DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 video flicker

nickruss

Reactions
Hello, I've noticed that a lot of my videos taken with the Mavic 3 have momentary flickers, like the exposure is being adjusted. It's quite disctracting.

The link below has an example where the effect can be seen at 4, 7, 10, 13 seconds.

I was shooting in 5k, ND filter, 60fps, fixed shutter speed at 1/120s and auto aperture/ISO.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Auto exposure has always been problematic for that reason. The way to get around this issue is to set your exposure manually, shot by shot. Pia? Yep. The auto exposure setting is a compromise you have to work around.

All modern cameras (including drone cameras) have some sort of light metering for proper exposure of the scene. Every one of your flickers coincided with a high contrast scene - and since we don’t know the exact metering scheme DJI chooses for their camera drones (not advertised like in the ‘old days’), the easiest and best way is to choose ‘manual’ exposure like Wingedpeccary stated above. For example, I’ll go aloft, view the area that I want to retain detail in and then select that as my exposure. Sometimes in the harsh sunlight of ‘high noon’ that selection results in washout of the highlights but I’ll simply reshoot with a different exposure value till it looks acceptable. Not sure of the Mini Pro 3 has it, but select histogram for viewing live overexposed areas of the scene to help you select proper exposure values.

239ACE84-629B-4227-B6EB-141837BD073F.jpeg

Attachments

• BDE5FB93-FF78-4222-B348-4E8398E270FA.gif
    BDE5FB93-FF78-4222-B348-4E8398E270FA.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 9AB09084-EA14-4274-BD3A-809A5B42E97A.png
    9AB09084-EA14-4274-BD3A-809A5B42E97A.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: maxmartin1975
Thanks for the explanations Strega315 ;)
I have the same problem with the mini 3 pro. I'm not a photography expert and I almost always use automatic settings, so I have to expect annoying light changes. But with the mini 3 they are very visibles, impossible not to notice them. With the air2s and the mini 2 they are less noticeable, softer. Could it be because of the generous aperture at f/1.7?

Thanks for the explanations Strega315 ;)
I have the same problem with the mini 3 pro. I'm not a photography expert and I almost always use automatic settings, so I have to expect annoying light changes. But with the mini 3 they are very visibles, impossible not to notice them. With the air2s and the mini 2 they are less noticeable, softer. Could it be because of the generous aperture at f/1.7?
YES! Absolutely! Don't be afraid of MANUAL mode on these camera drones. Unlike the days of 35mm or 120mm film for example, you get immediate feedback via your phone screen or RC screen, unlike waiting for a week or two for your film to get developed! Autoexposure on the Mini 3 Pro is very sensitive to contrast changes, perhaps more like the center-weighted metering vs the matrix metering. Same thing with the FOCUS, the Mini 3 Pro requires a bit more finesse and knowledge than the Mini 2 or Mini. But the results, are amazing!

YES! Absolutely! Don't be afraid of MANUAL mode on these camera drones. Unlike the days of 35mm or 120mm film for example, you get immediate feedback via your phone screen or RC screen, unlike waiting for a week or two for your film to get developed! Autoexposure on the Mini 3 Pro is very sensitive to contrast changes, perhaps more like the center-weighted metering vs the matrix metering. Same thing with the FOCUS, the Mini 3 Pro requires a bit more finesse and knowledge than the Mini 2 or Mini. But the results, are amazing!
Thank you very much for the interesting information. It will be a good opportunity to learn how to use the manual mode. 😂

As already mentioned, you can avoid this by setting the camera to manual mode and you should also do this with the white balance, as it can also change in the middle of a scene.

As already mentioned, you can avoid this by setting the camera to manual mode and you should also do this with the white balance, as it can also change in the middle of a scene.
Ok thanks. The problem is only one: drone batteries 😅. If you do it manually, you lose flight time

Its the auto aperture/iso at play here.
ISO in particular seems to be only changed in full stop increments so is very noticeable when it jumps.

You really are better off doing a full manual exposure for this sort of thing or failing that, allowing the shutter to drive but definitely not ISO.

I need to help to understand what's going on with my drone shots as of recently. I have been filming and apparently at the bottom corners it would look props would come in but Im not sure that the problem

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc