DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3M RTH Times Out 🤦‍♂️

No_Egrets

Reactions
Greetings pilots!

I'm so honored to post the inaugural problem thread in this brand new forum. I'd like your help in troubleshooting an issue I'm having with the Return-To-Home Function on my Mavic 3M. I'm flying with DJI Pilot 2 on the DJI RC Pro Enterprise remote controller. My drone is configured with the DJI RTK attachment and is connected to an Emlid Reach RS2 base station via Local NTRIP connection. The drone reports sub-centimeter accuracy from RTK. I'm flying in Normal Flight mode, manually piloting the aircraft or flying along a Mapping Flight path. Here's my issue:

The return-to-home function will occasionally fail to initiate. When I press the RTH button, it shows a "returning to home..." popup on the controller, and the drone will stop on its flight path... but it will just hover in the air. After about 15-20 seconds of hovering, the "return to home" popup will disappear. When I do this during a mapping flight, the drone will resume it's mapping flight path after the RTH times out. To actually return to home, I have to pause the mapping flight and manually fly the drone home.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this in other Mavic 3 or Phantom RTK drones? I have an open support ticket with DJI on this issue. Thank you all for your input!

Fly safe,
No_egrets

@No_Egrets First, Welcome to Mavic Pilots!!
When you press return to home bottom, are you making a quick press or are you pressing for about 1-2 seconds? You will hear a beeping tones about 3 times before RTH is initialized.

Somebody with more experience using DJI Pilot 2 can help.

Hi Zeusfl, I am holding the RTH button for 1-2 seconds until the controller beeps three times, speaks "return to home" and throws the popup. The aborted RTH shows up in the flight log.

Hi Zeusfl, I am holding the RTH button for 1-2 seconds until the controller beeps three times, speaks "return to home" and throws the popup. The aborted RTH shows up in the flight log.
So is aborting by it self without input? If that is the case, check if the satellites dropped from 11-13

Can you share the flying log?

1677199440004.png
1677199530093.png

1677199657382.png

1677199915723.png

I want to leave the opinion to the experts like @Meta4 @slup @sar104 and many others.
My impression is does not trigger correctly because you do not flew too far or high enough or is foggy.

The Mavic 3E may behave different to the regular Mavic 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard R
I would try to fly a little bit farther out and then initiate a return home

Reactions: pspec
From JJB in DJI forums.
1677245110397.png

Is it possible that the setting for what to do in RTH mode is set to Hover?
In the Fly app there is an option to Hover, Immediate land, or RTH. Maybe the Pilot 2 app has a similar setting?

Is it possible that the setting for what to do in RTH mode is set to Hover?
In the Fly app there is an option to Hover, Immediate land, or RTH. Maybe the Pilot 2 app has a similar setting?
RTH is a mode that can not be changed. What can be changed is the disconnection behavior, Set to Hover, Land, or Return to Home. But RTH will be always Return to Home.

I stand corrected, I was just looking for a simple answer, which oftentimes gets overlooked when we overthink problems. So now you may be back to needing to be a minimum distance and altitude away from HP, as suggested in #7. Is 50 ft enough?
BTW, what is the Flight Record Analysis Program and HD Flight Player you are using? Is it only for the Enterprise versions? 3rd Party?

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
I stand corrected, I was just looking for a simple answer, which oftentimes gets overlooked when we overthink problems. So now you may be back to needing to be a minimum distance and altitude away from HP, as suggested in #7. Is 50 ft enough?
BTW, what is the Flight Record Analysis Program and HD Flight Player you are using? Is it only for the Enterprise versions? 3rd Party?
The Player is by Airdata.com but I like more the DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help one.
The Other one is FRAP made by JJB using the record produced by Phamtomhelp.com is a collaboration.

Also Phantomhelp has one that is really good as well that i will be buying soon for me.

So now you may be back to needing to be a minimum distance and altitude away from HP, as suggested in #7. Is 50 ft enough?
Fifty feet is enough.
The data shows that the drone entered RTH Mode and did not land in place.

DJI continues to tinker with RTH process in new models, rather than sticking to the same old system we're familiar with.
From p17 and 18 on the Mavic 3M manual:
RTH Settings

If the aircraft is further than 50 m from the home point when RTH begins, the aircraft will plan the RTH path, fly to an open area while avoiding obstacles, ascend to the RTH Altitude, and return to home using the best path.
If the aircraft is at a distance of 5 to 50 m from the home point when RTH begins, the aircraft will not ascend to the RTH Altitude and instead return to home using the best path at the current altitude.

Reactions: zeusfl
UPDATE!! DJI was very responsive to my help ticket and they fixed this issue in their firmware update on March 3, 2023...
looks like I volunteered to be a beta tester for this drone! I did a round of test flights today and RTH worked every time, including during takeoff, mapping and manual flights. Here is the firmware that works:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Thank you everyone for your input. I hope others find this helpful.

Over and out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS