DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 1 vs Mini 2 for portability

dulcificum

Reactions
With the large and heavy controller for the Mini 2, is there an argument to be made for using the Air 1 instead when weight and volume are at a premium?

Let's say you're on a multi-day fast and light hiking trip with a 3.5kg baseweight. The Mini 2 + controller = 626g. The Air using virtual sticks controller is only 430g. Even including a spare battery for each, the Air 1 wins comfortably.

I'm not sure about the size difference when packed of the Air 1 vs the Mini 2 + controller but I imagine they would be similar all in.

The only question that remains is how many features does each have that the other doesn't? Obstacle avoidance is an obvious plus as is Active Track. However I love the fact the Mini 2 is much more stealth and it has OccuSync. Camera quality I'm not sure what's the best as presumably the Air has a bigger sensor.

Any ideas?

Considering the AC power & wind resistance, feature set, camera features/output qualities, total fly ready size/weight & maturity FW wise ... it's a no brainer if you already have a MA1... keep it.

The drawbacks with the MA1 in comparison is the enhanced WiFi vs Occusync & the shorter flight times ... but both of these can be somewhat mitigated by that you have the possibility to do the FCC hack (if you're in a CE country which UK is...) for a stronger signal strength & ... carry an extra battery.

If I would buy a new drone ... it would not be an upgrade as I would keep the MA1 due to the portability factor, it would be to have a second one equipped with a camera with much better low light performance than what exists today ... Mavic 3 Pro?

New into the drone world ... then it's not so clear, total package wise pretty much as above, but here the model age of the MA1 comes into play when it comes to spare parts, purchasing new batteries & accessories.

Reactions: dulcificum
Thanks. I own neither at the moment.

And anything heavier like a Pro would not be an option as weight would be my primary concern.

Thanks. I own neither at the moment.

And anything heavier like a Pro would not be an option as weight would be my primary concern.
A MA1 can still be a viable alternative ... will most probably not be a problem to source thing for it at least 2 years forward ... and I imagine that it can be bought pretty cheap nowadays. So going with a MA1 to begin with, waiting for all new drone regulations to become clear ... can be an alternative.

Yeah I'm aware of the regs but the difference really is minimal. With A2 CofC both are A1 so the only benefit is flying over uninvolved people.

I wish they’d add the ability to fly the Mini with a smart phone only, for the type of quick video and photos I do while out mountain biking or hiking it would be ideal, even at 100m max distance. The benefit of the larger Mini 2 controller means while I’m out on multi day hikes combined with a 26800mAh power bank I can fly everyday with the Mini, also should I need the Mobile charging in case of emergency I can always fall back on either the charging hub/ batteries or internal controller battery.

I wish they’d add the ability to fly the Mini with a smart phone only, for the type of quick video and photos I do while out mountain biking or hiking it would be ideal, even at 100m max distance. The benefit of the larger Mini 2 controller means while I’m out on multi day hikes combined with a 26800mAh power bank I can fly everyday with the Mini, also should I need the Mobile charging in case of emergency I can always fall back on either the charging hub/ batteries or internal controller battery.
100% agree it's absolutely crazy that they don't!

The difference in the UK, Europe is huge. The Mini 2 is useable in operations A1, fly almost anywhere as long as you do not endanger anyone, I.e. Fly over people, fly in residential, industrial, close to people. Read the CAA new drone rules, being < 250g enables a whole new legal flying opportunity.

Due to weight of the drone even with a C of C anything over 250g has to keep 50m away.
Yeah I'm aware of the regs but the difference really is minimal. With A2 CofC both are A1 so the only benefit is flying over uninvolved people.

MA1 is much noisier than MM2. Noise and low flight time was a major concern since release, with only the MPP to compare at the time.

I have a Tello that I have the option of flying on screen sticks vs optional BT remote. I much prefer the remote, when it works right (sometimes sends uncommanded stick signals). But you say you're comfortable with virtual stick so forget my opinion about that. [emoji3]

I am also concerned about the weight, but I have a bit different situation. I have air 1 and think of replacing it by mini 2. Active track - no need. Sensors - no need. I just use the air 1 in open spaces for quickshots or esy shots on my bike rides. Is the mini 2 a worthy upgrade regarding my usage. Has it a better low light performance as the air 1. And, does it upload wirelessly quicker as air1?

I've got both the Mavic Air and Mini 2. I really find myself flying the Mini 2 more now. Not so much because it's the "newer" one, I just like like video and still shots from it over the Air. If it's windy I'll fly the Air, if not the Mini 2 goes up. I've stayed with DJI, because of reviews and dependability, but I thought a copy of the Mini 2, a Fima X8, is suppose to be a close runner up of it. Think it's a little lighter in weight, not by much, but something you've shown a concern for. I'd go with the Mini 2 in the end run. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929