DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3s?

The price point is my stumbling block. Not because I don’t have the funds. For ME, not certain it’s worth it. It’s a jump up in price even for what is offered which we still don’t know how wondrous it is. Confabulation is fun until I’m spinning my wheels too much. Refer back to BigAl post. Godspeed, Droniac

Nothing wrong with keeping your M2 (which I assume you have).

Obviously the M3 will be better but unless you need the extra flight time, the different video resolutions/frame rates, or the second camera, you won't be much further ahead. Still image quality will be better from the 4/3 sensor but not enormously so. The extra range is a moot point in most countries as well.

My only real complaints with the M2P are the lower quality (subsampled) video shot in full FOV mode, overall low-ish bitrate, and the fact that the drone does not do on-board distortion correction in 10bit modes.

Reactions: Droniac
Very interesting reads from all. I bought my Spark a year after it came out and have just bought the MA2 a yearish after it came out. Been very happy with both and whilst there are some extras on the S perfectly happy with MA2 spec. Looking forward to seeing what the mooted MA3 specs are and fully expect them to be a significant improvement on the 2. Will admire from a distance as no dosh left in the drone coffers!

Very interesting reads from all. I bought my Spark a year after it came out and have just bought the MA2 a yearish after it came out. Been very happy with both and whilst there are some extras on the S perfectly happy with MA2 spec. Looking forward to seeing what the mooted MA3 specs are and fully expect them to be a significant improvement on the 2. Will admire from a distance as no dosh left in the drone coffers!

The Mavic 3 specs have leaked in their entirety if you are curious to check them out.

It's highly unlikely.

First, they did not do anything like this with the Mavic 2 lineup.

Second, what could they reasonably add to it without making significant changes to the core design? The spec sheet already reads like a wish list and has 'large' sensors with 2 cameras

Third, when these things happen, typically it's with cheaper lower-end products that are easier to change.

I think you might see an Enterprise variant or other similar variants for specialized purposes, but I would be shocked if they did anything that made you regret your purchase only a few months later.
Potentially a higher MP x6?

This professional drone videographer in Sarasota got triggered when I corrected him in regards to the Mavic Pro 3...

He kept reiterating that it had a 1” sensor and I told him it would have a 4/3” sensor...

He never called me back because he is butthurt 😂 A professional who used the Phantom & Inspire should probably be aware that the Mavic Pro 3 is the device to retire the Phantom drone.

Phantom drone becomes obselete once this drone is released because I’ve read it can do 4K120. I know 100% it will do 4K60. I’m fine with 2.7k120, but if it’s 4K120, then this is the biggest jump in drone tech in half a decade....

This means the “Inspire 3” in 2022 is going to create even more separation in this segment. The “Air 2S” with that 1” sensor left clues about the “Mavic Pro 3”....

What clues do the “Mavic Pro 3” tell us about the “Inspire 3”? 8K FF sensor to compete with the Sony A1 mounted on the Sony Drone...🧠

Last edited by a moderator:
Integral with the increased zoom capabilities…
It looks like it is 24mm with the 4/3” sensor at wide angle and then it can go to 160mm with a 1/2” sensor at telephoto...

Is this correct? I use the RX100m6/7 cameras on the ground and those go between 24-200mm, and would closely mirror the capabilities of this Mavic Pro 3.

Is this Mavic 3 Pro going to actually be able to do 24-160mm optically, or will that be a digital zoom. Screw digital zooms

It looks like it is 24mm with the 4/3” sensor at wide angle and then it can go to 160mm with a 1/2” sensor at telephoto...

Is this correct? I use the RX100m6/7 cameras on the ground and those go between 24-200mm, and would closely mirror the capabilities of this Mavic Pro 3.

Is this Mavic 3 Pro going to actually be able to do 24-160mm optically, or will that be a digital zoom. Screw digital zooms
There's no zoom, it's two different cameras with fixed focal length lenses on them so if they use the term 7x zoom it's because consumers will likely understand that better than stating the two focal lengths.

Reactions: barrybcar
There may be some "software fusion" like most phone manufacturers do to provide continuous "zoom" with multiple fixed focal length cameras... but the intermediate range would likely be meant for observation rather than shooting good video.

There's no zoom, it's two different cameras with fixed focal length lenses on them so if they use the term 7x zoom it's because consumers will likely understand that better than stating the two focal lengths.
10-4.

So what you are saying is that this drone has two fixed focal lengths of:

24mm @ 4/3”
160mm @ 1/2”

Any maneuvering between them is digital zoom?

Also I just realized even more striking similarities between the flying frog and the Mavic Pro 3:
8C6C1B41-34F5-4E7B-9FD1-1C0A1D5F83EE.jpeg
They designed it like the flying frog and the front sensors look like the eyes...the 160mm telephoto lens is the tongue of the drone catching the object at a distance
D1A53985-04BC-42C4-BD52-B89742D41FA1.png

Does anyone think that the M3 is going to be quickly updated with a M3s model? The same scenario as what happened with the Air 2 and then the Air 2s being released a couple months later?
I believe DJI released the Mavic Air 2 on April 27, 2020, and the Air 2S on April 15, 2021.

IMHO I may wait a year to digest all the reviews and experiences people have with this drone after release. By then it should drop some in price for the new in box because of time. In the meantime though there is much I need to master before then. Of course with the inflation that's coming that may not be the case, in which case I'll tighten the budget and be happy with what I have. (of course Christmas is just around the corner, isn't it).

Last edited:
10-4.

So what you are saying is that this drone has two fixed focal lengths of:

24mm @ 4/3”
160mm @ 1/2”

Any maneuvering between them is digital zoom?

I don't know what software functionality DJI will implement in terms of zooming but yes, it will have a wide angle larger sensor and a separate telephoto lens with a smaller sensor.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying