DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 and Air 2S?

I recently purchased an Air 2 unknowing of the upcoming Air 2s release. After looking at some of the initial reviews, specs, and videos I decided to eat the $150 restocking fee on the Air 2 and buy the Air 2s instead. For me, it was primarily due to the benefits of the sensor upgrade, the improved tracking, and OS3 is just icing on the cake. I am concerned about the 4k60 cropping that I saw in one of the videos, but I think the other sensor improvements outweigh that negative and I'm hoping that's just a software bug. I wouldn't spend the money if I planned to be a casual user, and I almost didn't. I tend to be more on the enthusiast side with my hobbies and less casual hobbyist, and I knew I would regret not spending the money in the long run.

I think both will continue to be offered because the price difference is significant, and not all of the features will be worth the extra cost for all users.

I suspect there is little hope, the hardware in the MA2 is not designed to support that camera, and while I cannot know for sure, chances are even the cable and connector to the MB in the drone is probably not the same... Not to mention mounting it would be different since its an obviously larger gimbal..
There is also software in the MA2s to support the camera that the MA2 does not have.

Im on the horns of a dilemma and always appreciate the advice I get here. I have a mini and love it. Took me a while to learn. I’m over 70 and haven’t had much videogame experience. Had to sharpen my coordination skills.
My biggest issue was losing it in the sky even though I had attached red decals to it. I’m debating about getting the new Air 2S or the DJI FPV. I like the thought of having the motion avoidance sensors but excited about the possibility of seeing where I’m going in goggles. Interesting comments from others about “motion sickness” when using the goggles. Any advice tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again for all your help

Im on the horns of a dilemma and always appreciate the advice I get here. I have a mini and love it. Took me a while to learn. I’m over 70 and haven’t had much videogame experience. Had to sharpen my coordination skills.
My biggest issue was losing it in the sky even though I had attached red decals to it. I’m debating about getting the new Air 2S or the DJI FPV. I like the thought of having the motion avoidance sensors but excited about the possibility of seeing where I’m going in goggles. Interesting comments from others about “motion sickness” when using the goggles. Any advice tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again for all your help
Right now I don't think the Mini or MA2 or MA2S supports DJI googles, and while that may change for MA2S, I don't think that clear yet, if it is, I missed it. And you're probably right, if you're sensitive to motion, wearing googles is not going to help you fly much. I think the only drone for sure that supports google is the FPV.

Its easy in bright conditions or bright cloudy skies to lose visual contact with your drone, unless its very close to you in the first place, they are just not very big, though some decals that are out there that might be better then red decals depending on their size. you can check a site called decalgirl.com for something that might cover your whole drone and make it more visible.

You can always look on the map, or video to see where your drone is.. and navigate to recover visual, and assuming you've set a home point, you could easily RTH..

Last edited:
The DJI FPV is a huge step up from the Mini. It is very fast and meant more for high speed maneuvers and maybe racing. If the Mini was a learning curve this would be a huge step up in complexity. I think most Mavic Mini, Mavic Air2 and the like would find it a bit challenging at first. If you are enjoying the Mini, I might suggest the Mavic Air 2 or the new DJI Air 2s. Both use the same controller as the DJI Mini 2 and would pretty much erase any learning curve for you.
Happy flying.

Reactions: judell
it will be heavily discounted i think ,i cannot see them keeping on for long as they are to similar in a lot of things.
I bet they’ll be no such thing as a discount on the Mavic air I’ve never discounted anything especially one year after releasing it it’ll be the same price

Reactions: ninja_geezer
I bet they’ll be no such thing as a discount on the Mavic air I’ve never discounted anything especially one year after releasing it it’ll be the same price
you mabe right but i have seen a small drop in some uk stores

I know this is a little outside the box, but if you don't mind spending the money, you might consider getting an Oculus Quest 2. If you're not familiar, it's a standalone VR headset for $300. It will give you the chance to see if you get motion sickness and use controllers that are similar in style to DJI's motion controller. There is no drone simulator, but there is a flight simulator that may be enough to give you an idea if you want to get the FPV while hopefully having some fun in the process.

I'll share my thoughts. The Air2S is a flying camera and the FPV is a drone with a camera, albeit a bit of a crossover bird. I would look at the A2S for photography/video and the FPV as an experience in flying. I'm in it for the camera and learned from a video by Greg's Institute that the A2S has a fixed aperture making my MP2 a preferable drone for me. I appreciate the control of depth of field and obviously both are now 1" sensors. I have flown a friends Mavic Pro with goggles and it is an amazing experience. I very much felt as if I was 200' in the air looking down at the world.

The DJI FPV is a huge step up from the Mini. It is very fast and meant more for high speed maneuvers and maybe racing. If the Mini was a learning curve this would be a huge step up in complexity. I think most Mavic Mini, Mavic Air2 and the like would find it a bit challenging at first. If you are enjoying the Mini, I might suggest the Mavic Air 2 or the new DJI Air 2s. Both use the same controller as the DJI Mini 2 and would pretty much erase any learning curve for you.
Happy flying.
Just the advice and guidance I’m looking for.
I’m going to get the Air2S
Thanks again

I'll share my thoughts. The Air2S is a flying camera and the FPV is a drone with a camera, albeit a bit of a crossover bird. I would look at the A2S for photography/video and the FPV as an experience in flying. I'm in it for the camera and learned from a video by Greg's Institute that the A2S has a fixed aperture making my MP2 a preferable drone for me. I appreciate the control of depth of field and obviously both are now 1" sensors. I have flown a friends Mavic Pro with goggles and it is an amazing experience. I very much felt as if I was 200' in the air looking down at the world.
Can you please post a link to Gregs Institute. I may be interested in that aspect. Thanks again.

I know this is a little outside the box, but if you don't mind spending the money, you might consider getting an Oculus Quest 2. If you're not familiar, it's a standalone VR headset for $300. It will give you the chance to see if you get motion sickness and use controllers that are similar in style to DJI's motion controller. There is no drone simulator, but there is a flight simulator that may be enough to give you an idea if you want to get the FPV while hopefully having some fun in the process.
Will the Oculus Quest 2 goggles work with the AIr 2S?
may give it a shot.
Thanks

Reactions: judell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan