DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Waypoints vs Inspire 3

Surge

Reactions
With the Mavic 3 Waypoints, can you control the camera/gimbal manually while the drone flies a pre-set pattern automatically, like you can with the Inspire 3?

This is really key to flying solo while trying to capture cinematic footage. I have watched a tutorial on the Waypoint feature which was added a few months ago, but not sure if you can control the camera manually while it flies a preset path?

No one knows if you can control the camera manually with M3 Waypoints?

With the Mavic 3 Waypoints, can you control the camera/gimbal manually while the drone flies a pre-set pattern automatically, like you can with the Inspire 3?

This is really key to flying solo while trying to capture cinematic footage. I have watched a tutorial on the Waypoint feature which was added a few months ago, but not sure if you can control the camera manually while it flies a preset path?
Why not pick a nice afternoon with great weather, set a waypoint flight in your favorite location, and give it a whirl? Then you can post this back to us. Perhaps I missed your point. If so, I apologize.

"Go try it yourself" - oh thanks, the thought had not crossed my mind!
I can, I thought someone would know.
You didn't miss my point, but you didn't answer it. Surprised literally no one knows - this is the main benefit of waypoints to me - to be able to control the camera while the drone flies a preset route, as seen on the Inspire 3.

What you're looking for is called cable cam (or course lock perhaps), I'm not sure if the Mavic 3 has that feature or not (I don't have one) but that's the name of the feature that you are looking for.

Reactions: Surge
It is surprising that no one has weighed in on this. I don’t own an M3 series. With my M2 I have flown many Litchi waypoint missions, but I have always set the camera position in the software. Now you have me interested to give what you suggest a try. I realize the findings will not transfer to your situation.

Reactions: Surge
Thanks. I will try it as well and report back..
I3 makes a big deal about this, so I was hoping the M3 has it as well... clearly it's just software and there's no reason M2 or M3 couldn't do it...

Just tried on my Mavic 3 with the latest firmware. Can't do it. There is no control over the camera, other than starting and stopping shooting, when it's flying Waypoints. That's too bad - at least gimbal control would have been nice, and it's just a software feature. I guess this is partly how they differentiate the Inspire 3 from the rest of the lineup.

Reactions: YonnyMestampo
In my experience, today actually, it can be done. Just set the last Waypoint point gimble setting to "Manual" and you can move it as you need to.
Im on an older firmware on a Mavic 3 and used this function today

Reactions: Michael Gilbert
I believe the biggest distinction the I3 has on Waypoints over the Mavic 3 is its ability to manually control the speed of the waypoint mission. As for manually controlling the camera/gimbal the Mavic 3 does have that capability.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne