DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 WILL NOT support Waypoint or Mapping missions

Playing on the P5, larger sensors, Inspire 3, interchangeable lenses.
I too would much enjoy interchangeable lenses, and I'm not sold yet that my M3 Cine fix lens will perform as well as a seperate glass mount lens. Just the difference in glass & size bring question.

If the M3 lens is same quality, then manufacturing mini/micro size swappable lenses should be eventually doable. Granted not the same small suze as internally fixed... but somewhere a bit larger payload should be able to use light weight swappable mini lenses with optics to adjust for the focal distance to sensor.

I always thought years back DJI left Yuneec's designs alone... didn't compete. But with Yuneec on a slow ride on a dead horse, I've thought DJI should jump on a small Hex... call it a P5 or whatever. Yuneec had many poor points in design... RC, Transmission range terrible, mount point, etc. But the H480 or H520 were ultra smooth & stable, redundancy in motors, super quite.

To Redundant Motors & ESC's, Add Redundant batteries, retract skids (M600Pro), center mount payload, and DJI's electronics & Radio. Add MFT & FF payloads with above mini-lenses In a package between P4P & I2 (H520 size) and they'd have a winner in multiple arenas: cinematography, mapping, modeling, etc.

Low cost payloads for hobbyist, Thermo for SAR & Inspection, higher end payloads for Pro or Cinematography.

Indirectly... it's not... but I'm hoping the new Inspire 3 incorporates a few of these.... or if in design, the new P5.

But I feel they need to continue with smaller interchangeable lenses platforms and a Go4 App type Flight conteoller. I'm really hoping the I3 doesn't use the Fly App.
A new P5,that design is no longer,and in the past.

Who knows what is going to really happen,but the folding drone market is for sure the future.
I’d agree folding is here to stay... Many types of folding. Picture a mini M600Pro… folding arms, retract struts… center payload. Take a Yuneec H520 similar design with OcuSync. Yuneec was folding long before Mavic series. A folded Typhone H480 isn’t much larger than a Mavic 3 and has a higher payload capacity, more stability & redundancy.

As payloads get larger… MFT, FF… interchangeable lenses on smaller platforms, it’s going to need to move weight inward for load distribution, possibly more props for lift & redundancy. A system that can fly on 2 motors shy would be considered a safety craft too.

I’m hopeful DJI goes more Professional platforms with interchangeable payloads.

I’d agree folding is here to stay... Many types of folding. Picture a mini M600Pro… folding arms, retract struts… center payload. Take a Yuneec H520 similar design with OcuSync. Yuneec was folding long before Mavic series. A folded Typhone H480 isn’t much larger than a Mavic 3 and has a higher payload capacity, more stability & redundancy.

As payloads get larger… MFT, FF… interchangeable lenses on smaller platforms, it’s going to need to move weight inward for load distribution, possibly more props for lift & redundancy. A system that can fly on 2 motors shy would be considered a safety craft too.

I’m hopeful DJI goes more Professional platforms with interchangeable payloads.
It will be interesting,and what you are mentioning here could very well happen as the technology with the current DJI
folding drones can only go so far,before major body designs and other form factors will require big changes.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
It will be interesting,and what you are mentioning here could very well happen as the technology with the current DJI
folding drones can only go so far,before major body designs and other form factors will require big changes.
I just hope the new Inspire 3 will remain professional and not a Fly App Craft. I realize the goal is to reduce the Inspire platform down in size as technology allows, but I’d like to see it gain higher end payloads & retain autonomous on-board flight processing.

Check your facts. DJI has used Sony Exmor sensors in their cameras for years.

Maybe for you. You clearly do not like the Mavic 3. We get it. You've made your opinion painfully clear. But there are many professionals who do like the Mavic 3.

You should recognize that there is no one definition of professional equipment. Just the other day, I flew 4 Beta95x v3 "toy" drones on set with a major TV show. Why? Because they were best suited for the job at hand.

Different tools for different jobs. Which is why I have two Mavic 3 Cine drones to compliment the two Inspire 2s and the two RED Komodos with matching heavy-lift drones. The Mavic 3s are ALREADY being used professionally. It is a professional drone for me.

P.S. This is a big tangent. Back to topic. We will get waypoints via the API. I am impatiently waiting!
On the contrary, I do like my M3 and researched it in depth before I ever bought it, and I knew what to expect... which is why I was never one of these disgruntled consumers we see so often regarding this drone.

No definition for professional equipment, what am I supposed to say now? I guess pro hockey players are idiotic for spending $1000 on a stick instead of using that $20 Walmart special?

The Mavic is a toy drone that can perform very well under certain conditions. I knew that before I ever bought it. It’s a neat little toy to out and have fun with. The camera system is point and shoot, simple and basic.

I don’t regret buying it, no surprises.

Reactions: lorpal
Some points on similar thought path.
Although DJI platforms like I2, M210, M300, M600 are Pro level and continue to be used in multiple Pro categories. Then the larger scale Agras for Ag present even more categories. You site the I2 is huge, I find the I2 a nice size for most projects.... and a Mavic a smaller platform, both functional.

The XT2 640, XT 640 are both excellent Thermos... not consumer grade. The X5S and X7... even the older X5R are Prosumer and continue to be used in professional environments by professionals. A DSLR gimbal mount under a M600Pro is often used... similar to a Alta 6 or 8. Mount a LiDar and M600Pro used by many professional agencies.

But you're correct, DJI provides multiple consumer platforms, but also provides multiple Prosumer / Pro platforms. Hold a majority market share in both categories. Regardless of what some may like or feel doesn't change their majority maket share in both categories.

That said, the new designs can be basically anything... can combine scope of P4P and I2 into one platform... don't know. They'll consistently release platforms in consumer & prosumer, and most likely retain the bulk of that market share for sometime.

Is the M3 pro level... for many yes, others no. It does offer pro capabilities.... more than the M2P... for many both are pro level. Many have generated nice income from Mavic... that's Professional level.

Does it replace a Inspire 2... for most no... some yes.
It's not ideal, but it does provide more in multiple ways... slides "currently" in other ways. Let's reexamine in 8-12 months from release.

You've expressed in several posts against DJI, what Brand / Model is your alternative. The Evolve 2 and Airpeak look great... but larger than Mavic series.
I can concede to much of what your saying, but I know for a fact a Phantom airframe will support a 4/3 camera system with interchangeable lenses that would rival the I2. DJI verified that when they made the P5 with a 1” sensor and interchangeable lenses, then made that wee 4/3 we see on this Mavic.

We will most certainly get an SDK, or else this will be the last DJI product for many I suspect.
I'm not holding my breath nor waiting around. This day I returned my unopened Mavic 3 for a refund along with a new extra battery, a carrying case, and a multi-battery charger. DJI is telling us we can't run Waypoint missions, they are telling us we can't do photogrammetry missions with DroneDeploy, they are telling us we can't choose Litchi for some features DJI has chosen not make available, and any other SDK-dependent service we need. I am not a prisioner of DJI and will consider other alternatives now. Also they should be sued for false marketing ... they call a drone a pro, but say they won't provide features they took away from us because that drone they call pro is not a pro. They are fakes.

I'm not holding my breath nor waiting around. This day I returned my unopened Mavic 3 for a refund along with a new extra battery, a carrying case, and a multi-battery charger. DJI is telling us we can't run Waypoint missions, they are telling us we can't do photogrammetry missions with DroneDeploy, they are telling us we can't choose Litchi for some features DJI has chosen not make available, and any other SDK-dependent service we need. I am not a prisioner of DJI and will consider other alternatives now. Also they should be sued for false marketing ... they call a drone a pro, but say they won't provide features they took away from us because that drone they call pro is not a pro. They are fakes.
What are the alternatives you're looking at?

If you require the SDK, and bought the Mavic 3 before the SDK was released, that is hardly DJI's fault. Follow your own advice. Wait until the SDK is released, and Litchi and DroneDeploy are available for it. Patience, young Grasshopper.

I feel your pain... like many of us, waiting for the SDK to be utilized in 3rd Party Apps! For my purposes, it's not used much and sits in case... waiting!

Other drones... I've looked, not much in options that equal the Mavic3 and provide mapping and 3rd Party support like DJI associated 3rd Party Apps & Tools.

I'm half way kidding.... the Mavic 3 Enterprise may be the option. It'll likely have mapping and features the Mavic 3 lacks. Although, like prev mentioned... it'll be similar SDK which indirectly means the Mavic 3 SDK support would be closely behind.

That said.. I am curious as to the Mavic 3 Enterprise and payloads in their own competition with the M30. If they equip with rumored IR Thermo and retain MFT RGB sensor... it might be an impressive craft over the M30, although it still has an awesome RC radio.

Reactions: Debaser_AZ
I feel your pain... like many of us, waiting for the SDK to be utilized in 3rd Party Apps! For my purposes, it's not used much and sits in case... waiting!

Other drones... I've looked, not much in options that equal the Mavic3 and provide mapping and 3rd Party support like DJI associated 3rd Party Apps & Tools.

I'm half way kidding.... the Mavic 3 Enterprise may be the option. It'll likely have mapping and features the Mavic 3 lacks. Although, like prev mentioned... it'll be similar SDK which indirectly means the Mavic 3 SDK support would be closely behind.

That said.. I am curious as to the Mavic 3 Enterprise and payloads in their own competition with the M30. If they equip with rumored IR Thermo and retain MFT RGB sensor... it might be an impressive craft over the M30, although it still has an awesome RC radio.

Sees they wanted there enterprise all a long to do waypoints lol.

Reactions: Coskier
Finally offering the mechanical shutter in a MFT on M3E.
Great for it's stated purpose of mapping.

The M3T is at a nice price point for 640 Thermo too.

Be interesting after dust settles on new... if payloads are swappable. That would be a nice option... even if not technically intended by DJI.

Reactions: VenomXts
I don't believe the Air 2S supports SDK, which would allow it to do mapping, which I don't think it can. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Mini 2 are the most recent DJI drones I know of that will support mapping in this series. The M3E will, for just under $4,000. Gotta do a lot of maps to make that work.

Reactions: lorpal
I don't believe the Air 2S supports SDK, which would allow it to do mapping, which I don't think it can. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro, Mini 2 are the most recent DJI drones I know of that will support mapping in this series. The M3E will, for just under $4,000. Gotta do a lot of maps to make that work.
I use an Air2s and Dronelink for mapping missions several times a week.

All,

I am a ASPRS Cert Photogrammetrist and Mapping Scientist and also Remote Sensing Manager for a survey firm that uses a fleet of Phantom 4 Pros as our tools. Had high hopes the Mavic 3 Pro would be the golden ticket to replace the P4Pros for aerial mapping and was deeply disappointed to get confirmation directly from a DJI rep who is on the M3Pro team that, in his words "The GSPro would not be supporting the M3, the M3 is not Mobile SDK compatible and it does not support waypoint mission". I immediately panicked, and asked for confirmation again that the drone will not support mission planning and aerial mapping and got this 2nd reply "Yeah… Since the M3 is a consumer product, our new consumer would very unlikely to be supported with SDK." to which I told them they are making a HUGE MISTAKE and got this 3rd reply "Yes, our team had discussion internally and the M3 is confirmed would not support waypoint mission."

So despite hearing rumblings from DroneU and others that this may support mission planning and mapping I got 3 hard "no" responses from a rep who says he's on the team of developers there for it.... I'm currently in the painful process of trying to return our unit past it's 15 day return window because it currently is only useful as a paperweight for our survey company.

If anyone has heard a conflicting story I'd love to hear it.
Same story here. DJI pushed the sdk would come to the m3 and then after selling a bunch came out with the M3e and decided we m3 owners were simply out of luck. Go buy a m3e, like most of us can afford it. In my mind its more than disappointing. DJI should be ashamed of their business practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada