DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great drone

African wildlife

Reactions
I'm an experienced P4P+ owner, and the drone is used only for professional filming. The P4P+ was the first and only drone I'd flown until today, as the video quality was finally sufficient for our needs. (The Inspire 2 had been rejected by us, partly because of larger size and weight.)

When the Mavic series developed, I somewhat quietly disagreed with all of those who claimed "greater portability". Yes, of course, this was true - but it was relative. We had no problem whatsoever in carrying the P4P+ in a dedicated backpack, in addition to other filming/photography equipment including a heavy professional tripod and metal teleprompter stand. And by "we", it was usually just two of us. We almost always work in remote areas, often involving long walks through rugged/challenging terrain. I'm now in my 60s, with a rare form of muscular dystrophy which doesn't help, yet we still find that the P4P+ is comfortably portable.

So, fast forward to seven or eight weeks ago, when I became aware that the Mini 2 had just been released. To us, the incredible low weight and size was a game-changer. Not to replace the P4P+, which is still going strong, but as an alternative or addition when we have to travel as light as possible.

Our Mini 2 arrived yesterday and the first test flight occurred today. It's obviously a great drone - well designed and built. Okay, the wind here today is very light - and I don't expect that we'll ever be flying it in very windy conditions, as it isn't the P4P+ - but it flies wonderfully. The controller feels sturdy (although, understandably, I miss the fantastic integrated super-bright screen of the P4P+). The 4K video is undoubtedly "good enough" for short sections to be dropped into any but the highest quality of films. The stills photography is likewise more than acceptable.

I've read and watched varying assessments of the Mini 2. Whereas you can usually tell whose judgement to trust more than that of others, it's still not conclusive. And there are opinions, opinions, and opinions - not least influenced by the "other" drones that people own and fly. For anyone who is considering getting the Mini 2, wanting a quality drone capable of quality output, you won't be disappointed. The standard of equipment is always important when doing your work is dependent upon it, but too many people place too much importance on equipment for the sake of equipment. Some people are equipment collectors, always eager to get the latest model or gadget. In photography and filmmaking, there are more crucial considerations: great composition, correct exposure, and that all-important idea for a project. We almost always fly/film during the golden hours, for example. In conclusion, whereas the specifications might not be the highest available, the DJI Mini 2 is nevertheless a genuinely great drone.

I used to lug my Phantoms across North Yorkshire and the Peak District - sometimes on my back while mountain biking. The Mini2 is a dream for someone that likes to take long walks (mountain biking is beyond me now).

Lastrexking: Good to hear. A Phantom would be seen as being as light as a feather to a Nepali. (I used to work in the mountains of Nepal for few years; even the kids carry heavy loads without blinking.)

Reactions: Lastrexking
UPDATE: Only one of the landing pads left, mentioned above, if you're in the UK and looking for a great choice.

UPDATE: Both spare landing pads have now gone.

As the link above to my General Discussions thread is no longer working, anyone in the US wanting a great, foldable, rugged, waterproof, washable, landing pad should check out the Moment one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne