ultimate control of the light hitting the sensor, you have ultimate control of how the end product looks.

Reactions: UAVquadman
Manual control makes all the difference in the world. If you have ultimate control of the light hitting the sensor, you have ultimate control of how the end product looks.
that's not what I meant as I use manual all the time. I just mean being automatic or manual will not change the sharpness of the lens. I need to learn how to edit videos in some pro software, but I am good with Photoshop. For video I just use Cyberlink PowerDirector.... lol...

Reactions: Vic Moss
The M3s are my primary drones right now. When I received the oval lens as a Refresh replacement after a crash, I tested them out. The difference is minimal whether you're talking about field of view, or sharpness. It's likely not that noticeable to the vast majority of people would even know to check.

The only reason I really noticed is because this is what I've done professionally for over 3 decades. I pixel peep frequently when I'm testing gear. Whether for myself, or for a review.

It's just not really a huge difference either way. It would have more weight if the lens allowed more control. Then it would really matter.

This is a quick test I did this morning while we were flying a project. The light on Longs Peak isn't great, but it shows the utility of the lens. It's a usable lens, but not for much. Longs Peak is 72 miles away from the flag in the foreground. I did not test it against the round lens. This was more of a "this is a cool shot" kind of deal.

perfect video for what it is. I live near the ocean and take so many photos and video of fishing vessels, so when they see my drone, they guess that it's me and then I feel obligated to share my work with them. A hobby now and don't feel like selling any of my old photos because that could piss off the FAA even though my intention was hobby I would rather wait until I get my Part 107.

Reactions: Vic Moss
perfect video for what it is. I live near the ocean and take so many photos and video of fishing vessels, so when they see my drone, they guess that it's me and then I feel obligated to share my work with them. A hobby now and don't feel like selling any of my old photos because that could piss off the FAA even though my intention was hobby I would rather wait until I get my Part 107.
Why would the FAA be pissed off at your selling of old drone photos shot as a hobby at the time? Sell away! Perfectly legal!

Why would the FAA be pissed off at your selling of old drone photos shot as a hobby at the time? Sell away! Perfectly legal!
once I can do a better job managing time, my plan is to study for the Part 107 and at the same time I will organize all my thousands of drone photos and video I have taken over the last 3 years. And maybe I will sell a few prints but only if asked after I have already taken the shot but no marketing yet as not to piss off the FAA. this is what I really mean.

Reactions: thomasthomas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf