DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 - zoom test and helicopter shows up.

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
While testing my Mavic 3 a police helicopter start flying in my zone, just passing by. I decrees the altitude but i was able to record the hemipter with the zoom up to 28X
I need to say that is very easy to control the zoom and is very precise. I really like it.

This was with everything in auto. no video editing for quality.

Good capture! From the Zoom in on the water and walkway, but also zooming in on the helicopter and keeping it in frame. Well Done!

If you watch closely, you see the green glare at the center of the frame (1:59), when pointing the lens towards the direction of the sunlight. The issue is being called "green ghost" and is currently being discussed in multiple Mavic 3 user forums. The current suspect is linked to the lens coating of the camera.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: careless
If you watch closely, you see the green glare at the center of the frame (1:59), when pointing the lens towards the direction of the sunlight. The issue is being called "green ghost" and is currently being discussed in multiple Magic 3 user forums. The current suspect is linked to the lens coating of the main camera.
ohh wow. I now noticed, its go from left to right. Yes its looks like a lens issues. The thing is that that entire video was taken with the zoom camera, not the main.

ohh wow. I now noticed, its go from left to right. Yes its looks like a lens issues. The thing is that that entire video was taken with the zoom camera, not the main.
It's lens flare. Certainly from coatings, and the glass itself, but the tiny size gives away this is not the main camera because these lens flares are related to sensor. The flares on my Autel E2P are pentagonal at F11 aperture and octagonal at F10. They actually look really wild and I generally like them. Not everyone does though and few would love that green dot after a while, I suspect.

Very nice

I also had a helicopter close encounter this week with the mavic 3. I was flying at my local flying field with a lot of RC planes and suddenly this helicopter comes in very low like maybe three hundred feet. He's so low I can see the pilot's face clearly. I get the warning in the app as to an aircraft in the vicinity. Then it warns me to lower my altitude. I can't do that as I'm over trees! In a few more seconds I find that my sticks are frozen and I can no longer move in any direction but down. So I lower myself to just above the treeline and wait for this helicopter pilot to move out of my air space. Once he does my stix go back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this yet?

I also had a helicopter close encounter this week with the mavic 3. I was flying at my local flying field with a lot of RC planes and suddenly this helicopter comes in very low like maybe three hundred feet. He's so low I can see the pilot's face clearly. I get the warning in the app as to an aircraft in the vicinity. Then it warns me to lower my altitude. I can't do that as I'm over trees! In a few more seconds I find that my sticks are frozen and I can no longer move in any direction but down. So I lower myself to just above the treeline and wait for this helicopter pilot to move out of my air space. Once he does my stix go back to normal. Has anyone else experienced this yet?
Wow. That would be scary. Is it legal for the chopper pilot to do that?

impressive. The zoom lens is the greatest asset on the 3 . Be along way away from things and still get close.

Reactions: zeusfl
Many of my construction jobs are on and adjacent to airports. My first time using the M3 at a site, it became clear that the AirSense system was not going to be too useful. Once it triggered, it continued alarming unabated the entire flight.

I was flying off the end of a runway that is typically only used by GA aircraft, but not that day!

(The zoom lens was not used! - hadn't worked on learning that "feature" yet...)

HVAS211110-36.jpgHVAS211110-37.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN