DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 as a beginner's drone or Not?

Newbie, Amazon sells the loudspeaker below for the MA2. I’m not personally familiar with it and have not purchased it, so I cannot recommend it. But If you really need a loud speaker system for your drone, you may want to read more about it. Amazon also has others for sale but I thought this may be one of the better ones. Good flying!

O'woda Drone Megaphone, Wireless Speaker with Bundle Strap USB Charging Aerial Broadcasting 2KM Control Distance for DJI Mavic Mini 2/Mavic Air 2/Mini/Mavic 2/Pro/Phantom Spare Parts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JC48XT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_K335FbSMX9J2C

Hi Smooth Rhythm

Thank you very much. I noted they mention its good to talk to your neighbours while under quarantine - better than a phone call or whatsapp LOL

One scenario, they did not mention is getting stuck at sea in your rubber duck without a phone, and being able to send your drone to the shore with the load speaker to ask for help LOL

If you look at the reviews for the speaker from Amazon, be sure to filter for this "style". Seems Amazon is bunching this with the airdrop

I was advised to buy the Mavic Air 2 in this CE country I am in, then hack it to FCC to get at least 8km range (and 8km return to home) on our massive farm (for surveillance) in this CE country
You seem to be set on flying 8 km away, but a few pointers might help avoid over-optimism.

The specs for the Air 2 indicate a max range of 6-10 km CE/FCC.
That's the maximum distance under optimum conditions (no wind, no interference).
You've mentioned things can be windy where you are.
Flying against any wind will reduce the drone's achievable speed (and distance).
If you are aiming to fly out to maximum distance, you need to work with a safety margin to allow for the unexpected and ensure a safe return.
Pushing things to the limit is a good way to run into trouble.

Also .. the controller for the Air 2 doesn't have the kind of antennas that older DJI drones have.
It looks like it wouldn't take the antenna reflectors and yagi antennas that work on earlier DJI drones.

If you were to attach lights or speakers, they are going to add weight and wind resistance, reducing range and speed.

DanMan32 and​

Meta4

Thank you for your insight here.

I am disappointed, but also glad you forwarned me that I can't buy the long distance antenna/yaggi antenna etc. I am not sure if DJI does these things intentionally? Not that it makes any difference, but I was told they dont like to be hacked. One thing I do know is I will probably only fly 50 metres away when starting off (out of sheer fear)

Thank you
Best wishes

They do have yagi for the new style remote. Many have had success. Note that it does not increase power, only concentrates it like a cone megaphone concentrates one's voice. This makes the signal more directional.

Make sure you acquire the bomb drop comptration on Ebay. It will scare the living hell out of the undesirables. To be warn there could be collateral damage if not pinpointed correctly.

Hi DanMan32
May I ask is this a standard Yaggi? Or one that is specific for this remote control? Do you have any idea if it increases the range by 400 to 500 metres (546 yards)?
Thank you DanMan32

Hi DanMan32
May I ask is this a standard Yaggi? Or one that is specific for this remote control? Do you have any idea if it increases the range by 400 to 500 metres (546 yards)?
Thank you DanMan32
One made for MM2 and/or MA2.
I can't say how much it will increase but 500m is a small amount compared to the stock specifications so assuming it isn't local interference shortening the range, you should get a noticeable increase.

Hi thank you for this, Do you know what the official name of the device is?
Thank you
Best wishes

Check these links out.

I have seen some in the past for different drones that used a separate radio transmitter for the release mechanisms.

But this model uses a photo cell (electric eye} and the on board LED landing light that can be activated from the remote to release the payload.

MA2 317

thank you for these brilliant links. I see they are very well priced at Banggood.

I have pondered upon this law about not being allowed to carry cargo. Do most countries make an exception when it comes to carrying fish bait?
Many tnx
Best wishes

Reactions: MA2 317

Meta4

Thank you for this,
What you are saying is that the Yaggie is not bought from DJI. I would like to buy one that is reasonably priced, considering all the initial expenses. This is indeed a most expensive hobby LOL

May I ask the members here please:

I have placed the order for the MA2 (I hope and pray that I will not burn my poor fingers, literally poor LOL).

Now I am looking for a second hand iphone.

Do you know if an old iphone with 16GB will be adequate? I have never owned one in my entire life. I always used to regard Apple as being for the rich and famous LOL

I heard that one has to register to download the mod flyapp. Can we use a pseudonym with regard to iphone or must we give them all our personal details (sorry to the members that I follow world events and news closely, and have taken heed of what Edward Snowden taught us).

Sorry again for all the most basic questions.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best wishes

Do you know if an old iphone with 16GB will be adequate? I have never owned one in my entire life. I always used to regard Apple as being for the rich and famous LOL
Is it one from DJI's recommended list for DJI Fly?
Requires iOS 11.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro Max,iPhone 11 Pro,iPhone 11,iPhone XS Max,iPhone XS,iPhone XR,iPhone X,iPhone 8 Plus,iPhone 8,iPhone 7 Plus,iPhone 7,iPhone 6s Plus,iPhone 6s,iPhone 6 Plus,iPhone 6
You don't have to use an Apple device, there are plenty of Android devices that work just as well too.
I heard that one has to register to download the mod flyapp. Can we use a pseudonym with regard to iphone or must we give them all our personal details (sorry to the members that I follow world events and news closely, and have taken heed of what Edward Snowden taught us).
You will have to open an account with DJI to use the app.
That's no big deal.
And you don't have to give all your personal details - just a name and email address.
I can't see any need for concern about that and would be extremely surprised if Edward Snowden had suggested anything relevant to drone flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green