Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Mavic III

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

BSauce955

Inspire or be Inspired
Approved Vendor
Reactions
I asked this question in the Inspire forum and almost unanimously the answer came back that the Inspire II is waaaaaaay better than the Mavic 3. I'd like to see what the people here think. Now I know people are going to say that some of the features of the Mavic 3 aren't available yet, but let's just pretend that all of the promised things are available now. Which would you choose? Below is the link to the discussion on InspirePilots.

Thread in InspirePilots

I asked this question in the Inspire forum and almost unanimously the answer came back that the Inspire II is waaaaaaay better than the Mavic 3. I'd like to see what the people here think. Now I know people are going to say that some of the features of the Mavic 3 aren't available yet, but let's just pretend that all of the promised things are available now. Which would you choose? Below is the link to the discussion on InspirePilots.

Thread in InspirePilots
Which is a more capable machine? Inspire 2 and it’s not close. Which is better for you? That is a different question.

From a money no object stand point the M3 has two advantages over the I2. The most major advantage is in size and weight. The other is Occusync. Lightbridge 2 isn’t down right terrible but it’s not as good as any occusync drone.

The weight on the I2 and all the accessories make it a burden to transport. It takes up the almost the entirety of the trunk of my car and with the rolling case and all the stuff you need to fly I’d say it weighs 75-80 lbs. In other words this I2 can’t go very far from a vehicle. You realistically aren’t going to be able to take it hikes or boat rides unless you put a lot of effort and preparation into it. See photos with my Mavic Pro as a size reference. The I2 could eat a Mavic as a snack
890F010F-F2D3-4541-AC5E-7EDA9F5CB0E5.jpeg
5F38F3F6-ED80-46DC-B48D-514EE562F535.jpeg
So if you can only have one this size and weight issue has to be considered.

Now the I2 is an incredible machine, the handling is unrivaled and the sheer power feels like driving a Rolls Royce. You can feel that it is big and heavy but it moves effortlessly. The I2 easily hits 65-70 mph in sport mode and can ascend and descend faster than the Mavic.op

The I2 also has all the bells and whistles, things you don’t realize the Mavics don’t have till you own one. I have the Cendence remote for mine and there’s so many custom buttons and switches I don’t think I’ve found purposes for all of them. These’s more on the bottom of the RC you can’t see in these photos but you get the idea. Having SDI and HDMI out is also awesome. 64EFA3E4-EB71-4D9F-9F7E-6619C624703D.jpeg
69086752-B5BD-4A26-BB0A-EBE919465A87.jpegA235E8C2-A8AB-4ED3-83BE-36CEB2260E70.jpegThe app gives you much more control over aircraft handling then any of Mavics. When I first got mine I was shocked because lots of things I wanted to control on my Mavics were controllable on the I2. It like DJI took the gloves off and gave pilots the best they had to offer without holding back.

Video controls are the same way. You get a waveform monitor, focus magnification and all the stuff you wish the Mavic had. It’s a Professional tool with a capital P.

You get the fpv camera and while the quality is terrible it’s enough to see roughly where you are going and if you are going to hit something.

I could go on about shooting video in raw, 14 bit, interchangeable lenses, etc. but I think those things are the pretty obvious things that are easy to see it specs. If money is no object it really comes down to do you want to haul the I2 around. I think generally I2 owners are going to get an M3 as an “in addition to” rather than an “instead of”

It depends on what you use (or intend to use) the aircraft for.

Tons of differences which may or may not apply to you and how you intend to use the system.

Reactions: BSauce955
I fly an I2 with X4S and an M2P. The I 2 is a workhorse and impressive every time I use it. It can be seen at a much greater distance than any of the Mavics, allowing for flying farther away and staying legal. It can also support multiple cameras and lenses, allowing for much more versatility. On the other hand, any Mavic is much more transportable and innocuous in conditions where you don't really want to draw any undue attention. So, it really depends on your requirements. If you don't know what your requirements are, then you can't really compare them. I love them both when they are working in their individual "sweet spots".

Which is a more capable machine? Inspire 2 and it’s not close. Which is better for you? That is a different question.

From a money no object stand point the M3 has two advantages over the I2. The most major advantage is in size and weight. The other is Occusync. Lightbridge 2 isn’t down right terrible but it’s not as good as any occusync drone.

The weight on the I2 and all the accessories make it a burden to transport. It takes up the almost the entirety of the trunk of my car and with the rolling case and all the stuff you need to fly I’d say it weighs 75-80 lbs. In other words this I2 can’t go very far from a vehicle. You realistically aren’t going to be able to take it hikes or boat rides unless you put a lot of effort and preparation into it. See photos with my Mavic Pro as a size reference. The I2 could eat a Mavic as a snack
View attachment 138518
View attachment 138519
So if you can only have one this size and weight issue has to be considered.

Now the I2 is an incredible machine, the handling is unrivaled and the sheer power feels like driving a Rolls Royce. You can feel that it is big and heavy but it moves effortlessly. The I2 easily hits 65-70 mph in sport mode and can ascend and descend faster than the Mavic.op

The I2 also has all the bells and whistles, things you don’t realize the Mavics don’t have till you own one. I have the Cendence remote for mine and there’s so many custom buttons and switches I don’t think I’ve found purposes for all of them. These’s more on the bottom of the RC you can’t see in these photos but you get the idea. Having SDI and HDMI out is also awesome. View attachment 138520
View attachment 138521View attachment 138522The app gives you much more control over aircraft handling then any of Mavics. When I first got mine I was shocked because lots of things I wanted to control on my Mavics were controllable on the I2. It like DJI took the gloves off and gave pilots the best they had to offer without holding back.

Video controls are the same way. You get a waveform monitor, focus magnification and all the stuff you wish the Mavic had. It’s a Professional tool with a capital P.

You get the fpv camera and while the quality is terrible it’s enough to see roughly where you are going and if you are going to hit something.

I could go on about shooting video in raw, 14 bit, interchangeable lenses, etc. but I think those things are the pretty obvious things that are easy to see it specs. If money is no object it really comes down to do you want to haul the I2 around. I think generally I2 owners are going to get an M3 as an “in addition to” rather than an “instead of”

Thread in InspirePilots
First off, I2 owners probably won’t tell you the truth lol.

I just sold my I2 because this M3 can do a lot the I2 can’t do. The sensor in the x5s is the same sensor as we have in the M3. Now, the M3 gives us 5.1k verses only 4K with the I2, unless you have the SSD and pro res license, most owners didn’t buy that stuff. Once the January update comes we get 200 FPS in 1080, 120 FPS in 4k. Making the M3 way more suitable for slow motion.

The M3 camera is the I2 x5s camera on steroids. I2 owners will never admit that though lol.

The I2 is not a user friendly drone, it’s big and bulky. I do prefer the Go app over this fly more app. And I do prefer the ability to set max speeds in Tripod mode. But Cine mode for the M3 might do the trick but I haven’t flown my M3 yet, bad weather.

The I2 also tends to crash, too heavy to slow down. Everyone I know who’s owned one has crashed at least once.

Reactions: BSauce955
First off, I2 owners probably won’t tell you the truth lol.

I just sold my I2 because this M3 can do a lot the I2 can’t do. The sensor in the x5s is the same sensor as we have in the M3. Now, the M3 gives us 5.1k verses only 4K with the I2, unless you have the SSD and pro res license, most owners didn’t buy that stuff. Once the January update comes we get 200 FPS in 1080, 120 FPS in 4k. Making the M3 way more suitable for slow motion.

The M3 camera is the I2 x5s camera on steroids. I2 owners will never admit that though lol.

The I2 is not a user friendly drone, it’s big and bulky. I do prefer the Go app over this fly more app. And I do prefer the ability to set max speeds in Tripod mode. But Cine mode for the M3 might do the trick but I haven’t flown my M3 yet, bad weather.

The I2 also tends to crash, too heavy to slow down. Everyone I know who’s owned one has crashed at least once.
That’s not an equivalent comparison. To compare Apples to Apples, the baseline should be the M3 Cine Premium vs I2 with at least ProRes and X5s, if not CinemaDNG with X7. For that very reason, most current I2 owners asking this question DO have the SSD w/ the licenses. The Air 2s has a 5.4k resolution, but I don’t think many would argue it’s better than the I2.

Last edited:
A new Inspire 3 will probably make the comparison moot. The Inspire will still be for people that require a pro camera. Although the M3 has the best camera yet for a fixed lens model, it doesn‘t offer the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera, that can be controlled by another person, pointed independently and also be upgraded. Just my thoughts and looking forward to the next Inspire!

That’s not an equivalent comparison. To compare Apples to Apples, the baseline should be the M3 Cine Premium vs I2 with at least ProRes and X5s, if not CinemaDNG with X7. For that very reason, most current I2 owners asking this question DO have the SSD w/ the licenses. The Air 2s has a 5.4k resolution, but I don’t think many would argue it’s better than the I2.
Most current owners have the SSD and license, how could (let’s see where’s the capital letters) YOU possibly know that? You’d make a good politician, ever thought about getting into politics?

Most current owners have the SSD and license, how could (let’s see where’s the capital letters) YOU possibly know that? You’d make a good politician, ever thought about getting into politics?
(You see here’s the Capital Letter) I know it because until the pandemic started, I (otherwise referred to the Capital Letters) ME worked in Sales for DJI with access to a certain amount of use-ful/less data. We didn’t have the data from the retailer’s sales to the consumer. But had data on total number of activated units and license keys. Most had at least one license key attached and it wouldn’t have changed that drastically since I’ve been gone. It would be shocking if it was turned around, since the inspire product line; specifically the Inspire 2 was developed for a target market of professionals for high level filmmaking that require the advanced functionalities/capabilities… Regardless, I didn’t know anything about the Mavic 3 before it was released. And I’m really surprised that they made the consumer/prosumer product line’s newest model comparable to the I2

Reactions: retiredNH

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG